Default Re: Northfield Model M Mandolin: the end of the line & worth the

This particular model intrigues me.

Thanks,
    Dem

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    This particular model intrigues me.
    Me too. Having owned (like Nic) a Collings MT and a Pava, I'm curious to see what Northfield could accomplish with their entry level A, particularly with a varnish finish.

P.S. Nic, I think there's a typo with your signature and that the Model M should be listed as a 2015 model.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Me too. Having owned (like Nic) a Collings MT and a Pava, I'm curious to see what Northfield could accomplish with their entry level A, particularly with a varnish finish.

P.S. Nic, I think there's a typo with your signature and that the Model M should be listed as a 2015 model.
    Yes thanks Pat.

Ok in answer to Demetrius's interest a Northfield model M does not have the traditional bling of other As in that price range. But it does have a warm woody sound when set up well. When I first had it there was a problem with its factory set up. There isn't now because I know now what to do to improve it.

And it is fun to play and brings me a warm glow same as my Collings MT. They are essentially the same species of mandolin both having Engelmann Spruce tops and possibly Red Maple backs. Ask Collings about that to make sure.
    Nic Gellie

Installed a Gidgee scratch plate instead of the plastic one from the factory:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0730.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	754.0 KB 
ID:	160653
    Nic Gellie

I'm curious whether the OP still has his Northfield Model M, and, if so, what additional thoughts he might have about it with the passage of a couple years. I'm in the process of acquiring one of these models and want to read more about them!

I wish I still had it. I had to let it go finally along with a Collings MT gloss top - both were very fine mandolins. I enjoyed playing it a lot. It was good in a jam session. In fact both were good in a jam session. I am heading now for a Collings MT2. I just like Collings mandolins the best now.
    Nic Gellie

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gellie View Post
    I wish I still had it. I had to let it go finally along with a Collings MT gloss top - both were very fine mandolins. I enjoyed playing it a lot. It was good in a jam session. In fact both were good in a jam session. I am heading now for a Collings MT2. I just like Collings mandolins the best now.
    Thanks for replying. Those MT2s are fantastic. I played one at a shop last week, and it was a revelation. I'm excited for the Model M. It's a big step up in quality from what I'm playing now, and I love the design.