Thread: "mini bouzouki"

Default "mini bouzouki"

I took an old, inexpensive mandola, fitted it with thicker strings* (octaves for lower two courses), tuned it EADG (hi-to-lo) & have a most pleasant sounding/playing instrument that for all practical purposes is essentially a "mini bouzouki". Anything goes in this fun game.

* E- 14/14
    A- 24w/24w
    D- 37w/17
    G- 53w/28w

http://DennisHavlena.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	138472  

Default Re: "mini bouzouki"

Erm, would that not just be considered an octave mandolin?

What is the scale length?
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

lost in the woods below Lake Tahoe, California

My knowledge here is purely academic but I think OM's are strung all in unison, not lower courses in octaves. An Irish Bouzouki would be tuned gG-dD-aa-dd so if you slack the top course that's what you have effectively. A bouzouki pro might have another opinion.
    Mandos: Coleman & Soviet ovals; Kay & Rogue A5's; Harmonia F2 & mandola
    Ukuleles: 3 okay tenors; 3 cheap sopranos; Harmonia concert & baritone
    Banjos: Gretsch banjolin; Varsity banjolele; Orlando 5-string; fretless & fretted Cümbüs o'uds
    Acoustic guitars: Martin Backpacker; Ibanez Performance; Art et Lutherie; Academy dobro; Ovation 12-string
    Others: Maffick & First Act dulcimers; Mexican cuatro-menor; Puerto Rican cuatro; Martin tiple; electrics
    Wanted: charango; balalaika; bowlback mando

Blog Entries

I know some folks who use split octaves on their mandolins. Just the G and D. They use two sets of strings, use an A string tuned to the higher G, and an e string tuned to the higher D. The unwound strings they keep regular.

Its a cool sound.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I know some folks who use split octaves on their mandolins. Just the G and D. They use two sets of strings, use an A string tuned to the higher G, and an e string tuned to the higher D. The unwound strings they keep regular.

Its a cool sound.
    I have the pervy notion to string a mando ALL in octaves, gG-dD-Aa-Ee. Chord-chopping should be interesting, yah?
    Banjos: Gretsch banjolin; Varsity banjolele; Orlando 5-string; fretless & fretted Cümbüs o'uds
    Acoustic guitars: Martin Backpacker; Ibanez Performance; Art et Lutherie; Academy dobro; Ovation 12-string
    Others: Maffick & First Act dulcimers; Mexican cuatro-menor; Puerto Rican cuatro; Martin tiple; electrics

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Hm. I'd like to hear a youtube demo of a mandolin strung in octaves off someone else first
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by k0k0peli View Post
    I have the pervy notion to string a mando ALL in octaves,
    Interesting.

But the deal was these folks play mostly rags on mandolins, bowlback mandolins, strung with split octaves G and D. The way they play sounds real cool, with clean melodies in the high notes and all the wrangle jangle you could want in the low notes.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I have a Regal Octofone with octaved lower courses, GDAE octave mandolin tuning. Great for chording, perhaps a bit muddy for melody work on the 3rd and 4th courses.

Octave stringing a standard mandolin is a neat idea, sorta. The 1st course E string at .014 is not all that much heavier than standard mando tuning, to be tuned an octave low. You don't get any buzzing or a "sloppy" feel on the first two courses?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Octave stringing a standard mandolin is a neat idea, sorta. The 1st course E string at .014 is not all that much heavier than standard mando tuning, to be tuned an octave low. You don't get any buzzing or a "sloppy" feel on the first two courses?
    Might need to cut a new nut if I just move strings around. It would definitely be muddy as a melody instrument but should give strong chording.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    Hm. I'd like to hear a youtube demo of a mandolin strung in octaves off someone else first
    Octave stringing the bottom two courses of a standard mandolin is a very old concept. Joe Craven does it a lot and at 18 minutes into this video you can hear the effect really well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLLgla3c9DU
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Octave stringing is all well and good, if you happen to like it.

But that has got nothing to do with the concept of "bouzouki sound" - recognizable bouzouki sound primarily comes from a combination of long scale and light string gauge and can be further enhanced with open tunings like GDAD. Putting thicker cables on a short instrument carries you further away from bouzouki sound, not nearer to it.

Listen to this example and try to mimick that with an instrument shorter than 20", and good luck
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I think the octave tuning (in a blues context) was called "Brownsville Tuning".

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

put octave pairs on my celtic mandolin last week. And tuned to GDAD. well you only live once ha ha.
    ... and it's a lot of fun!
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Hi from northern Michigan, Thanks for the bunch of neat comments & observations!
    Never paid much attention to definitions & classifications but this mini-bouzouki nicely serves in lieu of my standard zouki. String length is 14 3/8" - a bit short by mandola standards but works fine for mini-bouzouki purposes. There's no question in my mind that a big part of zouki's sound does indeed come from having octave strings on the lowest two courses. I've been ####### with "mini" versions of a number of instruments -- for example, turned a beat-up 1/2 sized cello into a mini-bass -- Fender electric flatwounds -- same pitch/octave as a big upright. Not quite as loud but a ton of fun in a living room-sized situation. Dennis http://DennisHavlena.com.

ps: the forum wouldn't let me say f a r t i n g !! Come on