Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Shuffle of the Pick - 12 Old-Time Fiddle Tunes

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default The Shuffle of the Pick - 12 Old-Time Fiddle Tunes

The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    The Shuffle of the Pick - 12 Old-Time Fiddle Tunes

Adam Tanner has announced the self-publication of a new collection on Apple Books entitled The Shuffle of the Pick, 12 fiddle tunes arranged for intermediate and advanced mandolin players.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Shuffle of the Pick - 12 Old-Time Fiddle Tunes

I see a lot of publications come across the Cafe's desk. I'm really, really impressed with this one. The PDF download is full of the rich kind of written and visual content you really dig as a mandolin player. Very, very nicely done.

I took Adam's old time mandolin class at Swannanoa a couple of weeks ago and it was superb. We learned a new tune every day, all of them from this book. He has a keen understanding of this music and is a great teacher as well. He showed us things we could use on tunes we already knew to make them sound full and rich when playing unaccompanied or as a duo. Very cool stuff!

hillbilly lion tamer Wilbur James's Avatar

I have had the priveledge of listening to Adam play, and learning some old time repertoire under his guidance, I have learned a lot and am looking forward to this book, if you like Appalacian and old time fiddle tunes and want to learn them, this is a great path to follow. Adam keeps the music real and won't allow it to fade away.
    Dignity, Respect and Love, for who they are, not what they are.

Mando-Thrasher

Thumbs up Re: The Shuffle of the Pick - 12 Old-Time Fiddle Tunes

This is a fantastic release! Not only is the multimedia integration of the ebook format great, but the arrangements sound excellent! I wish I could stay home from work for the rest of the week/month/summer to work on the tunes! (But then, how would I afford another Mandolin?)
    <- Steve ->

Loar 220 A Model
    Eastman MD515 F Model
    Collings MT Wide Nut A Model

I wouldn't hesitate a second to buy this collection in printed + CD form or as a PDF/MP3 download, but I don't own a Mac or IPhone/Ipad, so I have no access to this collection. There a many open and standardized formats that are accessible for pretty much anyone out there, so why limit your audience to apple users only, especially in a niche like old-time mandolin? Of course, Adam Tanner is free to choose whichever format he pleases, but if I would publish a book and/or music I would like it to be accessible to as many people as possible (and, of course, sell it to as many people as possible). Or did I miss something and Apple is the de facto standard in the Old-Time community?

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by DroneAlone View Post
    I wouldn't hesitate a second to buy this collection in printed + CD form or as a PDF/MP3 download, but I don't own a Mac or IPhone/Ipad, so I have no access to this collection. There a many open and standardized formats that are accessible for pretty much anyone out there, so why limit your audience to apple users only, especially in a niche like old-time mandolin? Of course, Adam Tanner is free to choose whichever format he pleases, but if I would publish a book and/or music I would like it to be accessible to as many people as possible (and, of course, sell it to as many people as possible). Or did I miss something and Apple is the de facto standard in the Old-Time community?

Peter
    Ich stimme ihm zu...I agree with him. If a PC friendly version were available I'd go for it.
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

Does anybody know whether the text and audio can be exported/extracted from Apple's iBook format to other formats? So I could use someone else's Mac and get the contents in a non-Mac specific form.

Thanks.

Peter

from Adam Tanner's Facebook page:

"Second;those non Apple users interested in purchasing the book may convert it from its native EPub to just about any format using a free software program called http://calibre-ebook.com
    Here is a tutorial on how it works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCLI...ature=youtu.be
    Thanks"

You will still have to purchase it somehow (mac/iTunes) and move it to your non-apple system.

Hope this helps!

Gary
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Aug-20-2015 at 9:05am. Reason: redirecting to link with better reliability
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

10. The following members say thank you to Gary Leonard for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Leonard View Post
    from Adam Tanner's Facebook page:

[...]
    Thank you!

I've been looking on his homepage but didn't find anything...

Epub... facebook... what the heck! I'm an Old-Timer ;-)

Peter
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Nov-10-2015 at 12:29pm. Reason: broken link removed

Quote Originally Posted by DroneAlone View Post
    Thank you!

I've been looking on his homepage but didn't find anything...

Epub... facebook... what the heck! I'm an Old-Timer ;-)

Peter
    No problem! I had to hunt for the information, it wasn't anything I had at hand. I mainly looked for Adam Tanner's website as an exercise in seeing if Apple was really dumb enough to pin authors to their platform by offering a closed ebook format, or a restrictive publishing agreement.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Not available in Canadian iTunes, alas. Would be interested in this book.

