Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 12345627 ... LastLast

Thread: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

Default Re: The Traveling Pick Sampler - Anyone Interested?

OK, like I said, first shot with the Wegen feels pretty good, thanks Caleb!
    I am adding three "V-Picks to the mix:

A large "ULP"
    A medium "R"
    And an "Ultra lite medium"

Theses will go to Chunky then, it's up to him to send on to the next.
    I kind of like the idea of seeing what's coming so, Chunky, make a note as to what you are adding to the envelope.
    Drew, I think you make a good point, let's see what the good folks at BC have to say.
    Glad to be involved in this little exercise.
    Caleb, which model Wegen is this?
    I want to know when I get to Elderly next time!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I sent the link to this discussion via their contact form online. Worth a shot anyway. I love the idea, but outside of my BCs don't really have anything to contribute unless somebody wants some yellow Steve Kaufman guitar picks, which are cheaper than postage lol.
    Drew
    2020 Northfield 4th Gen F5
    2022 Northfield NFS-F5E
    2019 Northfield Flat Top Octave
    2021 Gold Tone Mando Cello
    https://www.instagram.com/pilotdrew85

3. The following members say thank you to Drew Egerton for this post:

I'd be wary about shipping a Blue Chip pick in an envelope even if it was a donation. That'd put the value of the pack up from ~$15 to ~$50, and at that point, it might be worth it to ship the picks in a small box by USPS.

In any case, I'd be sure to tape the picks between a couple index cards with some space between each pick and make sure they don't get loose or pile up. I just had a bad experience with having an envelope shipped to me just yesterday. USPS runs all the envelopes through a machine that only works on fairly flat and flexible envelopes. If it's not flat, the envelope can rip open and actually damage the sorting machine. (I know that because I just read it off a letter I received from the post office.) There's a good chance they'll just dispose of everything and send you a letter stating that it was damaged or maybe you'll just never hear anything about the lost mail.
    My Music
    My Twitter
    ––
    2015 Big Muddy M-2
    Sweet Woods mountain dulcimer

By the time it gets to you it will be a box anyway.
    Timothy F. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    By the time it gets to you it will be a box anyway.
    Speaking of which, I never said to re-add my to the list. So, add me to the list . . if there is even a list. Guess I'd be around 7th or 8th, which will probably be in a month or so anyway.
    My Music
    My Twitter
    ––
    2015 Big Muddy M-2

Classifieds, there are a few people wanting to sell a bunch of picks in one go, maybe they will play along.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by pilotdrew View Post
    Your comment about BC in the original post brought up an idea. Maybe the nice folks at BC would be interested in donating one or two different kinds to the mix?

If it was my business, I would think that's a pretty good opportunity to sell a certain number of them for the cost of donating a couple. Might work if this goes to enough people...
    If Blue Chip wanted to do one better, how about sending every registered member of Mandolin Cafe a free BC pick? Seems like a small gesture that would pay huge dividends in word of mouth advertising, instantly reaching all the right people, IMHO.....

9. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Two points Jeff!
    No real list, I'm sending to Chunky, his call after that.
    I have a dogs attention span so.....ooh look a squirrel!
    Timothy F. Lewis

I have seen several people on here enjoy using Primetones. I have several and personally don't like them. I would like a Wegen. PM me for a possible trade.

I am going to have my wife print out a sheet with some spaces for what's in the package, who put in what, and so forth. Won't be much when it leaves here but, in six months, there might be some pretty interesting stuff in the mix.
    Probably more than a month objectsession, I'm gong to need a few days with the Wegen, for the earlier noted reasons. I can't make a decision about much of anything in a matter of minutes, picks can take some different situations to get a real feel for at least for me.
    Timothy F. Lewis

OK, rode the Wegen pretty hard at an afternoon gig today, I needed to see what it was like in a band setting.
    I liked the stiffness, a needed a little bit of stick um to keep it under control. It's a bit too rounds for how I play leads, fine for rhythm but, I like the "V-Pick Jalape๑o" with some stick um better. Sorry, I only have two and, I'm using one and saving #2 for when I finally burn through the first one. I might pull the trigger on a Wegen with a little sharper point next visit to Elderly. Feel is pretty good but shape just isn't the one for me.
    Package will be off to you soon, "Chunky"! PM me and as soon as I get to the PO it's your baby!
    Timothy F. Lewis

This pick exchange sounds interesting. I'm a new player (my mandolin arrives in a few days), and I'm curious what picks I should start with. The shop owner that I bought my Mando from threw in a few different Wegen picks for free with my purchase. He said he wanted to set me up right, but I'm curious on others I should try. Thoughts? Should I start a new thread? Is there a pack you can buy to sample? I have been reading threads on the cafe for over a month to make sure I knew what I was getting myself into. I've never played a string instrument but am excited about my soon to be new "addiction".

Well, it sounds like you realize you have the same problem as so many here, it is an addiction!
    You will get as many pick recommendations as pickers. I started way before there were any of these fancy things, it was all pretty much Fender and a few others. Then Dunlop changed everything! I always carry a lavender tortex standard shape but, have been playing the "Jalape๑o" quite a bit.
    In a while, I suggest you contact someone down the thread and tell them you want to participate.
    Picks are probably the most personal piece of equipment you will buy, other than mandolins themselves. It's the last thing between the instrument and the sound you will get.
    Timothy F. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by especking View Post
    Is there a pack you can buy to sample?
    I've been wondering about that, too. It seems like something that would make a lot of sense for online stores (like the smallish non-Guitar Center ones that sponsor this site). They could have specialized packs like "bluegrass mandolin pick sampler" or whatever with fairly common, brand name, $2 or cheaper picks (that they already stock in their store) and sell it for ~$10. Seems like a win/win/win, for the store, the new player, and the companies that make the picks.

I haven't seen that although I bought a huge generic guitar pick variety pack a while ago - useful, but I don't know exactly what I'm playing with and couldn't easily buy more of what I like (and I don't like them as much as others I have for the most part).
    My Music
    My Twitter
    ––
    2015 Big Muddy M-2

I had an unfair advantage when I started playing. I worked in the store! I played with just about every pick in the joint and just leaned toward heavier ones. With so many picks available now days, it would be a long time to find the right ones.
    Timothy F. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by objectsession View Post
    I've been wondering about that, too. It seems like something that would make a lot of sense for online stores (like the smallish non-Guitar Center ones that sponsor this site). They could have specialized packs like "bluegrass mandolin pick sampler" or whatever with fairly common, brand name, $2 or cheaper picks (that they already stock in their store) and sell it for ~$10. Seems like a win/win/win, for the store, the new player, and the companies that make the picks.

I haven't seen that although I bought a huge generic guitar pick variety pack a while ago - useful, but I don't know exactly what I'm playing with and couldn't easily buy more of what I like (and I don't like them as much as others I have for the most part).
    I agree. You would think that a shop like the Mandolin Store, the Mando Shop, and etc would have something like this. I think it is a win/win/win.

I think tastes are so widely varied it might be more a "hit or miss" as much as win/win/win. The shop I worked at had over two hundred picks in 1976, so many more have come to market since then, it would be pretty tough to make a comprehensive sampler. At least for me. I have been around this long enough I know what I like in general, specifics still change. I used to have folks sit down and try a few, see what they thought they liked and sent a few slightly heavier or lighter home for them to try. I think learning is not just sitting by yourself with a bag of picks, it's being willing to learn from others experience. It was for me.
    Timothy F. Lewis

20. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    I think tastes are so widely varied it might be more a "hit or miss" as much as win/win/win.
    Then you add the picks you don't like to a Traveling Pick Sampler.

Seriously, though, my idea would be more geared towards people that wouldn't visit a physical store or play with others (or wouldn't do that right away). Part of the value to the players, plus being relatively cheap, is the educational value. They would learn that different styles of picks exist and, ideally, get a short description about each pick, all on a standard 1-page printout. That's why my idea works better for websites like The Mandolin Store or Elderly or those that specialize in accessories (like Just Strings). The player would feel that they are getting some sort of expert knowledge. Eventually, when people come on here and ask what picks to try, instead of getting dozens of suggestions that are *very* hit or miss and potentially fairly expensive, people will say "buy the Mandolin Pick Pack from Elderly, then get back to us with what you think."
    My Music
    My Twitter
    ––
    2015 Big Muddy M-2

I think this is what Caleb had in mind, I'm not adding my "favorite" (Jalape๑o) but, some others from "V-Pick" and will add my standard, since they are readily available and cheap. This way no one spends anything on something which doesn't feel right and can use the information to fine tune what they might order.
    The value of kindergarten etiquette, "Share so everyone can try it."
    Timothy F. Lewis

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbofood For This Useful Post:

OK gang, here's what's headed to Chunky:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	137935
    I had a boat load of my "go to" picks so, I am sharing a few. I have been known to burn through one of them in a weekend of gigging so, don't feel bad if you wear one out. I do play fairly heavy handed though.

I am going to run some errands after the crew finishes come concrete and blacktop work in front of the house. I want to be around so they done make any miserable mistakes regarding my property. They've been pretty good but, it always needs that personal interface with the out of town crew, they will leave and I might have a big restoration project. You know what I mean.
    Timothy F. Lewis

25. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Tim, the sampler looks great. Nice work.

I didn't get around to having my wife do the list but, this will do pretty much the same thing.
    Just trimmed an old Manila file folder to fit a legal size envelope and cut some slots, I cut all the way through both sides so, there's room for "growth"!

I think it's a pretty good start for its first stop
    Have some fun "Chunky"
    Timothy F. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by objectsession View Post
    Then you add the picks you don't like to a Traveling Pick Sampler.

Seriously, though, my idea would be more geared towards people that wouldn't visit a physical store or play with others (or wouldn't do that right away). Part of the value to the players, plus being relatively cheap, is the educational value. They would learn that different styles of picks exist and, ideally, get a short description about each pick, all on a standard 1-page printout. That's why my idea works better for websites like The Mandolin Store or Elderly or those that specialize in accessories (like Just Strings). The player would feel that they are getting some sort of expert knowledge. Eventually, when people come on here and ask what picks to try, instead of getting dozens of suggestions that are *very* hit or miss and potentially fairly expensive, people will say "buy the Mandolin Pick Pack from Elderly, then get back to us with what you think."
    objectsession,

It sounds like you have several years of experience. What would you suggest? Kyle at the Mando Shop included the following with the purchase of my first mandolin: Wegen Rounded White Pick - 1.5 mm & Wegen Triangle Black 1.4 mm Pick. I just got the mandolin today; I like what I see and hear, but am a beginner. I have to find the right pick and string combo. I guess the first thing is learning some to play more than the 3 cords I learned online for the purpose of selecting my first mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by especking View Post
    objectsession,

It sounds like you have several years of experience. What would you suggest? Kyle at the Mando Shop included the following with the purchase of my first mandolin: Wegen Rounded White Pick - 1.5 mm & Wegen Triangle Black 1.4 mm Pick. I just got the mandolin today; I like what I see and hear, but am a beginner. I have to find the right pick and string combo. I guess the first thing is learning some to play more than the 3 cords I learned online for the purpose of selecting my first mandolin.
    Sorry, I don't really have a lot of experience - I just have a lot of experience not knowing what I'm doing. But I'm glad I sound experienced. I had played for a year or so, but without really trying hard to learn to play better. I started trying to play more "seriously" and bought a variety of cheaper picks just a month or two ago. I've also been reading a lot of the archives here, so that's probably why I sound knowledgeable. If you search on google, you can type in something like "picks site:mandolincafe.com" and then you'll get a bunch of old threads just from this site.

I do know enough to know that there is no "right pick". You're not just finding the right combination of picks and strings - you're finding the right combination of picks, strings, mandolin, playing style, sound preference, playing environment . . you get the point. I think Kyle started you off well since there are some people that like sharper picks and some that like rounder picks. If i were you, for comparison, I'd try to also get a hold of a couple thinner guitar picks (like the ones that are 35 cents each or $3 for a dozen if not given away for free (or found in the laundromat) . . like 0.7 mm, not "thin" by guitar standards but thinner than what you have). It sounds like more people on here end up using a thicker pick like you have, but some use thinner. I've heard a couple people say they had an easier time with thinner (and thus more flexible) picks at the start because you need to hold stiffer picks less tightly. That's my impression as well, especially with chords, but I switch between about 5 picks sort of randomly.
    My Music
    My Twitter
    ––
    2015 Big Muddy M-2

So CBF, did I you get the sampler?
    First impressions?
    Timothy F. Lewis