Thread: finger position deviation

Is it usual or just eccentric to deviate from 1st finger - first two frets, 2nd finger - third and fourth fret, etc.
    I play chords and most double stops with standard positioning in first position and up, but sometimes it is just more expedient and efficient to alter the "rules" depending on where I came from and where the next movement will be to.
    an example - using first and third fingers to double stop (rather than the first and second) before dropping back into a chord.
    And, obviously, playing up the neck often requires being in several positions in the same song, hence the attempt for efficency.

I have learned by listening rather than watching, so have little reference. The few lessons I have been able to take have been with some great early Monroe style players, but in general, the "rules" prevail and, truthfully, I have been mostly focused on learning the lesson at hand. My observation at concerts and festivals is that different players have individual styles and approaches, even to the same material.

rasa

Quote Originally Posted by (rasa @ April 24 2005, 10:05)
    ...alter the "rules" depending on where I came from and where the next movement will be to.

rasa
    You nailed it with this. Where you are coming from and where you are going controls fingering and positions on every musical instrument I have ever played - piano, trombone, guitar, ukulele, mandolin... well, maybe not the pennywhistle.

There ain't no "rules". Play the music, man!

I was a guitar player for over 20 years.When I finally picked up a mandolin I thought the rules were the same one finger per fret. I spent 2 months playing like that til I learned the rules for mando were different. there is a reason for certain rules and I had to break out of a bad habbit in a hurry if I was going to be able to play well that was over 4 years ago now I play very well.The only thing I do outside the rules of fingering now is I use my pinky when playing full closed bar chords, I guess I'm supposed to be using 3rd finger,but the stretch hurts. I also use my 3rd finger for those 4 fret wide double stops like you(seems most folks do) as I can use my 2nd and 4th fingers to do stuff while fingers 1&3 are pressed down. If you play a staccato(sp?) chromatic run you'll just have to break the rules.Ron
    Shudup and play your mandolin!