Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rover RM-75

Default Rover RM-75

Is the Rover RM-75 a decent mandolin for a first one? I play guitar but have never attempted to play a mandolin. Is there anything I should look for when looking at this model ? There is one for sale in my area.

Thanks
    Steve

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

Default Re: Rover RM-75

My first mandolin was an RM-75. I got it after playing guitar for 10 years. It was a good starter mandolin. I ended up really getting into mandolin, and because I had some higher end guitars, I quickly wished for a higher quality mandolin. That said, it was still a good starter instrument. I wanted an F style, so this was pretty much the cheapest option at the time. I know they've gotten better since I bought mine, and maybe with a great set-up and upgraded bridge (cumberland maybe) it would satisfy you longer than it did me.
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

Ok being new to mandolins what does it entail to change out a bridge on one? Are they glued in like a guitar bridge?. Know what you mean about higher end instruments, as all of my acoustical guitars are Martin.

So this one I am looking at is for sale for $260 with a hard shell case.. It is a 2008 model

Steve

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

These threads are sure to have the answers to your questions; happy researching and good luck on your mando purchase!

Rover Rm-75 Mandolin Cafe
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

The first rover I saw was $99 new and it rivaled my 2000 flatiron. I didn't buy it because at the time I thought if I bought one more mandolin I would have to get another wife, and I canna like this one. She asked me why I didn't buy it so I went back to get it and it was gone. I've seen some very decent ones since then but none as good as that ohe

Quote Originally Posted by slk View Post
    Ok being new to mandolins what does it entail to change out a bridge on one? Are they glued in like a guitar bridge?. Know what you mean about higher end instruments, as all of my acoustical guitars are Martin.

So this one I am looking at is for sale for $260 with a hard shell case.. It is a 2008 model

Steve
    They are "floating" bridges and are therefore only held on by string tension.

7. The following members say thank you to Seattle for this post:

To change a bridge on an arched top instrument the base would need to be fitted to the arched top.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I had a RM 75 and it was decent mandolin. It's strong point was it chopped well and was easy to play. You may want to ad a Eastman 315 or 305 and J bouviers to the list. The Mandolin Store has lots of clips to listen they can give you an idea what the various models sound like.
    Weber Bitteroot Custom
    Eastman 905D 2 point
    Scott Cao 850
    Taylor NS34CE
    "You have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is"

I have an older one in the dark cherry color.
    I like it, and have gotten compliments on its sound. $260 is a pretty good price. Go check it out. If you can't play it, ask the seller to demo it for you.
    I paid $200 for mine (also with a case)--make an offer. I have no plans to sell mine, it's a keeper.

If you're not dead-set on an F-style mandolin, you can probably get a better deal on an A-style for the same amount. Especially if you luck out on a good used instrument.

With an A-style, you're essentially spending less money on ornaments, more money on sound quality.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ausdoerrt For This Useful Post:

Here is a pic of the only blemish on the mandolin, and may be why he is not asking more. Looks like a small ding/nick

My first mandolin was an RM-75 and it's a great starter mando. Playability is great and the sound is pretty good for a $400 mandolin. I sold it to another beginner for $200 when I moved up and got more serious. My biggest issue was my RM-75 couldn't hold tune well and started giving me fits when I started gigging with it but it was fine for learning on.
    =======
    Ellis F5 #81 (2006)
    Collings MT
    Eastman MD904

Agree, especially if it's well set up, that it's a very solid starter instrument, and I've played a couple over the years that could last you well into intermediacy without issue. It's nice that the FB extension is scooped as well. I'd have no qualms about buying it to start on (or use as a beater if my Eastman 315 even succumbs to the abuse) provided it feels OK in your hands and doesn't have any obvious structural issues. Regarding changing a bridge, check out frets.com (Frank Ford from Gryphon Strings). The last time I was on there it took a little navigating to find, but there's a ton of info there. And, the bridge that's on there may be perfectly acceptable...
    Chuck

All in all I have seen decent reviews for the Rover. I don't think I have seen a real negative review on this site at all. I am going to go look at it Saturday, as all I have seen of it is pictures at this point.

I'm jus gonna note that if the seller was conscientious enough to do a nice job with that damping strip of leather on the strings near the tailpiece, the instrument is probably in great shape.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

18. The following members say thank you to Explorer for this post:

$260 for an all-solid-wood, carved-top F-model mandolin, with a hardshell case, is a real bargain IMHO. Even if you had to spend $50 to get a set-up from an instrument repair shop, you'd be in good shape financially. And, as stated above, you may well not need one.

Before getting into "modifications" like bridge replacement -- and tuner replacement, tailpiece replacement, all these "improvements" that some people like to make to lower-end instruments -- play it for a while, see if it meets your needs. The RM-75 gets good marks as an entry-level F-model, and the price sure is right.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

20. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Chris, That sounds really good to me. You did a nice job. The instrument does sound good

Steve

I've been playing an RM 75 I got used in 2005 for 10 years now. it sounds and plays Great.
    Jim Richmond

Well guys I pulled the trigger this morning and picked up the Rover. I actually got it for $220.00..Thought that was very good for me , and it was a price I could live with without feeling any buyers remorse.

Now that I have it home the 3 extra sets of strings that came with it are John Pearse Set# 2250 Mandola strings, and not mandolin strings. Are these strings useable on the Rover?????The ones on it are much smaller diameter like 10's or 11's

This is it home

I use j 74 ( 40/11) strings on mine, I am sure it could handle J 75 (41 /11.5) but I would not go heavier than that.
    Jim Richmond

Great looking mandolin and a great price. Congrats on that one.

Thanks much. Everyone here was a huge help to me in deciding on my first mandolin. I have never played one before in my life, but have played guitar since I was 4 ( I am 65 now). Before going to pick it up I looked up some easy 2 finger chords so I would not look too bad to the seller. I think I am going to like it..........

Thanks
    Steve

Great price for an F style with case. I had one of those about 6 years ago and it was absolutely great for any beginner or intermediate. Set up is everything and very much undervalued. get a "mandolin guy" to check it over but you should be Ok with that for quite a while and get your money back easy when you move up.

Jimmy

UK

29. The following members say thank you to jimmy powells for this post:

I have a really dumb question about it, but an important one. How do you change the strings on it? That little chrome plate I think has to come off to get to them, but I don't want to damage it by doing it the wrong way. The manual did not come with it. Thought while I had everything off I would clean the frets and fingerboard. I will put a piece of tape marking where the bridge goes back.

Thanks
    Steve