Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your worst mando ding story

25 seconds? I never knew the internet had a flow control valve.

Anyway, If always been if a mind that musical instruments and furniture for sitting don't belong in the same sentence.
    Anybody ever sat on one?
    "If you've got time to breathe, you've got time for music," Briscoe Darling

What a great thread! Chris Baird, I love your sense of humor!

I was carefully lifting my new Rigel A+ Deluxe from the case in a manner to be sure that I wouldn't scratch the finish on the case latches that I banged the headstock right into a glass shelf. I quickly boiled some water and with a sponge lifted the dent until it became invisible. I was lucky!!!
    Rigel...the original Vermont Teddy Bear!

Yea, this tread is making me feel a lot better. I am the Village Idiot who left my Brentrup in the living room chair during a brief phone conversation. My Retriever puppy did a little preening around the F holes for me. I now refer to the mandolin as "Chewy"
    Bill

I wish my last post was my worst ding story, NOT. About three years back during a sound check I was approached by a young sound guy with his mouth hanging open at the sound of my Steven Owsley Smith ocatave mandolin. We chated, I placed the instrument in a stand, and went back stage. Suddenly hearing a crashing open string kind of clang, knowing something hit the top of the SOS. There stands the sound guy picking up my vocal mic from the floor near my octave mandolin. Result is a two inch crack in the top which was repaired and did not change the sound. The sound guy was speachless, I also did not say much as I was trying to keep my cool before a performance.
    Bill

This was not a bad ding, but it had a major duhh factor: I was tuning a flat-top I once owned, and decided to place my Korg chromatic tuner on top of the sound board. Well the tuner is pretty light, so apparently the vibrations in the sound board caused it to bounce about minutely, but very quickly, so the two tiny plastic nipples on the back of it that sort of serve as its legs, traced tiny little gouge-paths in the surface of the sound board. The two paths sort of looked like two tiny druken wood-eating worms went to work on my mandolin top, going around in tiny circles, and then passed out or otherwise quit work on their little project.

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?

instrument stands are bad news...esp on the stage. i cracked the neck of my first mandolin when it was resting comfortably in its stand....problem was the mando strap was dangling on the floor - a nice little loop - and i rushed by and my foot caught the strap, pulling the mando down with it!
    i cant even begin to state the number of times i've seen crashing instruments on stage as bands try to change out and soundmen rearrange mic stands.
    just wear your instrument around your neck!

worst 'ding' i ever saw was at a jam when a guy put his banjo neck thru a guys d-35..... ever seen the pointed tip of a mastertone neck?...makes a clean gouge.