Thread: Charleston, SC jams?

Default Charleston, SC jams?

We visit family quite often in CTown. Looking for good jams (or just pickers to play with). Traditional bluegrass, to Oldtime.

Thanks!

Default Re: Charleston, SC jams?

I was thinking the same thing. Just here for a visit, leaving in the morning though.

Tuesday night at the Southern in mount pleasant on Coleman blvd. starts around 8. Perry the owner is a good guy!

There is the jam at Southern's on Tuesday. Everyone I have played with there is really open and inviting. The stage is small and can get crowded, and you need to be a little assertive in order to take breaks. There are always people who play nothing but rhythm.

There is the Folly Beach Bluegrass Society Saturday night jam. I have never been, but I have played other venues with some of the regulars. Again, everyone I have met has been really supportive.

If you are looking for something special, and you do not mind going WAY of the beaten path, there is a legendary jam on Saturday evenings in Bethea, which is "sort of" near Charleston. It is held at Guy and Tina Faulk's Pickin' Parlor on Pickin' Parlor Lane. This is a really good jam with some high level pickers, but it is VERY hard to find. The directions read like someone is playing a trick on you. You go past the road you are looking for (you will miss it), go over the railroad tracks, and then turn around (I am not kidding). My best advice is try to find a regular (I am not) either online or when you hit town who can give you good directions. It is very hard to find at night.
    Northfield Artist Series F5 (2 bar, Adirondack)

Thanks, so far. I've been to both the Folly Beach and Southern Bar jams. They're fine but I was looking for something more in a jam session setting. I may try Guy and Tina's. Never been there and I understand it is quite good.

What I was really hoping to find is a couple of bluegrass Oldtime folks in charleston that want to get together and play. I'm predominately playing guitar, both rhythm and flat picking. Love playing fiddle tunes, taking breaks, singing lead or harmony.

Oh, and I'm headed up to Campobello Wednesday to checkout Walter Johnsons workshop and 4 June mandos he has now. Excited about that. May walk away with an A model!
    Last edited by Bachnr; Aug-17-2015 at 9:41am.

I did the same thing and walked away with June #57. It is a fantastic mandolin, not "just" a fantastic mandolin "for the money." It is superior to my Gibson F5.

The Bethea jam is a little like the Folly and Southern jam in that it tends to be the same folks week in and week out. I don't go to any of them with regularity because although everyone is quite nice, I still don't like fighting with 10 other pickers for my breaks.
    Northfield Artist Series F5 (2 bar, Adirondack)

Bachnr,

Did you get a June Mandolin? I'm near Charleston, and I have June #58. I haven't played many Gibsons, but my June is worth double what I paid Mr. Johnson. Now I want a June F

My daughter plays bluegrass/old time fiddle, she's 8. I'm not quite good enough on mando to play a break, so the folks at Bethera don't think much of me. Never been to the other places.

Would love to jam and sing with anyone.

Edit: the people at the Bethera jam are the nicest people you'll ever meet. I just need to practice more!

General, let's plan on getting together the next time I'm in Charleston. We get there every couple weeks. The attraction of grandkids just brings us back. Yes, I bought June #61. I'll be heading to campobello in a few weeks to pick it up. Walter is a great guy, passionate about building excellent mandos, and a genuine pleasure to talk and pick with.

I'll pm you with my phone number.