Thread: Flat-Top Mandolins

Default Flat-Top Mandolins

I'm getting close to upgrading my beginner mandolin (I started learning on a cheap Fender FM 100, which has served me well), and I've decided I want to move up to a flat-top mandolin, for a number of reasons: price, I don't see myself playing a lot of bluegrass, I like the simplicity of the aesthetics (hate to say it, but I find the scrolls on f-style mandos a bit ostentatious), I want an oval hole mando, etc., etc.

Anyway, my budget is under 1k, and I had pretty much decided on a Big Muddy, but if you haven't heard, the maker has had a family member take ill, and he's not currently building (you can check the Big Muddy web site for details). I might end up waiting to see if he starts building again soon, but I also am starting to wonder about other flat-top options. I've played an older Flatiron, which I liked, but which wasn't totally to my taste, but beyond that I'm not really sure what other flat-top options there are, as almost all new mandos seem to be arch-tops. Are there other builders of new flat-top mandolins I should be looking into?

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

3. The following members say thank you to darrylicshon for this post:

Default Re: Flat-Top Mandolins

Check out Crystal Forest mandolins here http://crystalforestmandolins.com/
    Terry Majewski builds beautiful mandolins that sound as good as they look (NFI). Look around his informative site and you will see lots of pictures of what he can build for you. Also, he's a really nice guy, so you will like dealing with him.

You might also check out Poe Mandolins. They sound really great. His new builds are around $1500, but you could probably pick up a used one for under 1K. He also has one in the classifieds now for $1350.

Good suggestions above. Also check out Morris, those seem really nice.
    Blow on, man.

Just wait a bit and a used MidMo/Big Muddy will appear in the Classifieds. You'll save a lot of money buying one used too.

8. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Do all these suggestions fit within the $1k limit in the OP's post?
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

... not all those who wander are lost ...

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
    A new Crystal Forest does, at least the last time I checked. They are a really great buy. Custom made by a one-Luthier shop for that kind of money? Really worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
    A used Poe certainly does, and $1350 for a brand new one isn't far off.

Red Valley mandolins luthier, James Wilson (Sedona, Arizona), handcrafts his extraordinary AM and EM series flat-top mandolins.
    I purchased a EM flat-top over two years ago, under $1K with hard case, an excellent choice. It has a strong, bright voice with great projection - both to the audience and player. Plays wonderfully up and down the neck. Intonation is spot on.
    I don't know, there is something about these mandolins, they just "feel" right when you play them. The cosmetics are minimal (the AM model has more features), and the finish is quite neutral, which is not such a bad thing as the natural timber grain and colors stand out. If I was to acquire another flat-top, I would not go past these.

I agree with Denman John -- Sawchyn Beavertail, made by Peter Sawchyn in Regina, Saskatchewan. He makes great mandolins of all levels, but the Beavertails (his flat-top line) still use the same woods and are made with the same workmanship as his high-end F models. And you can custom order cosmetic upgrades if desired. Plus if buying from the USA, you have the advantage of the dropping Canadian dollar. Definitely give them a look (he has a web site listed under Builders here).
    Too many instruments...too little time

Wow, that Beavertail is a beauty. And a true bargain, it seems, especially in USD. Anyone else have opinions on it?

I have never played a Big Muddy or Flatiron, but I do own several others mentioned in this thread. The Poe Scout is my favorite, but you will have to buy used (I did) to get under the $1K mark. The Redline Traveler is really nice, moderate price, and has both an adjustable bridge and adjustable truss rod which does not seem to be that common with flat tops. The Red Valley just has an outstanding natural feel due to the finish, a more teardrop shape and bright tone. All are excellent, just depends on personal preferences regarding look/feel/tone for choosing between them.
    -Jim

limited to those changing hands, used, due to the death of the builder, But ...

I took My David Hodson D'Jangolin to the Jam last night , and will to another Tonight .

I got mine 2nd hand off the Classifieds .. bright clear sound .. sold for $900 at the time

including metal flake red Custom thermoplastic hard case.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Used Martin Style A. You can still find 'em for $6-900, they're fully depreciated and will probably increase in value, and they're well-made, sweet-sounding, readily available and identifiable mandolins.

I love the Flatiron "pancakes," but if they're not your cup of tea, I'd recommend a Martin. Well, they're technically "canted-top" instead of "flat-top," but IMHO would definitely meet your needs.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

19. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

The Martins are nice sounding mandolins, just be aware that the scale length is 13" vs. just shy of 14 for most of the other things discussed so far.

There was a used Mid Missouri in the classifieds a few pages in... mahogany body.

Keep your eye out for an used Arches Flat Top Oval as well. Very, very good mandolin.
    Steve

I have a Crystal Forest mandolin, #20. It plays and sounds great. It is quite loud, too! I think the neck is a little chunkier(thicker) than my Eastman 600 or Jacobsen #37.

I really enjoy my Red Valley. It can really project. Amazing sustain too. Check out some videos on youtube to give you an idea how they sound. No financial interest - just a happy customer....

Blog Entries

There is a nice Morris flattop on ebay right now @ $650. Full disclosure: I own a Morris F-style, so I may be biased when I say I think he makes a great mandolin for the money.