Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A waste of hard earned money

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A waste of hard earned money

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    ... I don't know a single musician that doesn't wish he or she started earlier and practiced more.
    Well, you know me. Of course I wish I'd started earlier - 15 was so late - but I hardly ever wish I practiced more. Practice is a bit of a chore, and I've pretty much got the basics down. Sure, sometimes in the middle of playing I'll wish I'd taken a bit more time learning the piece or my part, usually just after I've flubbed something, but time spent at home playing is more often for fun than practice, unless I'm trying to learn something. But we're talking about practice, right? Practice! Practice?!?
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Someone once asked Earnest Stoneman, who had a house full of kids that all played, how he got them all interested. He said he had the instruments, he tuned them all up, laid them on the bed and dared the kids to touch them.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

Notice the wear in the fingerboard; regardless of the "waste of money comment", one or probably several owners spent a lot of time playing this mandolin!
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

The wear probably came after the comment was written.

I have a friend that always leaves whatever case candy is in a case when he passes that instrument along. It's nice that the documentation remained with this one.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

There was a "family rule" that all the kids had to do two years of some kind of music. None of my siblings kept up any of it, my oldest sister was relieved of this through her choice of violin(no one could endure her screeching) I started playing the guitar at about twelve dropped it after two lessons, crappy guitar and not a very interesting teacher. Then I found the mandolin.......
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Johnson View Post
    I started my 11 yr old granddaughter in a rock and roll based music franchise that includes one hour of private instruction and three hours of band practice a week.
    When I was a kid (50+ years ago) we called it music lessons and jamming with friends......

I got a chuckle, Charles with the use of "franchise" -- reminds me of the current use of the word "brand" as it applies to the Kardashian brand, Trump's brand, etc., I guess I've seen "franchise" used with movie sequels, such as the Mission Impossible franchise, etc......hard to stay "current" these days.........

Isn't "franchise" used in the regular sense (like Subway or McDonalds)? Or am I just missing the joke?

Quote Originally Posted by objectsession View Post
    Isn't "franchise" used in the regular sense (like Subway or McDonalds)? Or am I just missing the joke?
    The joke is probably on me, actually. The term sounded too "grown up" for an 11 yr old, to me. Or maybe, just too formal. Rather than, "she takes lessons at Bob's Music Store" it struck me like saying, "after attending the franchise, she also interns at Merrill Lynch three days a week."

10. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Oh, like, using the word "franchise" in place of "band"? Heh. That is funny . . in a dark comedy sort of way.

Although, I'm sure Apple is planning something along those lines for Apple Music version 5 or so.
    My Music
    My Twitter
    ––
    2015 Big Muddy M-2
    Sweet Woods mountain dulcimer

Yes, that's it. I think it depends on your age demographic, somewhat. As a kid in the 60's, the last thing in the world a band would want to be associated with was something corporate--a band represented freedom, rebellion, purity, protest, at least in my eyes. Most musicians back then looked at their music as art and would never consider licensing a song to sell beer, cars, or whatever.....now, of course, most musicians probably think differently. So, to use a term like franchise to describe a band today is probably not such a stretch.