Quote Originally Posted by scapier View Post
    Not available in Canadian iTunes, alas. Would be interested in this book.
    Hi folks just signed on to the Cafe,I have been an avid reader for years but have not had much time for posting.
    I am very excited that a few mandolin players are interested in Shuffle of The Pick and I hope to be able to answer some questions some of you might have.
    First off I have had several folks from Canada and Australia wanting to purchase the book and finding that it is unavailable.
    In filling out the information while taking the required steps toward publishing,I selected an option giving me world wide publication for iBooks.
    I recieved several errors and reached an impasse.An Apple representative informed me that chooing "worldwide" was creating the problem and making it impossible to continue,he then reassured me that selecting another option besides "worldwide" would place the book everywhere Apple is selling ebooks....needless to say I will be on the horn to Apple ASAP and straighten it out.
    In the meantime I will be selling the book starting September 1st off of my homepage at adamtannermusic.com check there soon.
    There are several Kindle,Android,Windows users interested in purchasing the book and disappointed that it is not also available in other formats.
    Each format it different and it is actually a pretty time consuming effort to reformat the book for all options on the market...that said my designer and I are working our way through learning the version of Quark Express to make it available to more folks.
    In the meantime my research lead me to this free App for converting any ebook from one format to another http://calibre-ebook.com
    Here is a tutorial on how it works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCLI...ature=youtu.be
    Thanks for your support!
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Aug-20-2015 at 9:05am.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adam Tanner For This Useful Post:

Hello Everybody in Mandolin Cafe land!
    I wanted to give folks in Europe,Canada,Australia a heads up that Apple will have "The Shuffle of the Pick"up for sale staring tomorrow
    In 51 countries around the world!
    Still working on a Windows version,I will keep you posted!

I've always enjoyed Adam's mandolin playing and choice of material.

Seems like a great book....I have iTunes and I appreciate the fact that it is easier to go that route. However I cherish the moments when I don't have to be tethered to an electronic device.

Is it possible to self publish the book in paper format? Is that the Quark situation Adam is referring to? Then post MP3's to a website?

Hi Perry
    If I sent you a PDF of the book and the sound files via Dropbox would that be worth $14.99.to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Tanner View Post
    Hi Perry
    If I sent you a PDF of the book and the sound files via Dropbox would that be worth $14.99.to you?
    Hi Adam

Yes that would be great...Do you accept PayPal?

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    Hi Adam

Yes that would be great...Do you accept PayPal?
    Thanks Perry
    I prefer a personal check made out to Adam Tanner if that's Ok.
    350 Sheppard Branch Rd Weaverville NC 28787
    As soon as I receive it I will send you a Dropbox link to both sound files and PDF of the book.
    I hope you enjoy it!

Just downloaded yesterday. Looks great!
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

I purchased this. Very well done! Besides the excellent transcriptions there is a load of written info (including pictures) on equipment, technique and even some history behind the tunes. If you are like me much of your playing time is done by yourself without accompaniment. This book is geared towards solo playing and making the mandolin sound as a big as possible through the use of double stops, drones and right hand technique. The accompanying audio tracks of Adam playing the tunes is a high quality recording and a joy to listen to in and of itself. I made myself a CD to listen to while driving around. If you are a fan of Mike Compton's old-time solo sound you will love this material.

Great News to share with everybody in Mandolin Cafe land...
    my old time mandolin book is now available on Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BFZYM20/..._hjHUwb0R7RXDW
    It took awhile but now you do not need to be an Apple user to own it!
    all the best!

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adam Tanner For This Useful Post:

Thanks, Adam! I really appreciate the effort you've put into this...

...I've just bought it... looks like another great resource for Old Time Mandolin...

Peter

Great Peter!
    Glad you will be able to enjoy the book!
    love to know your thoughts on Amazon?��...
    All the best!

Hey Adam, I grabbed the iBook preview to check it out. It has the medley of three tunes. When I turn the page to go to the next tune, the audio stops, and when I push play, it starts on the first tune again. Doesn't seem to be a way to fast forward the audio to the tune on the second page. Anyway to slow down the audio? Thanks.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Hey Adam, I grabbed the iBook preview to check it out. It has the medley of three tunes. When I turn the page to go to the next tune, the audio stops, and when I push play, it starts on the first tune again. Doesn't seem to be a way to fast forward the audio to the tune on the second page. Anyway to slow down the audio? Thanks.
    Thanks Don
    Send me your email
    adamtannerme@icloud.com
    I will send a link to Dropbox with Mp3's of all the tunes.
    You can drop them into your favorite transcription App.
    The medley's are played continuously but once you have it in audacity or whatever you should be able to dissect the details.