Thread: For Non-Guitar Players Only

Default For Non-Guitar Players Only

So,
    Funny story I thought you guys might like. I don't play guitar, just mandolin, bouzouki, and bass. My almost-four-year-old son went to a kids story-time event. The leader brought out a guitar and asked if anyone knew what it was. My son immediately piped up and said "It's a Mandolin." Not right, but thanks for representing.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hattio For This Useful Post:

Ellen TG7MOF 

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Default Re: For Non-Guitar Players Only

Ah, gee. That's cute.
    First time I went to a jam w a mandolin, about 3/4's of the people didn't know what it was.

"A little baby guitar?" umm, no.

Same thing with telling someone I play mandolin ..... "you play what?" or "what's that?".

Well, it's the latest in cellphone tek. duh.
    oic .......!

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

Quote Originally Posted by hattio View Post
    So,
    I don't play guitar, just mandolin, bouzouki, and bass.
    Love the story!

Uh, string bass or electric bass?

"First time I went to a jam w a mandolin, about 3/4's of the people didn't know what it was."

Really?! I'm curious as to what kind of a jam that would be? I have to think that it's not bluegrass, Celtic, old timey, or even folk. Perhaps you walked into a Dixieland jam with 1 guitar and 3 tenor banjos?

Electric bass. I own an upright, but I cannot really claim to play it. Especially since it lives at a buddy's house. About a thousand miles away. I currently live in a town you have to fly into, and I certainly don't play it enough to justify a plane ticket.

7. The following members say thank you to hattio for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by hattio View Post
    Electric bass. I own an upright, but I cannot really claim to play it. Especially since it lives at a buddy's house. About a thousand miles away. I currently live in a town you have to fly into, and I certainly don't play it enough to justify a plane ticket.
    I get that - flying with a string bass is a serious matter!

I thinki may have transitioned into the "non guitar player" zone. Family reunion a few months back I had somehow forgotten my mandolin (curses to myself for that) and cousin Bob hands me his guitar and says "Your turn!" I took it and was overcome with this feeling of "What in the world is this giant thing!?" Remembered some chords but, was blank as far as singing anything! I made up three verses of nonsense which were (amazingly) well received but, I could not think of anything to sing and play!
    I will not forget my mandolin again!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	269.0 KB 
ID:	138342
    Bob is on the left, used to be serious biker, not used to hearing "No", one of the flat out nicest guys I know! I have known quite a few, all have been interesting!
    Sorry, this was taken before I learned the "orientation trick"!
    He built the grill,by the way, now he's building giant roasters and metal fabrication of all sorts of "Stuff!" (His choice of words)
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

10. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinitis View Post
    "First time I went to a jam w a mandolin, about 3/4's of the people didn't know what it was."

Really?! I'm curious as to what kind of a jam that would be? I have to think that it's not bluegrass, Celtic, old timey, or even folk. Perhaps you walked into a Dixieland jam with 1 guitar and 3 tenor banjos?
    Or when. I know years ago, you hardly ever saw a mandolin outside of bluegrass, like at a traditional Irish session, or a Southern old timey. I was the only mandolin at my home jam (Northern old time and contra dance fiddle tune) for many many years.

Mandolin is hardly ubiquitous now, but its likely there are one or two around.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinitis View Post

Well, I have been to a bluegrass jam where my A style mandolin was not recognized (by another mandolinist's wife, anyway).
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

Try tuning a guitar in 5ths like a mando ... voila, instant guitar player!

lost in the woods below Lake Tahoe, California

I envisage a foam add-on form to make an A-type look guitarish. Or baritone-uke-ish, almost the same. For fun, the form could be Telecaster-shaped.
    Mandos: Coleman & Soviet ovals; Kay & Rogue A5's; Harmonia F2 & mandola
    Ukuleles: 3 okay tenors; 3 cheap sopranos; Harmonia concert & baritone
    Banjos: Gretsch banjolin; Varsity banjolele; Orlando 5-string; fretless & fretted Cümbüs o'uds
    Acoustic guitars: Martin Backpacker; Ibanez Performance; Art et Lutherie; Academy dobro; Ovation 12-string
    Others: Maffick & First Act dulcimers; Mexican cuatro-menor; Puerto Rican cuatro; Martin tiple; electrics
    Wanted: charango; balalaika; bowlback mando

I have both mandolin and ukulele, and only found 1 person who knew what the ukulele was without being told. The culprit attended some pub jamming sessions and knew it from there.

Personally before I got into strings, I knew there were different types but couldn't tell you which was what, and I still can't. I can say if it's a ukulele or a mandolin, maybe an oud but thats it.

PS
    The only reason I know the oud, is from the loose association with Dr Who, and the Ood. I think a scene of the Ood playing the oud would be great.

JeffD is right. You seldom saw a mandolin outside of bluegrass but, if you listen carefully, you'll find that many, many artists use them in their recordings, then and now.

I played a neighborhood jam in Wichita a couple of years ago. I had the only mandolin in the group. Two people asked what it was. Granted, it was a natural Breedlove (Quartz FF) and is shaped a little different, but really? A Stratocaster and a D-28 look different but I do know they're still guitars.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

I am a guitar player (as well as electric bass and harmonica), but am finding that for me too my mandolin is taking over an ever increasing part of my practice and playing time. It's become my primary instrument with the group I play with at church. Though I thought it was a common instrument, I think my Breedlove Legacy OF confuses people: An 'A' style with F holes. So, I still get questions about 'what's that you're playing?" Fortunately it's also typically proceeded by "I really like that sound of that..."