Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collings mandolin question

Default Collings mandolin question

I'm thinking of purchasing a new MF mandolin. To the people in the know, what do you think of their mandolins?

Default Re: Collings mandolin question

I have an MT, and MF and an MT-O. Guess I like them. Find the sound very full (to my ears) and I like the consistency from neck to neck. Easy to play, easy on the eyes, easy on the ears. YMMV
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

Flawless CNC based build, nice finish, decent resale value, good sound. But for that same amount, if sound is the most important factor, there are many better choices, even if a scroll is a must. Depends on the voicing one is seeking too. The term "modern" is often used to describe the Collings sound, but many other makes in this price point and even less, will provide a richer more complex, woodier, maybe "darker" voicing that many seek. If an A style is acceptable, the landscape is even wider. Sacrilege, but there it is.

4. The following members say thank you to renoyd for this post:

I only have one and it's a MF.

Love mine. Plays great, sounds great & looks great. Can't go wrong with a Collings~

Mr. Ddd:

I have two Collings (see my signature line). I love them both. I have never had any negative experience from Collings. When I have called (twice) for information, someone picked up the phone and I had my questions answered. Most people who see and hear my mandolins make positive remarks and it is NOT because of my playing !! LOL I don't think you can go wrong with this builder.
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

our family has had two MT's and one MTO come thru(one still lives here-the other was sold in a weak moment and is probably a regret).
    our family has owned 4 Webers(two Gallatins, one BitterRoot-excellent mando, and one Black Ice F), one Pava, and i've had hands on many others in my attempt to find my holy grail.

imo, Collings have one of the cleanest surgical builds out there. you just can't find anything wrong build wise. the ones i've held always feel light in weight. i am a setup freak and want as flat as possible fretboards and as low as possible action for ease of fretting-Collings have always provided that for me.

tone is so subjective so i will not touch that. i personally like the englemann tops and a satin finish-seems i am drawn to those components in the Collings line up-i've played maybe a dozen of differing tops, finishes.

tend to sell quickly/easily.

tend to be easy on the eye.

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by renoyd View Post
    Flawless CNC based build, nice finish, decent resale value, good sound. But for that same amount, if sound is the most important factor, there are many better choices, even if a scroll is a must. Depends on the voicing one is seeking too. The term "modern" is often used to describe the Collings sound, but many other makes in this price point and even less, will provide a richer more complex, woodier, maybe "darker" voicing that many seek. If an A style is acceptable, the landscape is even wider. Sacrilege, but there it is.
    You say many things, but very little that appears to be concrete, helpful advice. What makers (same price or lower) would you suggest have a richer, more complex, woodier/darker voicing? Not saying you're wrong. I'm merely suggesting that you're not really saying anything.

Sorry.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to terzinator For This Useful Post:

You also PM the member called mandobar. She has had and still has many Collings over the years. She would have a broad view for sure.
    2005 Rigel G5 #2196
    2005 Phoenix Jazz #400
    1988 Jeff Traugott Acoustic #4
    2012 Eastman 905 Archtop Guitar, BLOND!

Remember to grin while you pick, it throws folks off!

Scooped tone, or modern is a generalized term. There will be differences, but it covers the sound pretty good. The term scooped comes from the sound of modern music where the bass and treble is enhanced and the midrange diminished - a common practice used in the studio to catch the ear of the listener. Personally I don't like the sound. I guess at the other end of the spectrum would be the Weber. Gibsons traditionally have a midrange honk. Heidens, etc.. Like I said though, generalizing but usually a builder will have a certain consistent sound after a while.

I own a MTO and love it. I have been to many jams and played many mandos, mine has always sounded best by far. Other players in the room always comment on the sound, projection and good looks.

Go for it!
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

Taste in tone is subjective, as others have said. I have an MT. Flawless build quality, absolutely flawless.

The only thing I'll say is that their neck profile might not be everyone's thing. Maybe because I played an Eastman for so many years before I got the Collings, but the V-shaped neck of the MT took a bit for me to adjust to. Neck shape is a very important aspect of bonding with an instrument.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caleb For This Useful Post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    The only thing I'll say is that their neck profile might not be everyone's thing. Maybe because I played an Eastman for so many years before I got the Collings, but the V-shaped neck of the MT took a bit for me to adjust to. Neck shape is a very important aspect of bonding with an instrument.
    I agree, and I happen to love the V-shape neck on my Collings. That preference perhaps explains how the MT has managed to stick around despite being joined by some other mandolins that I might prefer tonally, and it certainly has informed some of my subsequent purchases, particularly my Passernig. Are any other builders noted for employing the pronounced V-shaped neck profile like that found on a Collings?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I'm not sure about other builders having such a V-neck profile. The neck shape is one reason it's always better to play before you buy if possible. I got my Eastman early on in the journey and didn't really know my preference but guess I got used to it over time. The Collings was quite an adjustment (it was a gift from my wife).

The Collings sound is not as generic as you would think. I have a MT2 with italian top and birdseye back and sides.........it is like no other Collings I have played or owned. It has the most melodic sounding voice I have heard in a mandolin, and I have owned and played too many to count. It is the most well-balanced mandolin that I have ever played. These are in very short supply and I just happened to be in the store when it came in. I played three notes on it and could not let it go. It became my graduation present (from grad school). I am also very pleased to own the oval hole version of this mandolin. Both TME and AcousticMusic.org have italian topped mandolins in stock or on order. For those of you near these shops I invite you to sample these for yourself.

Just so you know, Collings will build mandolins with a more rounded shaped neck. You just need to ask.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    Just so you know, Collings will build mandolins with a more rounded shaped neck. You just need to ask.
    Do you know of any other builders who will produce a Collings-style V-shape neck profile without having to ask?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Every one has a standard neck carve. I had a Brentrup F5 style with a baseball bat neck, and from what Hans told me that was his standard neck carve at the time. You could ask for a different shape, but this was the neck shape on the mandolins he build for dealers and on spec. My point was that people complain about the shape of Collings necks, but there are alternatives. You just need to ask.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Everybody is different, but I find the neck on my Collings MT extremely easy to play and I like the sound.
    I suppose the sound is a bit different from an old Gibson, for example, but my impression certainly is that most people here think they are really pretty good mandolins - and they are!
    David A. Gordon

21. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

For the record and to be clear, I love my Collings and consider it a lifelong keeper. The build and finish are flawless, the neck feels good to me (but did take a bit to get used to, only because it was different, not worse), and the sound is perfect to my ear. Also, I'm not entirely sold on the idea of a "Collings sound" or them having a "modern" sound. Having played and heard several of them, they all sound a little different. I've played some MTs that were bass-heavy, and then there are others like mine that are more balanced across the tonal spectrum. Mine just sounds like a great mandolin, period.

Many moons ago I traded a Thompson F5 (which I wish I could've kept now that Mr. Thompson has passed)for an Collins MT because I was so impressed with the sound and playability. I still have the MT and it definitely packs the punch needed in a jam session. I've been commented throughout the years many times on the great sound it has. You will not regret your purchase of a collings mandolin.

I took my Collings MT to Gruhn's and Carter's in Nashville earlier this year and to my ears it beat out many mandolins in the $5,000 - $9,000 rage. It certainly didn't beat out all of them, but held up very well in volume, playability and tone.

I find myself playing in many loud jams, and I've received many, many compliments on my MTs projection, cutting ability and tone at these events.

I love my Collings, it's a very neutral and versatile instrument, does everything I want it to do. The only reason I can think not to get one is if you're way deep into one tiny niche genre. Like, if all you want to play is jug band music, there are probably mandolins better suited to that sound than a Collings. But if you want to play jug band music on weeknights and choro on the weekend, the Collings would sound pretty good in both.

I have a Collings MT and have played a few MF's and other MT's as well. All I can say is you really can't go wrong with Collings mandolins; they play nice, sound nice, and are very consistent mandolin to mandolin. That being said, I went to Mandolin Brothers and played about everything they had at the time in my price range. For me, the Collings was the best choice.

On the neck, I used to downplay neck profile, having come from guitar and bass, until I go my hands on a thicker neck vs the Collings and it hurt my hand to play it. I was surprised to find out how sensitive I am to neck profile. Again, try to get out and play some different types.

Best of luck!
    =======
    Ellis F5 #81 (2006)
    Collings MT
    Eastman MD904

For the number of mandolins that Collings has made there are relatively few that come to the resale market. A used (even a new MT2) is a pretty hot commodity.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

I won't be redundant on the fit, finish, workmanship flawless descriptions; all true.

Regarding tone; I have subjectively noted that the older Collings builds (#1-#130 or so) that I've played were distinctively "Gibsonesque" in the neck feel, and in the "mid-rangey", darkish character to the tone which had plently of "pop" and "bark" while chopping chords. In fact, the owner of one of these who knows Bill Collings says that at that time Collings was trying to prove he could "out Gibson" Gibson!

The newer Collings builds that I have played I would classify as "modern" in tone. All fine instruments, and I'd be happy with either of the 6 that I have played. Regarding the 2 older "Gibsonesque" builds: 1 A model and 1 F model...and that F model is one of the best bluegrass mandolins I've played, I would say the equal of my 94' F5L.
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

This should give a good example of modern "scooped" tone of Collings, versus a "traditional" honk.

And there's a tone more great examples of various builds from same place.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fscotte For This Useful Post:

DddElb2000