Thread: Tacoma Mandolin

Default Tacoma Mandolin

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3260-1.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	136955
    This is my other mandolin. Also a flat top, but these are unique. Bolt- on neck (like an electric guitar) All solid wood, Rosewood back and sides. It has jumbo frets. It resembles the chief guitar models also made by Tacoma, back in the day. It is very comfortable to play, but changing the strings is challenging * only four tabs for eight strings.

Default Re: Tacoma Mandolin

I have one of these and the neck and frets are quite nice but the sound was not.I put on an Orrico tailpiece and an adjustable maple bridge and could not believe how good it sounds.

Blog Entries

I have never played a Tacoma, but I have jammed with a few, and they sounded wonderful.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinstew View Post
    I have one of these and the neck and frets are quite nice but the sound was not.I put on an Orrico tailpiece and an adjustable maple bridge and could not believe how good it sounds.
    Did you have to plug the hole and then drill a new one for the strap button?

I installed a Weber tp on mine and did have to plug and redrill. The Tacoma hole is larger and lower than normal.
    Blow on, man.

I don't have the proper tools or skill to do that. Only becomes an issue for me during string changes. Maybe I will just leave it as designed. I have my Red Valley, which is my avatar, and that one is set up perfectly. They each have their own unique charm. To finish my collection, I am having an F Style arch top being made for me.

Would 300$ a good deal for a Tacoma M1 with hardcase, both in excellent condition?

Not particularly... I'd hold out for the rosewood one. There was a rosewood Tacoma at GuitarCenter used for $150 a few months ago...

I paid a little over $300 for mine (rosewood) about two years ago from the Mandolin Store. Really liked it, but sold it recently when I purchased a custom keith coleman mando. If you see one for $150 buy it immediately!

Quote Originally Posted by PH-Mando View Post
    If you see one for $150 buy it immediately!
    I almost did... a rosewood Tacoma was my first decently made mandolin and I have fond memories of it. I remember spending $750 on it (my Dad had to help me out) and thinking it was an unfathomable amount of money.

Marty you describe it perfectly(fond memories). My first mandolin was also a new Tacoma I got from the Guitar Center under the Huey P. Long Bridge(New Orleans area). I went in to try some finger picking Guitars and Resonators but kept glancing at the little Tacoma hung way up high on the warehouse sound room like decoration. I like many others assumed my hands were too large to play but finally asked if I could try it out. It was so much fun I couldn't put it down. I never would have guessed that little Tacoma would be the seed to completely regrow my musical direction. Mine also had a beautiful tone but lacked the separation and dynamic response of a good carved top. It felt like more of a flattop guitar like response and sustain which to me is very different and slower in the way it reacts to pick manipulation. If I remember correctly she was a maple backed M3 in the same price range. Most used ones I see are in the $400 to $600 range no matter the model. M1=Sitka/Mahogany, M2=Sitka/Rosewood, M3=Sitka/Maple.
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

M1
    - single sharp cutaway body, solid Sitka spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides, offset soundhole in the upper bass bout, one-piece mahogany neck, 24-fret ebony fingerboard with pearl dot inlays, mahogany headstock overlay with Tacoma branded logo, four-per-side tuners, ebony bridge, steel tailpiece, clear pickguard, black hardware, available in Natural satin finish, 10.85 in. body width, 2.125 in. body depth, 1.125 in. nut width, 13.875 in. scale, mfg. mid-1998-2006.

M2
    - single sharp cutaway body, solid Sitka spruce top, solid rosewood back and sides, offset soundhole in the upper bass bout, ivoroid body binding, one-piece mahogany neck, 24-fret ebony fingerboard with pearl dot inlays, mahogany headstock overlay with ivoroid Tacoma inlaid logo, four-per-side tuners, ebony bridge, steel tailpiece, clear pickguard, black hardware, available in Natural gloss finish, 10.85 in. body width, 2.125 in. body depth, 1.125 in. nut width, 13.875 in. scale, mfg. mid-1998-2002.

M3
    - single sharp cutaway body, solid Sitka spruce top, solid flamed/figured maple back and sides, offset soundhole in the upper bass bout, ivoroid body binding, one-piece flamed/figured maple neck, 24-fret ivoroid-bound ebony fingerboard with pearl dot inlays, bound ebony headstock overlay with ivoroid Tacoma inlaid logo, four-per-side gold tuners with pearl buttons, ebony bridge, steel tailpiece, clear pickguard, gold hardware, available in Natural or Sunburst (1998-2001) gloss finish, 10.85 in. body width, 2.125 in. body depth, 1.125 in. nut width, 13.875 in. scale, mfg. mid-1998-2006.
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

I bought mine on Jan-21-2016 after I asked the question about the price. 300$ for good, in excellent condition.
    I looked up the Internet, the same model with identical hard case is listed for 450$+50$ shipping.
    I am happy with the sound, crisp and clear, longer sustain. The heavy body appears to improve the sustain and the mando is so stable when I plug the strings. Other mandos I have are much lighter and do not give me the same feeling.