Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of the best ever

Default One of the best ever

Just curious, a mandolin for sale in the classifieds is described as ' one of the best ever ' it's a Gilchist F5, if it's one of the best ever why does no one want to keep it ? it's been owned by at least 3 people including David Grisman, yet no one wants to keep it, seems strange to me.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave Hanson For This Useful Post:

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Default Re: One of the best ever

Perhaps, this is because it is 'one of the best' but not 'the best?

This at least leaves the owner with the possibility of an upgrade which would probably be costly.

The financing of which necessitates the selling of this mandolin to raise funds for buying what may be seen to be 'the next level up'.

4. The following members say thank you to M.Marmot for this post:

Well, the current seller is a dealer . . of used cars -- maybe mandolins on the side? What I mean is it might have been bought to sell the most recent time.

And maybe other past owners weren't making good use of it anymore. Might as well pass it on to someone that will.
    My Music
    My Twitter
    ––
    2015 Big Muddy M-2
    Sweet Woods mountain dulcimer

Maybe it simply means 'one of the best ever',because it was made by ''one of the best ever'' builders ?. Dave Grisman isn't widely known for the use of many mandolins other than his Loar,so maybe it didn't suit his long standing 'image'.As for the other 2 previous owners,any number of reasons might have made them decide to sell it on. I know of one Cafe member who's currently on his 3rd Gilchrist & i'm pretty sure that the first 2 weren't 'poor' instruments,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Oh, come on, now! Have you never seen or heard someone trying to sell something use hyperbole in order to impress potential buyers? Saying it's so doesn't make it so. You cannot be serious!
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

I was just reading the classifieds and thought the exact same thing journeybear. I thought "jeezz every instrument on here is the best sounding this or that" then I thought "well if I was trying to sell something I wouldn't say that the instrument was 'alright' sounding." I was reading the listing for that bozo guitar. The owner could be half deaf too...I am!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around and play mandolin.”

Hyperbole sells stuff so it seems. It mystifies me too that none of the three previous owners want to keep it. So maybe a Gilchrist does not have the mojo or staying power of a Loar. If it rested with one owner then I would say it was likely to have been 'One of the Best". Not so so it seems.
    Nic Gellie

Well, I have never played a "Loar", but I will say that Steve Gilchrist makes the best mandolins that I have ever heard or played..if only I could afford to purchase one , I would.

It's the best ever, but clearly not the bestest ever.

What do you want him to say? This is one of the worst? Or this is on of the
    mediocre ones? I think Grisman recording an album with it just 2 yrs ago is enough
    of a testimony to say its a least great. I don't think Grisman woke up
    the morning of the recording and went to go grab his Loar and said to himself...
    No Wait! I think I'm gonna use that ok Gilchrist. Come on man, that guy has like
    1,000 mandolins, clearly he thought it was the best mandolin for that recording,
    so yes... I guess that does make it one of the best for something or he wouldn't have
    recorded with it. And no I don't know the person selling this mandolin.
    It's not like he's saying its one of the best and charging anymore for it, his asking
    price that is completely normal for one of these.

I believe it's a great one but this seller was kicked off of Ebay a while back also. If I remember correctly he sold some things he didn't really have... Dawgs wife's old mandolin for sale in the classifieds, one of the best ole ovals on the market. You can get that, this and at least one of Haynies old mandolins if not five have been for sale here in the past as well. Dawg wanted one of mine I had listed, it was one of the best for me...
    Last edited by OldGus; Sep-09-2015 at 7:07am.

Kicked off ebay? Ok well yeh that's a bit sketchy... Too bad

Heh oh dear... and he was one of the best ever Ebay sellers...

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fscotte For This Useful Post:

The owner in question had multiple ebay accounts is memory serves me correctly. Sold many top tier instruments. There are a few threads on him if you look for them.
    Bill Snyder

"mitch simpson" "complaints" "instrument" google it.

"Why didn`t at least one of the owners keep it"...How many Loars have been passed around and around in the past 15 years, quite a few and in most people`s eyes they are the best ever..., so there seems to be quite a few reasons why someone would sell "the best ever" mandolin, probably made a huge profit when it was/is sold...

A used car dealer? Maybe he took it in on a trade.....

Willie

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

Every "Holy Grail" instrument was sold by someone-the vast majority were sold multiple times. The argument that if it was so great it wouldn't have been sold makes no sense to me in this day and age when everyone trades and moves these things all the time. How many of us has have sold something we wish we didn't? Come on...

22. The following members say thank you to Atlanta Mando Mike for this post:

f5joe 

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

This is just stirring up controversy in my opinion. The owner can have a thousand reasons for selling it as can the previous owners. Financial need, interest in making money, too many instruments to play this one regularly, desire to see it played by someone else, sheer whim.
    If you really have concerns about the quality of this instrument, go play it. It's the buyer's responsibility to determine the quality of what he or she is buying. The seller just sells using the best methods he or she can. Raising non-issues about the precise language the seller used in his ad on the internet really doesn't further the matter one bit.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billhay4 For This Useful Post:

I have a Dearstone A-5 that is the best ever. It will be sold by my wife or children at some future date.

Blog Entries

I already offered my opinion, some time ago. But I guess I wasn't emphatic enough. There is no reason for this thread. No point to it whatsoever. Nothing to be gained from it, no lesson to be learned nor useful information gleaned from it. Well, other than that the seller may be a bit sketchy. But that could easily have been inferred from the ad's wording, without necessitating discussion. Posting this to begin with was pretty close to trolling, though it might have helped if there had been some humorous observation added. Sad to say, there was none.

I hope that's clear, now.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Steve Gilchist as a builder seems to merit that title..
    as witnessed by his mandolins appreciating in cost with every resale.

I expect David Grisman does not sell anything below cost.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Posting this to begin with was pretty close to trolling
    I took it as an honest question with some easy answers. I could see how it might be trolling. A lot of people say "I don't understand this" to express superiority, but I'd rather give the posters the benefit of the doubt in case they really want to understand something.
    My Music
    My Twitter
    ––
    2015 Big Muddy M-2
    Sweet Woods mountain dulcimer

This is one of the best ever threads I've had the joy to moderate. Just sayin'. Carry on.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

31. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Blog Entries

And I don't sense any sarcasm! Not a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by objectsession View Post
    ... I'd rather give the posters the benefit of the doubt ...
    Same here, and I did, at first. But it seemed painfully obvious to me after a few posts that the OP missed an obvious and rather tired use of language, as did the first few responders. And even after I pointed this out, the thread wound on for a while, so I got a bit more blunt. I don't mean to give anyone a hard time around here, or most anywhere, but it just seemed there wasn't anything there worth discussing. I would have understood if the OP had used this as a setting off point for some humor, but that didn't seem to be the case. Hope I didn't put anyone's noses out of joint.

As you were ...
    Last edited by journeybear; Sep-09-2015 at 6:11pm. Reason: by way of explanation

33. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    This is one of the best ever threads I've had the joy to moderate. Just sayin'. Carry on.
    how can you justify that statement when so many people have posted on it already and it's not even dead yet.
    i mean if it was one of the best ever so many people wouldnt have passed up posting on here....
    wait did i contradict myself?

also how has nobody pointed out that his location is supposed to be 'cleveland GA' ? sounds shady, everyone cleveland is in ohio....duh.
    "we should restore the practice of dueling. It might improve manners around here." -Edward Abbey

35. The following members say thank you to allowishish for this post: