Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sally Goodin--Mandolin Project Discussion

" Is there a chance that you could post only the single mandolin track? "

Well, "yes". But, wouldn't that defeat the purpose? What I mean is, part of the adventure here is exploring where the song goes in your hands. That's why I thought some guitar back-up tracks would help give folks a 'context' for their own playing, and maybe help ground the melody against something other than a MIDI track.

But, "Yes". I'll send you a link off-line later, rather than posting it out 'in public'. ( I'd be nekkid! )

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Benignus:

It's so purty I'm like to cry.

Jack
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

Benig: To turn around what you said earlier: And that's what makes you an artist/recording artist and me just a back-porch singer.

------

Added after hearing it: WOW! Cool! You could sell that!

It's "Appalachia," (Apple-at-chuh), like I'm gunna throw an apple atcha' if you correct me again.

It's all done with smoke and mirrors, my dear. Simon Cowell would eat me for breakfast.

BTW: Thanks everyone for the compliments. Other than the beer guzzlers at the corner pub, #you all are my only audience. So it's nice to hear the feedback. It's really made me feel happy ... and also a tad self-concious.

- Benig

" ... and me just a back-porch singer. "

And all I can think is, " Cool! A back porch to pick on! " That's a true Urban Rarity!

Quote Originally Posted by (Benignus @ Mar. 01 2004, 19:00)
    And all I can think is, " Cool! A back porch to pick on! " That's a true Urban Rarity!
    You know, I should practice there if the weather's nice next time I'm at the house (with my folks). I don't have a porch here in the dorm except the landing of the fire escape or the one one on the adjoining building (or the sidewalk). Never thought about anyone except some apartment/dorm dwellers not having them (and apt dwellers have balconies, or a stoop or something, right?)
    It's "Appalachia," (Apple-at-chuh), like I'm gunna throw an apple atcha' if you correct me again.

Benignus, that's great, man! #Now, get to work on another song for us! #

BTW, what mandolin (& strings) are you playing? Guitar?? They sound good.

Benignus, well done! Groovy little "swing" you put on it too. It's great to hear what the song really sounds like, since I've only heard it on a MIDI until now....

I just sprained my wrist snowboarding over the weekend -- doh!! -- so I may have to back out of this project, at least temporarily. Really hoping it will feel better in a few days.... what a bummer... # And just when I was starting to really COOK on this tune (ha, ha!)

Sigh....

well, we've got 53 signed up so far, but where is everyone? you all workin' so hard on the song you got no time for the cafe? my fingers get too sore, so i've got to take a break.

just wanted to see how you're coming along? the transition to the double-stops section is still killing me. i've found that i have to slam the pinky down on the A-note/D-string so that it is perfectly perpendicular with the fretboard. otherwise, there's all kinds of buzzing. that's pretty tough when you're middle finger is reaching for the B-note/A-string. i really like the sound of the double stops, so i want to get it. but, i don't imagine i'll be playing this song at more than 120 bpm.

pick on . . .

craig

I find that dropping into measure 21 from the last note in measure 20 (F# to A) is driving my fingers batty...they just don't to it very cleanly (yet). However, I think that getting that transition smooth will allow me to jump into the double-stop section more fluidly (whether its following the first B-part or following one of the A-parts). Basically, I'm looking to play this thing regardless of order (or logic thereof)...having identical rhythm/backup chords is key! The 12th fret 'E' is also driving me batty...and the B-part variation doesn't seem to have the melody/logic that the first B-part has, but I'm trying to drill it into my head!

Other stuff: I downloaded the audacity software and dug out a mic. I'll start playing around with it and hopefully will have something to post in the not too distant future (assuming the recording process is somewhat straighforward...so no promises). Just don't expect benig quality recording/playing!

Bill

Those who suck (at current ability level anyway) should not be perfectionists! The best I managed even after beating a little piece to death is that you can ALMOST recognise it. *L* I had a timing problem on the second measure and stayed there forever. Okay, time to learn the REST of the song now.

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Some doublestop stuff ala Buzz Busby, Vassar Clements, Dale Potter etc. aplied to "Sally Goodin". Use the 3rd and 1st fingers for most of the doublestops.

<span style='font-family:courier'>&#124;&#124;-5-0-4-5--0-1-2-0-&#124;-3-0-2-3--0-1-2-0-&#124;-5-0-4-5--0-1-2-0-&#124;------------------&#124;&#124;
    &#124;&#124;-9-0-8-9--0-3-4-0-&#124;-7-0-6-7--0-3-4-0-&#124;-9-0-8-9--0-3-4-0-&#124;-5-0-3-4--0---0---&#124;&#124;
    &#124;&#124;------------------&#124;------------------&#124;------------------&#124;-9-0-6-7--7-7-7---&#124;&#124;
    &#124;&#124;------------------&#124;------------------&#124;------------------&#124;------------6-----&#124;&#124;</span>

Niles Hokkanen

Mandocrucian tracks on SoundCloud

CoMando Guest of the Week 2003 interview of Niles

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

niles,

thanks for the suggestion! i tried this run a bit. i can't seem to get the sound of it to fit with the song. would you be able to provide a sample?

cheers,

craig

Nice job Benignus. I'd love to have your rhythm tracks to practice with.

I don't have the patience for tab, so I'm tryin to work it out on my own. Hopefully it will at least end up recognizable

Benignus,

amazing recording and as always the players with mucho talent are the most humble.

great stuff!
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Professional History Nerd John Zimm's Avatar

Hey, I just listened to your recording of Sally Goodin Benignus . That is awesome. Now I have to read the rest of the thread to see how you did it.

-John.
    Ah! must --
    Designer Infinite --
    Ah! must thou char the wood 'ere thou canst limn with it ?
    --Francis Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by (craig @ Mar. 02 2004, 11:54)
    well, we've got 53 signed up so far, but where is everyone? #you all workin' so hard on the song you got no time for the cafe? #my fingers get too sore, so i've got to take a break.
    Craig,

I'm here, I'm just lurking! The version of Sally Goodin from co-mando is way beyond my reach at the moment. I've only been playing since the start of the year....

I have, however, recently bought the "Teach Yourself Bluegrass" book which contains a much simpler version, and I'm doing quite well with that. I'll be working on this and once I get it down I might try and move up to the more difficult version.

As for the one mp3 we have so far, all I can say is "wow". Quite magnificent and almost enough to put me off even trying.

WTG Benignus, not only is the playing good, but you got the recording down. It is good to have something model off of.

I'll be interested to see everyones interpretations ....and ...lolol.....I'll be truly interested to see my own flap fingered mess.

Love the posts and am so glad to have found a great community.

Harlan

hey y'all!

check out SJennings' version! #nice suprise. #we have another brave vocalist here. #it's uploaded at Mandolin Project. #love the fusion of the two songs and he does a real nice job with the double-stop section of Sally Goodin--something i'm still struggling with.

thanks for playing Shane!

craig

Really nice, Shane! I loved that!!

Am I the only one not playing Tabledit's version? I just don't have time to learn that, so I go for Bert Casey's version with a slight variation. I'd love to learn the more complicated version but it's simply impossible while being a college student (and on the last term too, with absolutely NO free time - if I play the mandolin I steal time from my studies).

Thanks, guys! Don't give me too much credit for the double stop section -- I didn't play the double stop. I chickened out and left my pinky out of the deal. Just played the A part again where the double stop was supposed to be. Maybe I'll get that part down a little better by month end and post an update. I thought I'd post just what came out without doing any editing and punching in. I've been playing mando for a year, and it would probably take me another year to get the recording perfect.

At any rate, I'm sure someone is really going to shine on the double stop section. I look forward to hearing it done right.

Shane,

Great stuff !!! Like the integration of Country Boy and Sally Goodin.

Harlan

Right On! Shane! I really like your voice, and - of course - the whole Denver integration. Great job. I'm grinnin' ear to ear.

Would you be willing to share recording details for us technophiles?

- Benignus

shane,

oh, i thought i heard some double-stops in there. i'll have to have a better listen. nice job, nonetheless! i'm gonna go make my fingers bleed . . .

craig

Hmmmm.....I thought I heard some double stops in there too. Hey, if that was "chickening out" Shane it sounded pretty darn good to me! Glad to see another John Denver fan too -- always loved that tune....

Well, back to practice. I may have to "chicken out" on that double stop section too...the best I can say about my version is it sounds a little less horrible than when I first started. Hey, progress is progress....:D

Carolyn