Thread: Dave Peters' Recordings

Exclamation Dave Peters' Recordings

Dave Peters Birthday is today, August 28, (1957). He's not exactly "here" anymore...unless you are listening to or playing live acoustic music, I feel that he lives on in that way. It's true that he was the first 3-time Mandolin Champion in Winfield history. I knew him because when I married my now ex-husband, Paul Kiteck​, he was living in Paul's house. It's not often that you get a champion mandolin player as a wedding bonus. Happy to talk about those adventures anytime but...today is for something different...

I've spoken with Scott Tichenor​ of Mandolin Cafe, and in October we will begin the process to start to bring all of Dave's recordings available to share with the public hopefully as downloads. I am sorry that it took so long. I was trying to do this via CD and the process was just too costly and too much red tape. We will begin with the ART in AMERICA CD and will hope to have that ready by sometime in December 2015.

We will then put forth only the recordings that Dave had SELF produced including the Japan (Ranger tapes) tapes, Ovations, etc... We hope to include liner notes etc... so that you can have access to the whole product.

Mandolin Cafe has always been very supportive of everything I've tried to do regarding Dave Peters legacy. I know his fans are here in numbers and those that don't know him will be able to do so through this site. If you prefer notifications through facebook, I will also post the progress there.

You may send a friend request to sunnie Valentine.

Calling on all of you who read this to play a tune today in honor of his birthday and then let's get the word out.
    ox,
    miss sunnie
    miss sunnie

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to miss sunnie For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Dave Peters' Recordings

This is great news!

4. The following members say thank you to Eric F. for this post:

Awesome news, Miss Sunnie! Dave has been one of the biggest inspirations in my picking. Tone, taste, technique- the man had it all. Whenever I think I am hot stuff, I put on the Live at Ovations CD and get humbled. Hearing Kelly Lancaster (RIP) shout "Yeah, Dave!" as he brings each solo to an even more insane climax reminds me why I play music. Thank you for keeping his legacy alive!
    Best,
    Max
    I laid the tracks, never rode the train.

6. The following members say thank you to Mandomax for this post:

I couldn't agree more. I'm listening to Live At Ovations right now (for the 3rd time this afternoon). I don't think I'm overdoing it, but I really believe it's one of the most important mandolin recordings ever done. Just mind boggling. It makes me glad to be alive and have ears.

8. The following members say thank you to Dale Ludewig for this post:

I have a copy of Art in America. Its simply brilliant. Dave Peters was a master mandolin player and musician, and Art in America represents his masterpiece.

If you are reading this and do not have any recordings from David Peters, get Art in America when it becomes available. Thank me later.

10. The following members say thank you to guitarpath for this post:

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Miss Sunnie,
    I was just wondering about this very subject last week as I was listening to 'Ovations' once again.
    It's wonderful that you have put out the energy to make this happen. I agree that these recordings are some of the most important mandolin recordings ever made. I'm so happy that more people will be able to hear them!
    I'm sad that I was never to meet Dave in person.
    Thanks for all you do and thanks to Scott for his part.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

12. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

Hi Sunnie,
    I always appreciate your efforts to keep Dave's legacy alive. He was always a big influence on my playing when I lived in Houston and I still continue to listen to his music today, including his work on Randy Powell's CD. He got me using flatwound strings and I have used them ever since. Looking forward to this project coming out.

14. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

Sunnie:

I'm a big fan of Dave's music and look forward to these releases.

Thanks for continuing with this project.

16. The following members say thank you to John Soper for this post:

Miss Sunnie: I never knew Dave but Kelly was a good friend of mine. I look forward to hearing the recordings you're going to make available. I'll send you a fb friend request.

18. The following members say thank you to Jon Hall for this post: