Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Electronic Tuners and Accuracy

Default Re: Electronic Tuners and Accuracy

I've been using cheap Meisner/Intelli-style tuners for years and managed to make them work for me, but the clips are weak and they seem to go through batteries fast, and the dial can be hard to read in the bright sun or if the stage lighting isn't just so.

I've been looking for another tuner and didn't much care for the Snarks, Korg, or Peterson models I've tried.

Took my chances and picked up a TC Electronics Polytune on Friday and used it a two gigs over the weekend. Big step up, in my estimation. Very responsive and easy to read in all lighting situations. I'd prefer it in black so it disappears more on stage, but the function is great. The tradeoff of the sturdier clip design is that it only rotates on one axis so there is basically just one sweet spot to put it on the peghead for easy reading. That minor quibble aside, I really like this tuner.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Kotapish For This Useful Post:

I haven't had any issues with my Snark--it sounds good--and a lot more accurate than some tuners that cost more.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

I have been rather so-so on the Snark tuners. Accuracy on unison pairs is marginal (of course this can be remedied by finishing the tuning by ear). The biggest annoyance is the failure rate. Much higher than any other tuner I have owned. Saw an ad for the the Korg Sledgehammer Pro and thought I would give it a go. So far I have been very happy with it. Much more accurate than the Snark and very easy to read. Really like the strobe tuning function which is easier to read than the clip on Petersen. Anyone else used one of these?

http://www.korg.com/us/products/tune...dgehammer_pro/
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    I've been trying one of those TC Polytune tuners for the last couple of weeks…..

….Anyway, I share that concern about the metal edges of the clip as a potential hazard. It's a bit fussy to clip on, compared to my StroboClip, because it has that flat rubber pad with a "stop" at the edge, and it has to be placed a little more carefully....
    Hi foldedpath,
    I solved that issue (had the same concerns) with a good double layer of heat-shrink tube over the movable leg plus a little rubber stop over the spring. No sharp metal edges anymore, that should be safe now.

6. The following members say thank you to pit lenz for this post:

I have been using Intellitouch tuners for about 12 years now. I find that they work very well, though on mandolin I always just tune one string and then do the other on that course by ear.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vcnonpaixahjt0b0tfwt.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	140485

At a recent guitar show Reverb.com had a booth and was giving away free tuners. I got one and it works pretty well. Looks a lot like the Snark tuners and is probably made by the same group.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bodqtlosyw5nvkodjz9v.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	140484

8. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

I just bought the new version snark. it is black called super tight. the bars are more perpendicular. so far so good.
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Quote Originally Posted by rob_pt View Post
    (of course this can be remedied by finishing the tuning by ear)
    No matter what tuner you use I would recommend doing that.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

I like the term "Close enough for Folk music" for these situations..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Wanted to thank everyone for this thread, lots of good info.

I finally bought a Polytune, after reading stuff here and a bunch of reviews elsewhere. I received the new tuner in the mail today, and wow so far I am very pleased with it - it makes tuning up so much easier. I'm using it in single-string mode, not the multi-string mode, I just like its accuracy.

The Polytune seems to zero right in on the string's pitch, I put it right next to my old Korg AW-2 tuner and the Korg wavers around for a while (it's always done that) and acts indecisive before it (sometimes) settles down to where you can read it, whereas the Polytune almost instantly locks onto the string's pitch so you can tune up faster and more accurately.

I don't feel as much need to continually fuss with the tuning, the Polytune seems to get it right the first time. Or at least a lot closer than the other tuners I've tried.

The Polytune is kinda spendy ($50), but I think it's worth it because it makes tuning a much smoother experience, and my instruments seem to sound "more in tune" after using the Polytune. And it's so easy to use.

Note: I haven't got around to trying the "strobe" mode on the Polytune, at this point I think I'll just keep using its default "needle" mode which seems pretty darn accurate.

We'll see about longevity, battery life, etc. If the manufacturer's estimated battery life holds true, it'll be fine.

I like the auto-shutoff after 3 minutes regardless of string vibration. One of the things that always annoyed me about my previous tuner, if it sensed vibration it would stay turned-on and use up the battery faster than I liked. Whereas this Polytune design is a lot better, you don't have to manually reach up and turn it off. If you want to check tuning again later after the 3-minute period, easy, just a quick button press and it's on again. Pretty nice design.

I continue to be pleased with my Polytune experience. I suspect that most all of the electronic tuners are accurate, but there is a big range in responsiveness and legibility in the heat of the moment. Had three gigs over the weekend and the Polytune worked perfectly throughout. Much more responsive and easier to read on stage than any of the other clip-ons I've used or tried.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

The Peterson clip on is the best in my opinion of course. The Poly coming in a close second...I have both. The Poly has a setting where you can get the display to spin like a Peterson and thus increase the accuracy.

Peterson website:

Accuracy: 0.1 Cents

TC website:

New strobe tuner with +/- 0.02 cent accuracy

The Peterson likes to eat batteries...haven't had the Poly long enough to tell.

Grier likes the Peterson's too..check out 29:42 for his usual dry wit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTVjKoTWfRI

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    The Peterson clip on is the best in my opinion of course. The Poly coming in a close second...I have both. The Poly has a setting where you can get the display to spin like a Peterson and thus increase the accuracy.
    Same here, I have both the Peterson (used it for a long time) and the TC Polytune (for a few months).

I can dial in the Peterson faster, but it may be just familiarity with the display. I have other Peterson tuners like a floor pedal and flip tabletop model, so I'm just used to it. I can't get along at all with the "strobe" mode of the Polytune. It seems to jitter and take much longer to settle down than the Peterson, but maybe that's just familiarity again. So I use the TC Polyune in standard "needle" mode.

The main benefit of the TC Polytune for me, is that it's a better stealth tuner if I leave it on all the time during a practice session or jam, because it folds back behind the headstock (I wouldn't do that on a paid gig, just personal preference). It would have been better with a black case, but like the Peterson that's a marketing thing for being recognizable on YouTube.

I don't like the way you can't angle the display on the TC Polytune. That's a problem when I'm using it on other instruments like nylon string guitar, where finding an angle on the rear of the headstock, means ducking my head back and forth to see the display between the tuner buttons. The Peterson StroboClip is ugly when clipped on, but at least I can see the display on all the instruments I use it on.