Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lyon & Healy A style "Professional" No. 754

Default Re: Lyon & Healy A style "Professional" No. 754

On a side note, are the tailpiece covers interchangeable for the A, B and C models?

Al

They all had the same tailpiece for most of the production run. However, the 1923 catalog shows the Style C with a Waverly cloud tailpiece.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

What do you guys think would be a fair price to sell the Lyon & Healy for?

Can't say anything about a fair price but, my birthday is Wednesday!
    I try to be optimistic.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

5. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Blog Entries

It depends a lot on the condition obviously, and any now irrelevant repairs. I have never seen one lower than $4K, and that was not perfect condition, and I have seen them for much more.

I saved for one for a whole bunch of years and when it became available on the classifieds I jumped on it. Turns out I was the very first caller - the fellow had just finished posting the ad. I really cherish the mandolin, and just love seeing my own hands holding it - goofy as that sounds. I have it strung with Thomastics and the sound is wonderful. Much more to the bowlback sound than anything else.

Great lovely pictures BTW.

Here is mine.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

I've always wondered if the response or sustain are noticeably different between A and B models. The A models massive decorative headstock must have at least twice the mass of the B models headstock. Anyone own both that can comment about dynamic differences from the design change?
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

Edited by Moderator: Please review the posting guidelines. We don't use the forums to promote sales.
    Last edited by JEStanek; Aug-25-2015 at 1:31pm. Reason: commerce

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I have it strung with Thomastics and the sound is wonderful. Much more to the bowlback sound than anything else.
    Hence why I like those models - it's a shame they aren't mass-produced like Gibson knock-offs are.

Hey intensesinger, if you're ready to sell, pop it in the Classifieds here.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post

keef, do you have a handle on what distinguishes the "Professional" line from the ordinary Style A's?
    No Martin. I never could figure that out. I think I read somewhere that the 'Professionals' indicated 27-fret Style A's, but the ones I have seen all have 24 frets and do not seem to differ in any way (on small, bad pictures of yore) from the standard Style A's.

(By the way - I don't think I have a picture of a 27-fret Style A. They all seem to have 26 frets - one of the last frets are either missing on these as you can see a gap between frets, or was this actually intended?)

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Hence why I like those models - it's a shame they aren't mass-produced like Gibson knock-offs are.
    While not 'mass production' there is one builder who frequents here who rather modestly suggests that his version of the L+H A design is an improvement on the original.

I've only played one of his instruments so I am in no position to judge. In that instance, the sound quality was not up to the level of the very impressive woodworking.

It's a treasure and a pity that these instruments arrived when they did--while the initial mandolin craze was beginning its eclipse as was L+H commitment to instrument making. As appreciation for their style and sound continues to grow once more (as it clearly has over the last 10 years here) I think we'll see more and more examples being made.

Who knows there may be a "The L+H A" line in the works in some Chinese factory.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

14. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

Oh Mick, you positive thinking fellow!
    I have a friend who has a couple of L+H mandolins and they are soooo cool, simply put, so NON Gibson. I love to have one. He has some pretty cool old Martin mandolins too, long time collector with the knowledge to pick wisely, or choose wisely depending on how one looks at it.
    I think the Pac rim reproductions are so far down the road, I will probably be dead before they are released. But, the threads they will generate will be long and varied!
    Timothy F. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    This is post-1921 and, contrary to OldGus' assertion, it is a "classical" or "short-scale" instrument; the scale length is 13 inches rather than the earlier scale length of 13 7/8. It's probably from 1922, as are most of the ones with pull-out rests. Also, the pickguard is vulcanized fiber (made from the same stuff as kraft paper, believe it or not, and also used for bowling balls in that era), not rubber.
    I am late to the game on this thread. Thanks, Martin, for catching those typical anomalies, esp the one about "vulcanized rubber". Even Stan Jay had that wrong a few years ago in his listings, until I corrected him.

I have one each of L&H As -- one long scale and one short (later). I had the long scale playable for some time and it was a wonderful instrument. I never stung it with Thomastiks tho usually used J-74s and it prob sounded more like a Gibson. Unfortunately my long-scale one is no longer playable so a comparison is not happening.

I always disliked Thomastiks on most mandolins but finally relented and strung the short-scale Washburn I have (no extender) with them and that is the right string. I don't know if I would call it bowlback tone tho. I think the L&H is more mellow than the bowlbacks I play; perhaps more like a hybrid sound of Gibson and bowlback, somewhere in between.

As far as modern copies, there was an Asian-made Washburn in the 1980s and an Eastman copy of the mandola IIRC. There are some modern copies but those are copies for the loom rather than the sound, as far as I can tell. I believe tho that Peter Coombe has built a few copies that try to reproduce the tone of these as well.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Still a few of the Eastman mandolas floating around, I imagine. Pete Langdell has made a few copies, and I think Doug Unger did as well. John Sullivan made at least one. Lawrence Nyberg and Graham McDonald both make 2-points along the lines of the Style A. There's at least one other luthier whose name I can't bring to mind who has also made copies.

No. 754 now on eBay: item #221863617536 starting bid $2000. Looks like a small crack on neck. Sorry I am on iPhone and can't figure out how to link from the eBay app.

Here's the link (now on my laptop) : Lyon & Healy No. 754
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Aug-28-2015 at 1:32pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Kevin Mathers is the other fellow I was thinking of:
    http://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/5134433570.html

Auction here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-LYON...item33a81a2400

I see a lot of neck wear but am not sure I see a crack.

Nice to see enough DECENT photos on an eBay item! But, wasn't this supposed to be my birthday present?!
    Oh well, too late now.
    Timothy F. Lewis

Who knows but the last photo is the smoking gun.
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

Mandolin & Mandola maker

They are not mass produced because they are difficult and very time consuming to make. I know because I have made 2 replicas, not exact replicas, but they do have the same clarity, sweetness and overall balance of sound of the originals. Mine are louder and more responsive and have a slightly finer quality of sound to the originals. I have 2 originals and definitely do prefer the sound of mine. They have been my all time favourite oval hole mandolins. The differences from the original style A are only to save on costs. Exact replicas are so time consuming to make that the cost would be so high that hardly any one would be able to afford to buy them. It is not a big market for these mandolins. The scroll headstock requires custom made tuners, and the tailpiece is another thing that needs to be custom made so costs escalate. Each time I have finished one of my replicas my feeling has been - my goodness that has been SO much work I am exhausted, but wow the final result has been worth it. The Gibsons were designed to be mass produced in a factory so are a lot easier to make.

Here is one I finished recently -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Side.JPG 
Views:	244 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	137787
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

24. The following members say thank you to peter.coombe for this post:

Wonderful mandolins, providing the fine treble tones of a good bowlback with a stronger bass response. They sit between the Gibsons and the Italian bowls, and can't possible be praised enough. I'm always surprised that they aren't more appreciated, but maybe it's just as well, as it makes them affordable to those in the know.

I have an A in the shorter scale, and had a B in the longer scale, gone now. My A is strung with Dogal Calace strings; it took a few months to wear them past the point of "toothiness", the nature of the windings tended to grab and inhibit any sort of slide. Now, however, they're just right, and the damn things last so long I've not been able to try any other style of string. Still, the Calaces work very well with my example, so I'm not inclined to chafe much at the inablilty to experiment.

It's been a long time since the style B left; all I can recall is that it didn't seem to be so different from the A that it warranted hanging onto it.

For those with an interest in the more squalid questions, it ran about 3200 from Fred Oster a dozen years ago. The case was little more than junk, as I recall. I also recall being so stunned at the sonic qualities that I forgot to bargain. Probably just as well, as Fred seemed surprised at the sounds emanating from it, as well. I don't know whether he was overwhelmed at my playing, or trying to decide whether the cause of good music would be better served by refusing to sell it to me.

26. The following members say thank you to Bob A for this post:

hank 

These are superb Mandolins for classical music as well as very beautiful. The little metal foot to keep the mandolin from slipping on your thigh has a little sort of snap when it's out all the way like the snap when you plug in an electric mandolin cable all the way. If the Bakelite or whatever it is button is lost, it is very hard to get it out from the outside. You can see it sticking out inside the instrument if you use a flashlight and perhaps a little mirror. What I did to get mine out was (strings off at the time, but you could just loosen them) was to stick a piece of wood inside very carefully (it may have been curved. I don't recall) and carefully push it out. The first 1/4" is the hardest because of the threads, but it does take a bit of pressure. An exact replacement end button would be hard to come by. The easiest temporary repair would be take the mandolin to a hardware store and buy a nylon nut that fits the threads on the rod. If you are good with tools or have a bit of extra money to share with a luthier, you could make an end button out of ebony that has threads cut into it that would work like a nut.

Quote Originally Posted by peter.coombe View Post
    They are not mass produced because they are difficult and very time consuming to make. I know because I have made 2 replicas, not exact replicas, but they do have the same clarity, sweetness and overall balance of sound of the originals. ...... The Gibsons were designed to be mass produced in a factory so are a lot easier to make.
    Thanks for posting, and that's lovely looking instrument. I appreciate the part about "Gibsons were designed to be mass produced in a factory"; I assumed that you could make the L and H with about the same effort, but I appear to be quite wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by hank View Post
    Who knows but the last photo is the smoking gun.
    Would you care to elaborate? I was interested in the mandolin but lack the experience to judge it's condition.

Thanks
    Al

It reveals a small crack or two under the head stock in the back of the neck running underneath the vulcanized fibre. I am also wondering about that elliptical mark under the bridge to the left side, is it a repair or some kind of oddball wear?