Thread: Heavier gauge strings.

Default Heavier gauge strings.

Howdy, I recently completed a an octave mandolin. After I got it all strung up and played it for a little bit I noticed that the action was significantly high, so of course I lowered the action a lot. While lowering did make it much easier to play, I did notice that the instrument seem to have lost a lot of its volume and total character. I am assuming that it is because I now have less pressure pushing on the bridge. If I were to put slightly heavier gauge strings on it do you think that that would potentially help the volume and bring back a little bit of the fullness of tone that I experienced with the higher action? I guess my second part of the question is this: I am only able to find one set of octave mandolin strings, mediums. Has anyone seen any heavy gauge strings sets out there? I am currently using the set from d'adario. I could always buy individual strings from the local store however there are some times more costly find them individually, and I don't know how much thicker gauge each string should be compared to the d'addario octave mandolin set. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Heavier gauge strings.

Lowering the action will reduce the volume of an instrument.A 'too low' action is something that crops up many times on here. Folk buy a good mandolin,decide that they want a low action,& end up finding that it's so low,that (usually) the A & E strings don't ring out as they should. Very often,just a tiny height adjustment to raise the action does the trick. It's a case of too high & the action is a bit hard on the fingers,but too low & the tone/volume of the instrument suffers. I adjusted the action on my 3 mandolins so that it was obviously too low,then raised the bridge height until i got the tone/volume i wanted & left it at that. My action is a tad higher than maybe most mandolins,but i have no problems.
    To address your point regarding 'heavier' strings. My Lebeda mandolin,is slightly larger all round that what we might call a 'standard' mandolin. It weighs 3/4 Lb more than either my Weber or Ellis. When i began using DR brand strings,i put their MD11 set on my Weber & Lebeda (forget the Ellis - it wasn't around back then !). The Weber sounded fine,but the Lebeda was still a bit under-powered,so,i put a set of the heavier MD12's on it. It seemed to do the trick - more volume. However,i did notice that i had to pick the heavier strings harder to get 'em on the move - sounds ok so far ?. Then i had a thought (a dangerous thing at my age) - if i had to pick harder on the heavier strings,why not just pick as hard on the lighter strings ?. I put MD11 mediums on the Lebeda,picked just as hard as i had to on the MD12's & got more volume. Picking harder,i was moving the lighter strings more than i'd done before & the volume went up considerably = common sense. I should have realised anyway,that a larger,heavier mandolin would require more 'picking power' to get it moving. So that's the way i do it. I must also add,that after i began to use the Dunlop 'Primetone' picks instead of the Wegen Bluegrass picks i'd been using,that they contributed hugely to the apparent volume of my mandolins ( the Ellis is now in the picture as well).
    The bottom line for me,is that going to a heavier string worked - to an extent,but going back to a lighter gauge string & simply picking a bit harder,worked far better. Also the use of a much 'better' pick, added considerably to the volume of my instruments,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

My mandolin has extremely low action and doesn't seem to suffer from being too quiet. If you lower the bridge and string height you also need to re-intonate. Properly intonated it will sound louder and ring. I am guessing when you raise the strings till it rings again you are simply getting back to proper intonation.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

What is the string break angle over the bridge? And what is the scale length?