Thread: D'addario J73

Default D'addario J73

Has anyone ever tried the D'addario J73 strings? Thy are size 10-38 vs 11-40 on the J74s.

What are your thoughts?

Default Re: D'addario J73

I haven't played with those, but two of my instruments are strung with .009-.013-.020-.032.

The more tension, the thicker the top needs to be to withstand the pressure.

And the harder it is for the top to vibrate with all that down pressure, the same way a speaker can't move as easily if you're pushing down hard on the center of the cone with your thumb.

If a top isn't hugely overbuilt to withstand those pressures, it often will move even more sensitively when there is less downwards pressure.

After experimenting with my mandolins, I also strung my Flatiron mandola more loosely. It was always a cannon, and now it's even louder.

So, I haven't tried that set, but I've had great results with even lighter strings than those.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

Blog Entries

Hi Bmartuch, Those are a good compromise in string gauge, if you need a lighter string and still want that dependable, great tone of the D'Addario Phosphor Bronze. I think they are worth the trial. Let us know!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

I use them on my 1920 Gibson A and they sound and feel great!
    Last edited by Tailgate; Sep-21-2015 at 10:08pm. Reason: spelling

5. The following members say thank you to Tailgate for this post:

I have them on my 1918 A1 and I like them a lot.
    Blow on, man.

That is my "go to" set. Used them on all my previous mandolins(Collings, Webers, Northfield, Pava).

They are the set I keep spare packs of.
    I like the tone, ease of use, and for my playing style they give plenty of sound production.
    Adam Steffey uses them at times on his mandolins also.

they tend to last long for me as well.

d

8. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

I play a Collings MTO for all kinds of different music. I've always used the j-74's just because that's what it came with. What to you guys think the 73's would do with that instrument?

Thanks.

I use 10-36 for lighter feel , thicker strings for more power, as they take the heavier pick hand.

dont have a Çollings MTO, but they do go on my 1922 Gibby A.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

11. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

In Illinois, halfway between here and there.

Have recently started using the J 73's although I still use the GHS 10-36 sets too. The 73's feel good and I like that little extra punch on the G string (38 vs 36) but they still are easy to play, not too stiff. I like the lighter gauge strings both because my hands are old and sore, but also because I feel they allow the mandolin to resonate a little more, more overtones maybe? Any how the sound seems a little richer to me.
    Peace

13. The following members say thank you to Ken for this post:

Well, I just installed them the other day so they are just starting to settle down. I will let you know what I think after I use them a bit.

15. The following members say thank you to bmartuch for this post:

I use them on my flat top mandolins and love the sparkle they give. They end up being just as loud as J74s on these mandolins, I guess because of the reduction of down force on the bridge and top.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

I've tried them on my MD515. While they are easier on the fingers than J74s, I didn't care for the sound. In comparison, they sounded rather dull and lifeless, without the snap that the J74 have. I've had them on for a couple of weeks, and I got used to the sound, but after I changed back to J74s (and other medium tension strings), I knew what I've been missing. I will not put them on this particular instrument again.

Peter

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

I used to think heavier was louder; but now, in mandolin land, the rules are all out the door. whoosh.

Try em and see for your mando. I am considering those to make playing easier for my sore fingeys. That will be on my TLoar700.

I think there's a tendency for the mando to shift a bit in the neck relief; might take a few days to show up. Simple truss rod tweak adjust should deal with that, if needed. Yeh, it could go too low, if you already run real low. Might not be an issue. It depends.
    It could also throw the intonation a bit. But if you like them, these adjusts are easily done. Re-intonate - again. Getting good at that.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".