Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another crazy SUPERTONE, and THANK YOU Mandolin Cafe

Default Re: Another crazy SUPERTONE, and THANK YOU Mandolin Cafe

Skygazer, mine came with Thomastik Light Flatwounds (9-32) on it. They are pretty darn impressive, as many on the site have noted. I never would have bought them on my own, but they're supposedly good for a year, so if you amortize that, it's a pretty good price! They're also a treat to slide around on.

I may never go back to the same old old bronze-wound sets.

Okay, you guys are inspiring me. I had been "lusting" after a mandolin in the window of a pawn shop near here for about 18(?!?) years. Never "pulled the trigger." I also play guitar and violin (self-taught for both) and this week I noticed the mandolin is gone. So I have been reading all I can on this site, and am now going to look around e-bay and the vendors on this site and buy my first mandolin. I know I won't be happy with a really low-end, but am looking in the $200-$300 range (could go a little more for the right instrument.) I am going to do it!

Welcome to the Cafe. Your first mandolin won't be your last.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    Okay, you guys are inspiring me. I had been "lusting" after a mandolin in the window of a pawn shop near here for about 18(?!?) years. Never "pulled the trigger." I also play guitar and violin (self-taught for both) and this week I noticed the mandolin is gone. So I have been reading all I can on this site, and am now going to look around e-bay and the vendors on this site and buy my first mandolin. I know I won't be happy with a really low-end, but am looking in the $200-$300 range (could go a little more for the right instrument.) I am going to do it!
    Hi Lady, don't overlook Craig's List if you have it in your area. Local bargains (or not) close enough to play the instrument. That's how I found mine. You have a "leg up" with your violin knowledge, tuned the same. I'm on a tablet so I'll keep it short.