Thread: Narrowing down mandolin choices - curious about Esteve mandolins

Default Narrowing down mandolin choices - curious about Esteve mandolins

I've been playing guitar for about 9 months now and I am looking to branch out into playing mandolin. I just had a moment listening to someone playing mandolin as part of a theatre production and I was really struck at how good it sounded. However, I'm mindful of the fact that playing mandolin is a whole different beast to playing guitar.

My situation is probably not helped by the fact that I live in a fairly isolated state in Australia, and therefore the stock that stores can actually order in is somewhat limited. However, I have managed to narrow my options:

• Second hand Eastman, $695AU with case
    • Esteve mandolin (ORDER IN), $895 without case
    • Moon standard (ORDER IN), $AU??? without case
    • Seagull S8 mandolin (ORDER IN) between $695 to $995 without a case
    • Seagull Merlin (ORDER IN) at $235

The last one was something that I was thinking of to try playing a folk instrument without spending an enormous amount of money. I'm not sure what I should go for though. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Default Re: Narrowing down mandolin choices - curious about Esteve mandol

Well, you have some pretty good mandolin luthiers down there but those, even used, may a bit beyond your budget. Still, couldn't hurt to call and at least chat with some of them. You should be able to procure Kentucky brand there someplace and can recommend the KM-150, or if you can afford it, the KM-200, 500, or 900 series. (Maybe you'll luck out and find a used Gilchrist in a barbershop for $150!)

Happy Hunting!

Never heard of Esteve. I wonder if he's a friend of Ebob, Ebilly or Ejoe.

If Moon means Jimmy Moon, those are some nice mandolins from the UK.

The Eastman is probably the way to go. I don't know which model you saw, but just about any Eastman would be a perfectly adequate beginner mandolin.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

The Seagull Merlin is going to play and sound drastically different than a mandolin. Not saying it's bad, but there's a good chance you'll still want a mandolin when you have one. (Incidentally, I did play a few similar instruments when I was thinking about getting a mountain dulcimer. Some sounded pretty good, but it doesn't play like a typical mountain dulcimer either. It's its own thing, IMO.)
    My Music
    My Twitter
    ––
    2015 Big Muddy M-2
    Sweet Woods mountain dulcimer

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Never heard of Esteve. I wonder if he's a friend of Ebob, Ebilly or Ejoe.

If Moon means Jimmy Moon, those are some nice mandolins from the UK.

The Eastman is probably the way to go. I don't know which model you saw, but just about any Eastman would be a perfectly adequate beginner mandolin.
    More known for their classical guitars Esteve are produced in Valencia,Spain. http://http://guitarrasesteve.es/en/portfolio/016/
    I guess the first thing you need to decide Krabo is if you would be more drawn to a mandolin with f holes or a sound hole.
    Try a search on here for threads discussing the pros and cons of each.
    Last edited by Kieran; Sep-02-2015 at 6:45pm.
    Kieran Moloney
    Musical Instruments
    http://moloneymusic.com

F holes are sound holes.
    Bill Snyder

7. The following members say thank you to Bill Snyder for this post:

Yes, I should have said f holes or a round / oval hole? What's the most correct terminology for that?
    Kieran Moloney
    Musical Instruments
    http://moloneymusic.com

You got it on your second try.
    Bill Snyder

Esteve are makers of traditional (Spanish foot design) classical and flamenco guitars - especially popular with students, as they are consistently good quality guitars. I have one of their flamencos, and had a classical way back when.. If their mandolins are on-par with the guitars - far and away above Eastman - albeit, totally different instruments (arch-top "bluegrass" vs flat top).

Quote Originally Posted by Krabo View Post

The last one was something that I was thinking of to try playing a folk instrument without spending an enormous amount of money. I'm not sure what I should go for though. Any suggestions? Thank you.
    My choice would be Esteve or Moon. But for your needs, you might go for the lower-cost options - off the shelf, as it were. I've had several Seagull guitars over the years - all consistently good quality woods (if you like lots of cherry) and construction - might expect the mandolins to be as well - like a mid mo/big muddy - nothing fancy, not a particularly refined sound - good for beginners perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by objectsession View Post
    The Seagull Merlin is going to play and sound drastically different than a mandolin. Not saying it's bad, but there's a good chance you'll still want a mandolin when you have one. (Incidentally, I did play a few similar instruments when I was thinking about getting a mountain dulcimer. Some sounded pretty good, but it doesn't play like a typical mountain dulcimer either. It's its own thing, IMO.)
    Yes, I don't know what their "S8" is, but Seagull/Godin has not been in the trad mandolin game, AFAIK
    Last edited by catmandu2; Sep-03-2015 at 11:33am.

Hi Krabo,
    Check Daniel Brauchli's website. www.danielbrauchli.com. He's based in Tasmania.

Blog Entries

Esteve makes guitars and traditional plectrum instruments used by tunas (laudes, bandurrias & mandolinas) ... their design is spanish traditional with solid woods, short scale, no a slim neck, and have different tops.... according to what I remember they may have spruce o cedar tops: I do own a similar spanish Miguel Angel mandolin that is only different with the guitar style tuners.... Esteve are set on a more traditional solid block.... here a photo on some of my spanish plectrum instruments... including a Miguel Angel mandolin and a Esteve laωd.... no question about the quality of these instruments..... http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/al...chmentid=87942

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/al...chmentid=87941

the mandolins on the left ar the spanish style axes similar to Esteve http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/al...chmentid=90399