Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Songs of any style that all mandolon players should know

Default Re: Songs of any style that all mandolon players should know

Not taking anything away from Alan Jackson, Glenn Campbell or any one else, I don't think you have to be "well known" to be a master at what you do. I know alot of musicians that are as good as or better than famous musicians but due to circumstances or just a lack of desire they don't make their living or play professionally. In all honesty, who don't know a singer that is " better" than Johnny Cash. The man was never even on key yet is considered a country great. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed listening to him and I don't even know why, but I know alot of others that I enjoy listening to that are better singers.

Wow. How far astray this thread has gotten.

Why oh why do we do our best to scare away newbies with simple questions? The OP is a beginner for goodness sake. How is he even supposed to know what genre he likes best without trying a few simple tunes in that genre first? Oh no, that won't do, that's not authentic, he has to pick a genre and totally immerse himself in it for years, preferably decades, before he can even pretend to be able to play it. You must become one with the music, my young apprentice! Don't you dare show up to a (insert genre of choice here) jam unless you completely understand the nuances. You will be given a nuance exam before being admitted to the jam. You wouldn't want the old timers rolling their eyes at you, right?

My background is classically trained, but I am more attracted to folk music genres when it comes to mandolin. I freely move between Irish/Celtic and Old Time and enjoy the heck out of it. I am in a gigging folk band that plays for actual audiences. And if I might not get the "nuances" exactly right, they don't seem to mind. Music is supposed to be about entertainment and creativity. I play bluegrass tunes only at home for my own amusement. I would never attend an actual bluegrass jam because of the attitudes towards newcomers I have read about here, numerous times.

One of our members here, I forget who, has the signature line "Mediocre, and ok with that". Ditto for me. Isn't this supposed to be fun?

To those of you who, like me, just simply answered the OP's question and gave him tune suggestions in a variety of genres, I say thank you. Truthfully, this whole debate about general playing versus specialized playing belongs in its own thread, not here. A classic hijack if I've ever seen one.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to multidon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ausdoerrt View Post
    OP, if you've got enough experience in music, I'd say just select a few tunes you like and try to play 'em on the mandolin. You'd be surprised how many popular tunes can be played with just a handful of chords. Then, of course, you can go crazy like me and start transposing metal songs and somesuch
    Ha! I knew I couldn't be the only one who does this!! I consider myself still a beginner player, having only been playing for a little over a year (and having little available time for practice). My teacher is having me work on some "old time" music to learn the basics and build up speed, but for fun we have branched out into other genres too. I have found several songs by The Ramones lend themselves to the mandolin, and am currently working on learning a couple of Herman's Hermits songs and Surfin' USA by The Beach Boys.

YMMV, but I think the whole point is to play what you like regardless of genre. The mandolin is a far more versatile instrument than it gets credit for, and if you're already familiar with the songs it will make it that much more fun to play.

Tammy
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Sep-13-2015 at 8:04am. Reason: Fixed quote syntax

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I know what you are saying, but isn't the whole thing a ruse?
    I don't feel that it is, no. I'm sure mileage does vary ..

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Everyone seems to think mandolin was invented to play British Isles/American folk music!
    Well, it took a while for it to achieve its true destiny, but isn't what it was ultimately meant for once it matured as an instrument?

(I'm kidding, and don't actually play any traditional music on mando.)

My suggestion is... start with what you like to sing along to.
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

7. The following members say thank you to Explorer for this post:

The writer C.S. Lewis was once asked for writing advice from a young girl. One of the things he told her is not only good, common sense, but I think it applies to music as well. He said, "Write about only what interests you, and nothing else." With that idea in mind,
    I'd say the best approach in music is to play only what interests you.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

That's good advice, and that's the way it should be. However, that will not help you when you find yourself in a situation like the one I was in last weekend. Playing in a fill-in spot in a pick-up band, I found myself having to play songs I really don't care for, like "Danny's Song," "Fire And Rain," "Feel Like Making Love," and my nemesis, "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald" - in a key I'm still not sure of. Of course, different rules apply in playing for fun and playing professionally, and you want the two to be as coincident as possible, but still ... I suppose one could argue that in such an instance, one would find interest in playing as well as possible in hopes that one's lack of interest wouldn't show, or bother anyone else. And I did that, as well as I could. I also tried to play as little as possible, so as not to mess anything up, nor contribute to the length of the song, so it would be over with quicker.

But that's all far down the line, after a beginner has achieved a certain level of proficiency, and hopefully professionalism. The more one plays, the more one is likely to find oneself in odd situations, and if one has developed the musical and personal skills needed to cope, the better off one will be. It's just something to keep in the back of the mind at this point.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

You ain't a mandolin player until you can play Rawhide!! And make it your own don't copy Monroe!! LOL!

11. The following members say thank you to jim_n_virginia for this post:

The important thing is to be able to play something they know on that little guitar.

The important thing about Rawhide is speed, it has never been payed fast enough.LOL

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Wow ...

One of our members here, I forget who, has the signature line "Mediocre, and ok with that". Ditto for me. Isn't this supposed to be fun?

Wow, indeed

I wonder: whether you might be surprised that some here take (making music) - a little more seriously, and perhaps have different aspirations (from yourself)..? Must we all strive for mediocrity?

I wonder: whether you might be surprised that some here take (making music) - a little more seriously, and perhaps have different aspirations (from yourself)..? Must we all strive for mediocrity?
    No, it does not surprise me at all. In fact, would it surprise you to find out that I take music seriously? Seriously enough, in fact, to have a bachelor's and master's degree in music, to have had a thirty year career teaching music, to have had eleven pieces for school orchestra published along with one feature article in a national music education magazine. Does that sound serious to you?

Throughout my career I worked hard to achieve excellence for myself and my students. After retirement, I was ready for, as Monty Python says, something completely different. This is why I threw myself into folk genres after 30 plus years of classical. This is why I decided to teach myself to play instruments I had never attempted before. This is why I picked up mandolin, along with octave mandolin, Celtic harp, hammered dulcimer, and mountain dulcimer in addition to guitar and violin, which I already played.

In my particular case, to be as clear as I can, I do not advocate mediocrity. I strive to be as good a player as I can be on my instruments. What I mean is, I am realistic enough to realize that, especially at my age, and with good old Arthur Itis setting in, I am only going to get to a certain level, especially playing so many different instruments. And I am ok with that. In effect, I have decided to trade virtuosity for versatility. Being versatile, I have concluded, is its own special ability, and I enjoy that much more that I would focusing on one instrument and one genre and trying to climb to the top of some figurative pyramid. It works for me. If focusing solely on one instrument and one genre works for you, great! Enjoy it! That's not for me though.

The point I was trying to make is that we have a beginner interested in learning a few simple tunes in a variety of genres, to get his toes wet, so to speak. And we have members here telling him he's thinking about it all wrong. I for one applaud him. And I understand him too. One big reason I am on this musical journey is that I crave variety. What is wrong with that? Absolutely nothing!
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to multidon For This Useful Post:

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

The first song I learned on the mandolin was "My Grandfather's Clock". I still play it all the time.

I little off topic, but I think the three most useful things you can learn as a new player are the G scale, the A scale, and the D scale. Then you will be able to play about 75% of the tunes out there on the mandolin.
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

The first song I learned on the mandolin was "My Grandfather's Clock". I still play it all the time.
    Ha! That's the song I played in my first "concert", on the "song flute" (simplified recorder). The entire third grade was accompanying me, of course!

I wanted to mention as a sometimes dulcimer player that just about every dulcimer player knows "Old Joe Clark" and "Boil 'em Cabbage Down". In fact, "Boil 'em Cabbage Down" has been referred to as the Dulcimer National Anthem! Those are both extremely simple on mandolin too. I find them great for noodling to practice changing keys. They are easy to change to D, G, C, etc.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Oh, thank you for taking the time to explain, multidon. Perhaps I jumped to conclusions in my reading of your take. Well, there are many forms/functions of music, yes.

All,

I think very one agrees to play what you enjoy, but there has to be a few songs in each genre that are popular among mandolin players.

I don't care the level of difficulty. This would be a running list to try new styles. I want exposure to different style to determine what I want to play. I enjoy listening to all of it which is why I picked it up.

Thanks,
    E,
    Thanks,
    E

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Purdy Bear View Post
    As a newbie too, I want to learn: I know a song to get on your nerves - just so I can annoy my neighbours to hell.
    G G G G G G G G7 repeat

And there should be a C at the fourth beat, but that wouldn't be annoying would it?
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

While I have to admit that it was a long hard climb for me to get to mediocre, I do not want to be satisfied with that. I dunno, maybe I should be. Or just find another word for it ... not mediocre but decent?

Blog Entries

Right. Perhaps "middling." "Mediocre" has a pejorative sense to it. It also has a connotation of permanence. One should hope to be able to improve to some satisfactory level of proficiency. And if one is to plateau, hopefully it will be at a pleasing level. Especially if one will be there a while. It's a matter of attitude.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by especking View Post
    All,

but there has to be a few songs in each genre that are popular among mandolin players.
    I think you get four mandolinners together and you will have five or six favorites. Any of the suggested tunes in each genre will suffice.

Outside of bluegrass, there really isn't a Mandolinners National Anthem. Bluegrass is the exception because, of all the folkie genres, it seems to have the most defined role for the mandolin.

Take traditional Irish tunes for example - There isn't really, in my experience, a mando-centric traditional Irish tune, particularly popular amongst mandolinners. The tunes that are popular in Irish sessions generally, would be, by default, what the mandolinners that play traditional Irish are playing.

There was a fellow who started a bunch of threads, each requesting the top ten jam tunes in a particular genre. I think there were three different genres in three different threads. I can't seem to find them now. If anyone remembers those threads, whatever results they yielded might be of service.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

25. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I would be interested in the answer, because I probably don't know them.

I saw something similar on a guitar centered website - giving the five songs every guitarist should know regardless of genre. The site list was all folk/rock, but I guess that is the normal expectation of those who ask beginners to "play us something".

I don't know what the expectation is for those asking a beginner mandolinner to play something. I really don't. I think its likely that I have avoided the top five, whatever they are.

I guess if the goal is to have something ready to play for those who don't necessarily have specific music in mind and just want to hear you play, friends and family etc., I might learn the theme from The Godfather, and perhaps Captain Corelli's Mandolin. It is likely that will be recognized and appreciated.

Friends of a certain age might recognize the mandolin break from Rod Stewart's Maggie May, Zeppelin's Battle of Evermore or of a different age the song Rise Up by Eddie Vedder and Paul McCartney's Dance Tonight.

Among some folks Vivaldi's Mandolin Concerto in C Major is absolutely the way to go.

For the record, I don't play any of the above - though I am working on the Vivaldi, and The Godfather is almost ready.

I would not say that any of the above are popular with mandolin players.
    Minus the percussion at the front I started messing around with the theme from Terminator 2 last week haha

Especking, I hope you are getting the answer to your question. I think it's in there somewhere. I guess you are learning something about this forum too. It's a great place. Really, it is. It's just that if you ask just the right question, and it catches some of us in a certain mood, stuff like this happens. Sometimes I think we can argue about anything around here!

If you dig though all the other stuff there are some good song suggestions here for you. Truth be told, I was unaware of the existence of the Mandolin Gold book, and I for one plan on purchasing it. It looks like a good one, and even though no one is going to agree on core repertoire for beginning/intermediate players, it looks to me like that book is as close as anyone is going to get.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Don,

I agree. The Mandolin Gold book looks great. It is on my to buy list.

I think it is great that there are diverse opinions.

Thanks keep the comments coming.

E
    Thanks,
    E

Quote Originally Posted by multidon View Post
    Wow. How far astray this thread has gotten.
    Don't be shocked by that.

With regards to mediocrity, I think music is a little bit like the Peter Principle. We all rise to our own level of incompetence. Some of us rise a lot higher than others but that really doesn't matter as long as you're enjoying the trip. I believe Chris Thile would enjoy playing the mandolin even if he wasn't the great player he is. Bill Monroe would have loved playing and singing even if he never made it out of Rosine.

Every time I think I've really nailed a tune I go to one of my regular haunts and play along with my friend Al. Here I am pushing out a song and then he does it and I can't figure out where he managed to find all the beautiful extraneous notes to enhance the song but he's got them.

Music should bring joy to the soul of the person making it even if it doesn't bring joy to soul of those listening to it.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

30. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Music should bring joy to the soul of the person making it even if it doesn't bring joy to soul of those listening to it.
    This. You have to be in it for your own enjoyment. If anyone else likes it, so much the better, but not the main thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    I don't think you have to be "well known" to be a master at what you do.
    And conversely, you don't have to be a master at what you do to be well known. But it's nice when the two go hand in hand, and even more so when the one leads to the other - that is, when one achieves recognition because of one's musical accomplishment, rather than some reason irrelevant to music.

BTW, I'm a little surprised at how many times "The Godfather" has been mentioned here. I'm not sure which of the two is meant - the main theme or the love theme. I've been playing the latter in my Italian restaurant repertoire, and while it is not terribly complicated, it's not that simple, either. Perhaps those saying something like that mean the former. I'm glad for the reminder, though - I should work that up.

32. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post: