Thread: changing an Ibanez PFT2 MT to GDAE

Default changing an Ibanez PFT2 MT to GDAE

I have an Ibanez PFT2 MT currently in CGDA and have been considering switching to GDAE. Has anyone done this yet, and what did you think?

As well, I will need some advice when I wind up taking it to the local music store to have them convert this - what I'd need them to do.

Still learning Taylor and Tenor's Avatar

Default Re: changing an Ibanez PFT2 MT to GDAE

I would think all you to do is to determine the correct string gauge and recut the nut slots for the slightly heavier strings. Be aware that once you recut the nut there may no going back. I might take it to a luthier as oppose to a music store where an inexperienced technician can screw up it.

Default Re: changing an Ibanez PFT2 MT to GDAE

There's always going back. I just saw a StewMac video on how to do it, though you will find it cheaper to pay a luthier to do it right than to buy the correct nut slot files.

I sort of agree with the concern about the music store luthier. Depending on where the OP lives, it may be that the guy is competent or even highly competent. Some small towns just can't support an independent luthier, but that doesn't mean that nobody in a small town can do the work. Ask around, get references, or at least talk to the guy and get an idea of his skills before you have him (or her!) do it. Otherwise, during the process of widening the slots they could inadvertently get cut deeper, too. That's fine if you want them deeper, but it's unlikely that they will all accidentally end up at the correct depth or all at the same depth.

If you want to do it yourself, you can make your own nut slot files from automotive feeler gauges. Pick the gauge you want then drag the edge of the gauge sideways across the file's teeth. This makes little cross-wise grooves in the feeler gauge, turning it into a little "saw". The teeth are so fine that it takes patience to make your cuts, but this is good because you don't want to rush it. You'll want to stop before you get to the bottom of the slot or you'll have a flat-bottomed slot. Then make a smaller size saw and work the bottom corners into a nice curve. Don't cut it deeper unless you want to! Remember that the slot tilts slightly so that the end of the slot facing the frets is the high point. Be sure and match that tilt.

Be aware that you probably won't get near as good a nut slot with these "saws" than with professional tools, but it costs very little and will work if you are on a tight budget and are patient. I did this on my baritone ukulele when converting it to GDAE and it worked perfectly well, though I still need to go in and widen the D slot as it sometimes sticks slightly when I tune up. Test the fit with a string in the slot so this doesn't happen to you.