Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Gold Tone mandocello

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gold Tone mandocello

In case it helps anyone chasing buzzes etc I have found them to be quite common on the C courses on mandoloncellos I have used.
    The action and spacing on those needs to be very high by comparison with anything else I've seen. You need a real slope on the bridge to lift them high enough to be able to drive into the pair with any force and not have them slap each other and the fretboard. The distance they travel is very large by comparison with other string courses and they have a pretty large mass which takes a while to get settled in sympathy with it's partner. They start off out of sync due to the pick pulling them quite far before releasing them sequentially.

This was a real bother to me initially, and until I make a new bridge with a wider spacing and steeper slope across the G & C courses, the best compromise I have found is to use the 0.0740" C from the D'Addario string set, i would actuall prefer to go for something even bigger to get more tension in there. The problem with the J78s is every A course pair I've tried has not been able to come up to tension witout snapping on a 26" scale so I have to buy 18s for that. Certainly the spacing being even across courses makes little sense to me on a mandoloncello.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Played the GT cello yesterday at Namm for just a bit. Just hit it acoustically.

Neck felt decent, was very quiet though. IMO don't think it would work very well just acoustic. Rep said they're sold out of them ATM so there's def a niche for them.

How did it sound besides quiet?

I also saw you posted that Eastman had their mandocellos at namm. Did you try them out and how would you say they compare to this in terms of playability?

It sounded decent. I would've liked to have plugged it in as well but wasnt able to at the time. Personally though, it would have to sound great unplugged for me to get one. Just can't get past that it really just looks like an archtop gtr. To me that matters.

The Eastmans both played well. Physically a bit tougher on the left hand I'd say then the GT cello. I prefer the oval hole to the f hole model but that's my .02

Rep said they're sold out of them ATM so there's def a niche for them.
    My understanding they only made 16 of them in the first run.

Quote Originally Posted by NotMelloCello View Post

Wait. Where did you hear this? if it is an actual fact then I have to go to the store an get my deposit back.
    Brian

Wait. Where did you hear this? if it is an actual fact then I have to go to the store an get my deposit back.
    Someone at Gold Tone in a recent phone call to find out WTH was taking so long....

Thank you.
    Brian

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NotMelloCello View Post
    Incorrect.

Per our discussion with Wayne yesterday there's a batch of 64 sitting across the pond that got caught up in a new CITES ruling, posted this in the NAMM thread yesterday. No questions for us, please. No need to get us involved in the dead horse beating you seem intent on that we're receiving complaints about. Not about the criticism, but the fact you're creating about half the posts in the entire thread. Maybe give it a rest a bit? There's a fine line between enough and way too much which you crossed a long time ago in my opinion. The forum encourages and welcomes open and respectful criticism, within limits. Thank you.

10. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

42 posts out of 134 makes half? OK - I'm no math genius. But since I'm not wanted, I'M OUTTA HERE.

Ended up putting a deposit one from Elderly a few days ago since they weren't sure when they were getting them in and had one left unspoken for. For me being on the quiet side acoustically is fine since I'm pretty sure I'll just be playing for me (and the unwilling apartments next door).

Their site has updated from just the single stock photo now, so I'm hoping that means they're in and it'll just be a few days!

Hope it's not a long wait. Nothing worse than waiting for the ups truck! Please let us know your thoughts on it.
    Its not a backwards guitar.

There's a place in Maryland that has two in stock. One is a prototype with the wider nut. It's called music traditions. They recently posted a video online. I also got some good feedback from elderly in regards to it. I might take the 2 hour drive to the store if no one here scoops it up. If not, I will give a deposit to elderly and wait a long time for it to come in. Elderly will at least set it up decently prior to free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddyfingers View Post
    There's a place in Maryland that has two in stock. One is a prototype with the wider nut. It's called music traditions.
    I think you mean the House of Musical Traditions!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

16. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I'm hoping the same on the wait. Will definitely give some updates when it comes. Thanks for referencing that video. Great to hear it being played a little differently while I wait the little longer until I can do it myself.

Look forward to hearing what you think if you wind up driving for it!

OK, short note while I have time. It's starting to settle in. Hard to tune constantly up until this week. Even when I played it for one song Sunday morning with our worship band. Had to tune 3 times during our practice and before both song sets. Had it out Monday and tuned it and today only the C-string has gone a little sharp. Others stayed in tune. Getting stronger in the fretting department and notes are now sounding clearer as I play. Think it needs a little heavier strings, since one of the A-strings is heavier(caused by one breaking while setting it up and didn't have comparable replacement.) and sounds better than the original. Still quiet tho. Hope it opens up like my mandolins have. More later, got to get Grandblessings from school and to their piano, guitar, cello lessons.

Appreciate Mello, Rodney, and others who have shared your thoughts on these instruments. Think I'll either let them work some bugs out before jumping, or at least wait until I can try before buying...
    Chuck

Well, if you're dying to get your hands on one ...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-Tone-Ac...kAAOSw9GhYiRAS
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

There's a place in Maryland that has two in stock. One is a prototype with the wider nut. It's called music traditions. They recently posted a video online. I also got some good feedback from elderly in regards to it. I might take the 2 hour drive to the store if no one here scoops it up. If not, I will give a deposit to elderly and wait a long time for it to come in. Elderly will at least set it up decently prior to free shipping.
    I also saw the video. I went over to House of Musical Traditions after work today, spent some time playing the non-prototype, and ended up buying it. I thought it sounded very good without amplification, and quite impressive with it. I spent some time playing it tonight, and have no regrets about buying it. It was nice to buy local, from a store that is a great supporter of the local music and dance community.

Ya beat me too it. It was too far a drive to get up there before the weekend. Congrats!

Wish I had a place near me to grab one. Elderly has mine in, but is in the doing a setup stage of it and then I have to wait for it to ship too.

Glad to hear that you're liking it!

Quote Originally Posted by John in MD View Post
    I also saw the video. I went over to House of Musical Traditions after work today, spent some time playing the non-prototype, and ended up buying it. I thought it sounded very good without amplification, and quite impressive with it. I spent some time playing it tonight, and have no regrets about buying it. It was nice to buy local, from a store that is a great supporter of the local music and dance community.

Did you have a chance to play or look at the wider nut model? I was curious how much different it played.

Did you have a chance to play or look at the wider nut model? I was curious how much different it played.
    I didn't spend a lot of time with it, and probably didn't give it a fair trial as I had assumed going in that I wanted the narrower nut. I played it briefly, then switched to the narrower version and liked it better. The prototype was also slightly more expensive.

26. The following members say thank you to John in MD for this post:

I've spent 10 days playing it, 20 hours or so setting it up and repairing it, and an extra $100 trying to make my Gold Tone mandocello play well and sound good. It's right there, but I can't change that narrow neck. So look for it soon in the classifieds... There will be lots of pictures, etc., and it will be priced nicely. I gave it a shot anyway.

Lots of pix if you're interested.....
    http://s588.photobucket.com/user/stu...?sort=3&page=1

What happened to my EDIT buttons?

EDIT: there is a 3 hour limit on editing a post, and you must be logged in in order to do so. Thread has now been closed because of Forum posting guidelines:

- Refrain from using the forum as a point of purchasing or selling items or for the purpose of discussing or linking to items you are selling. Please limit selling and buying activities to the Classifieds section of this web site or other external locations.
    Last edited by Mandolin Cafe; Jan-30-2017 at 8:48am. Reason: thread has been closed because item is for sale in classifieds