Thread: Learning chords

Default Learning chords

I've been trying to learn chords on my own. I have several chord books and charts but they are very confusing. They show you how to play individual chords and the fingering but I have no idea how to translate to playing. Do I have to memorize all the chords in these charts or is there a system to learn chords based on music theory or some other mechanism or should I just get a new teacher. I've been playing classical for five years but my teacher is not into teaching chords and chord progressions etc.

Default Re: Learning chords

Let me see if I understand this. You have a teacher that doesn't know about chords. I'm assuming you are talking about a mandolin teacher. Is there a specific genre of music you want to learn?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Hi dj.

I have a Mel Bay book by Dix Bruce called "You can teach yourself to play mandolin." It starts out teaching chords and has you playing simple songs right from the beginning. I think it is great for learning chords. It starts out with two finger open chords like F, G, C and D, then goes to A and E, then starts with some of the minor chords. I think by the time you get through the first part of the book teaching chords, you will be happy you bought the book. I really like it. It has melody playing the second part of the book. I haven't gotten that far yet, so can't comment.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stacey Morris For This Useful Post:

Learning chords works best by learning a few at a time--preferably ones that work together--such as the main chords in a key.
    I learned it that way on guitar and so it was a simple step to learn them on Mandolin
    Learning how chords are constructed is helpful as well--but take it step by step--don't try to learn it all at once.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

I would start by reading an introductory level music theory book, ideally with the aid of a keyboard so that you could play the examples to get the sounds in your ear. You might even pay for a couple theory lessons with a sympathetic piano teacher. I would be a little wary of a teacher of fretboard instruments who can't explain basic chord theory.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Harmony is the key concept of western music. It's what separates western music from other music from the world. So your teacher had best learn up.

Music theory for dummies is a good place to start.

For mandolin chords don julins mandolin for dummies.

I'm trying to remember a source I read recently which showed you on the fret board where the third, the fifth and the seventh were in relation to all the notes. (They are all in the same place across the fretboard). Learning these relationships is your foundations.

The tip above about the keyboard is a good one. Unlike the mandolin there is only one place a note
    Can be.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

9. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

gtani7 

Blog Entries

Classical music teachers are often not helpful for folk and popular styles. I'm sure the teacher understands harmony, but you're talking about using it in other styles, I presume.

I would not be concerned with learning chords per se, it's like learning the dictionary. I would learn the chords for the tunes and songs you like, be able to strum along with someone or on your own. If a fiddle tune with no chords shown, ask your teacher or perhaps on this forum---they are usually simple in form. If you have songbook with just chord names, you look up those in a chart collection for mandolin. Most songs only need 3 or 4 chords, it's not hard to learn three chords. Once you have those somewhat familiar you'll find them again and again, and new songs will have some things similar and some things different, and you will build as you go.

At least, that's how it worked for me. I was being taught classical violin, but taught myself guitar from a book of cowboy songs. When I went to a classical music camp that had a harmony class I realized I already knew what they were talking about, pretty much. Learn songs, not theory, is my way. There are, however, differences in learning style---some people need a system to explain why stuff works. I just get frustrated by that and instead find that learning a song makes other songs more understandable.

BTW, do not think there is only one version of any chord, but don't worry about which one you use at first, and just don't plan to use that one forever.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

11. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

gtani7 

lost in the woods below Lake Tahoe, California

Chords are dangerous. Once you know a tune's chords, you can improvise -- oh, the horror! -- and otherwise mess with the piece. Strict classicists don't care much to have pieces messed with. It's like Bach vs boogie-woogie. Yo Yo Ma does not improvise. Start down that path and you're doomed, DOOMED!

Learn a piece's harmonic structure i.e. its named chords, its progression. Play those chords in various positions whilst working the melody in. Now transpose to a dissimilar key and try again. Repeat with another song, and another. You'll quickly see the logic of the progressions, and also gain facility with playing all over the fretboard. Now hook up with guys named Lester and Earl and you'll be famous! (Okay, that may take a while...)
    Mandos: Coleman & Soviet ovals; Kay & Rogue A5's; Harmonia F2 & mandola
    Ukuleles: 3 okay tenors; 3 cheap sopranos; Harmonia concert & baritone
    Banjos: Gretsch banjolin; Varsity banjolele; Orlando 5-string; fretless & fretted Cümbüs o'uds
    Acoustic guitars: Martin Backpacker; Ibanez Performance; Art et Lutherie; Academy dobro; Ovation 12-string
    Others: Maffick & First Act dulcimers; Mexican cuatro-menor; Puerto Rican cuatro; Martin tiple; electrics
    Wanted: charango; balalaika; bowlback mando

Quote Originally Posted by k0k0peli View Post
    Chords are dangerous. Once you know a tune's chords, you can improvise -- oh, the horror! -- and otherwise mess with the piece. Strict classicists don't care much to have pieces messed with. It's like Bach vs boogie-woogie. Yo Yo Ma does not improvise. Start down that path and you're doomed, DOOMED!

