Thread: Best way to learn? I need some advice!

Default Best way to learn? I need some advice!

I'm a long time guitar player and I picked up the mando about 18 months ago, I'm noodling around and I'm learning songs but I'm not a real mando player and my theory is garbage. I don't have time to go to a lesson so I thought I'd ask here for some friendly advice, is there a really good book? a DVD? Software?

I'm just wondering if there is some resource out there that everyone here knows about except me where I can develop my skills...?

Thanks in advance.
    Weber Black Ice F
    Gretsch Vintage F Oval hole
    Washburn A, Oval hole Mandola
    Weber Black Ice F Octave Mandolin

Default Re: Best way to learn? I need some advice!

I'm in same boat can't help out with any tools for your use, but I took a few lessons I figured if I have time to play I have time for lesson. Now I'm taking time off from lesson and paracting what I learned. Probably take another lesson or 2 in a few months.
    Good luck

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jackgaryk For This Useful Post:

Find a teacher and take a lesson from a mandolinist (not a guitar player who can teach mandolin) as your schedule allows, you've already spent 18 months trying it your way now make time for a lesson and you'll see progress. I too switched about 18 months ago, take regular lessons and have seen alot of progress and learned a great deal.

Good luck and have fun.

6. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

Don Julin's book, Mandolin For Dummies, is excellent.
    Eastman 504, Eastman 305, Grafton P-200 open back mandolin banjo

8. The following members say thank you to Tezzerh for this post:

I agree, Mandolin For Dummies should be first on your list.

You might also consider the Artistworks.com school of bluegrass with Mike Marshall.

Old Guy .. raised before the Tech stuff was invented.

I used the radio head approach .. got the tune in my head , replicate it by whistling
    or humming it ,

then took to finding the notes on the fingerboard with my fingers ..

& just kept at it for 10+ or so years..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I understand if you can't afford a lesson or something like that, but saying I don't have time, but I want to dedicate the time to learn the instrument doesn't make much sense to me. There are plenty of people offering skype lessons, so if you are dedicating 30 minutes or an hour to playing you could set one up with somebody from your own house.

Me too. About 18 months ago I got a decent mandolin and determined to learn to really play it. Determined not to waste time and find most efficient way to learn and make up for lost time.

But there is no getting around spending a lot of time with mandolin in hand. No getting around putting in the hours. Personally I like DVD lessons and there a lots of good ones. I also like online resources for learning tunes or technique, again there are many online resources, Google search gets you going.

Nothing beats learning tunes in any genre. Learn tunes you like and learn as many as you can. Playing tunes usually is more fun than exercises and gives similar results, plus it can get you playing with other musicians sooner.

There is no magic bullet other than keeping the mandolin in your hands every spare moment.

Blog Entries

I improved and learned more in 2 months of once a week lessons than two years of hunt-and-peck on my own.

My only regret with mandolin to date is that I didn't take a couple lessons starting out.

Software to slow down a song and loop sections while you learn it is helpful. Many free options there

I study theory in bits and pieces from many web sites. The amount of information available is staggering. For me, learning theory is all about breaking it down into doable doses and learning a new facet weekly or monthly until it starts to add up to understanding.

What are your short term goals for mandolin?

plus 1 for "mandolin for Dummies"

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by jetsedgwick View Post
    ...and my theory is garbage.
    After decades of assiduously avoiding theory (on guitar), I bit the bullet on "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory", and found it an easy read, and even fun. With the mandolin's 5th tuning being symmetrical across all strings (unlike that other instrument!), it'll speed up your assimilation of ALL things musical. Probably even help your guitar playing!

I suspect that, as with most other subjects, the equivalent "Dummies" book is equally helpful. Which leads me to:

Heartily agree on Mandolin For Dummies!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

16. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nashville View Post
    But there is no getting around spending a lot of time with mandolin in hand. No getting around putting in the hours. .
    It seems that it takes about 10 years to sound like you have been playing for a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by EdHanrahan View Post
    After decades of assiduously avoiding theory (on guitar), I bit the bullet on "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory", and found it an easy read, and even fun. With the mandolin's 5th tuning being symmetrical across all strings (unlike that other instrument!), it'll speed up your assimilation of ALL things musical. !
    Yes. The mandolin's layout makes so much sense that IMO music theory comes easier with the mandolin in hand to play.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Software to slow down a song and loop sections while you learn it is helpful. Many free options
    Tell me more, pse
    Eastman 504, Eastman 305, Grafton P-200 open back mandolin banjo

Tell me more, pse
    Amazing Slow Downer has a free version, and I believe the free version of Audacity has the same capability.
    Mitch Russell

20. The following members say thank you to onassis for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I have no idea what others' have said. . .

I learned by going to jams, writing down what folks called and finding tab at mandozine.com. Tab files that open in the, "TabeditViewer" program. The computer's speakers can even play the melody line for you to inform your ear.

I really do (mostly) play by ear. I just think along the journey you want to play with others and learning what they call is a step in the right direction. Take those skills and also learn other genre too. In my case, I also have a duet buddy for Celtic or classical. Old-time jams in a room-full of folks are a lot of fun though!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

22. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Tons of great tips here, thanks uus

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

+1 to all of the above, altho I liked bigsky, fatt-dad, and ed's suggestions.

Do what you like. I'm learning that it helps if you do it the right way. Otherwise, you will eventually have to start over and relearn everything. That's where I'm at. and yes, I'm a rebellious guitar picker too. Currently in TOTAL RESET mode. You have been warned - do it right!!. No it is not a guitar.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jetsedgwick View Post
    I'm a long time guitar player and I picked up the mando about 18 months ago, I'm noodling around and I'm learning songs but I'm not a real mando player and my theory is garbage. I don't have time to go to a lesson so I thought I'd ask here for some friendly advice, is there a really good book? a DVD? Software?

I'm just wondering if there is some resource out there that everyone here knows about except me where I can develop my skills...?
    Do you know where you want to get to in terms of skills and where you want to play?
    As a starting point I'd decide on what genres you want to play (for now) and build a strong image of the kind of player you want to be there. This is what many players use their hero figures for. They make a vague ideal concrete and gives you areas to develop. Different styles will demand different skill sets, with many from one never touched in another or approached in a different way.
    I'm not much of a hero worshipping type so I tend to just decide there's a target piece that sums up all the skills I want to work up in the next phase of development. I also tend to shift my focus seasonally to reflect the type of playing I'll be doing, otherwise multiple genres can be a bit overwhelming with too many different skills clamouring for attention. This can mean a pretty blurred idea of where the focus should be next.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

26. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tezzerh View Post
    Tell me more, pse
    Software or app to slow down a song so you can hear the notes. Ideally you want the pitch to remain the same(most do that) Once you slow it down - then a looping feature would allow you to select a small section of the song (say the first two measures of a mandolin solo) and loop that slowly while you play along figuring out the notes played.

I use a software that I purchased. It plays mp3's. When I load the song I see the track waveform representation displayed like recording software. Then I can highlight a section and slow it down. Usually 75% works great but on harder sections I might make a few passes at 50%. After I've learned the song I'll play along around 85%.

I'll offer this. Songs I've learned this way stay together in my memory better than songs I've learned from tab.

Thanks for all of the responses.
    Weber Black Ice F
    Gretsch Vintage F Oval hole
    Washburn A, Oval hole Mandola
    Weber Black Ice F Octave Mandolin