Learn a piece's harmonic structure i.e. its named chords, its progression. Play those chords in various positions whilst working the melody in. Now transpose to a dissimilar key and try again. Repeat with another song, and another. You'll quickly see the logic of the progressions, and also gain facility with playing all over the fretboard. Now hook up with guys named Lester and Earl and you'll be famous! (Okay, that may take a while...)
    Thanks for the feedback. My teacher knows theory, chords etc. but she is a strict classisist and is horrified by improvisation. Her primary focus is on technique and sticking strictly to the written music. I'm interested in playing blues mandolin ala Rich DelGrosso and knowing chords would be helpful with improv. I have Rich's book and that triggered my desire to learn chords. I can read music and am considered an intermediate classical player.

It sounds as if you need to start off again at grass roots level. You've got the book,which i assume gives the 'key signature' to each tune - does it show the chords for the tunes ?. Without knowing what the book contains,it's hard to give proper advice,but when i taught myself to play banjo,guitar & mandolin,in that order,all i did was to listen to recordings of the tunes i wanted to play,figure out what key they were in,& then work out the chords,knowing that usually, most tunes have the basic '3-chord trick' + a few others thrown into the mix. I'll also be brutally honest about it,but if your teacher won't teach you what you want to know,unless there's other stuff that you need to know that she can teach - quit taking lessons & teach yourself. I had a similar problem on banjo. I was learning 'Classic' finger style banjo from a teacher,but he insisted that i learn to play 'Plectrum style' - i quit. I taught myself to play by ear from recordings, & 3 years later had a band together that was good enough to open for Bill Monroe & his band when they came over to the UK in 1966. I only mention that to show what you can do if you put your mind to it. Buy a really good chord book. The one i use is the ''Gigbag Book Of Mandolin Chords'' - over a 1000 chords,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin chord book.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	136865
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

It sounds to me like you and your teacher are not after the same thing(s).

I'd suggest buying "Mandolin for Dummies", and spending a week or 2 going through some of the book. After that exposure, sit down and decide if you need a new teacher.

GOOD LUCK!

Blog Entries

I alway recommend reading this free book BUILD ANY CHORD, ANYWHERE! by Frank Geiger
    http://www.calgaryuke.com/ukerichard...nstruments.pdf

It's got all you need to get going but also guides you how to build the more complex chords too once you're up and running.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beanzy For This Useful Post:

I would start by listening to the music you want to learn, then any of the above books will be helpful. You already know how to read and listen to music but classical is very rigid whereas blues and Bluegrass, and jazz can seem very "in the moment" but that's where you need to know the chords and progressions in order to play over them.

You don't have to memorize all the chords at first just a few keys. With listening and training I don't think it would take you long at all and yes....you will need a new teacher for this since she is not interested in teaching this style. Many teach via Skype now, I would check some out and take a few lessons and see how it goes..

Google pick losers guide to double stops it is free. Read it carefully, profit.

21. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post:

gtani7 

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JWalterWeatherman View Post
    Yes.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I can read music and am considered an intermediate classical player.
    Sorry dj. Hopefully I didn't insult you with a beginner's book. I am a beginner .

Quote Originally Posted by JWalterWeatherman View Post
    Thanks. Looks useful!

Here's the link to the PDF since I had a little trouble finding it.
    My Music
    My Twitter
    ––
    2015 Big Muddy M-2
    Sweet Woods mountain dulcimer

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to objectsession For This Useful Post:

Mike Bloder
    Hogan F-5
    Northfield NF-F5S

Quote Originally Posted by k0k0peli View Post
    Chords are dangerous. Once you know a tune's chords, you can improvise -- oh, the horror! -- and otherwise mess with the piece.
    Which is a whole lot of fun...
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by objectsession View Post
    Thanks. Looks useful!

Here's the link to the PDF since I had a little trouble finding it.
    It is one of the most useful ways of organizing and learning double stops I have ever seen.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

It also breaks down the chords to relative notes and e plains their position relative to other chord tones as well as relative to other chord notes in the same key. Once you've mastered this you can create chords based on your preference of voicing/ location of neck.

30. The following members say thank you to Josh Levine for this post: