Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elderly Custom Martin Tenors

Default Elderly Custom Martin Tenors

The new Elderly Instruments custom Martin tenors are finally in (after being listed in the most recent catalog, but not making it to the website). I bought one yesterday and am awaiting its arrival later in the week.

NFI, but here's the link.

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/TEN515.htm
    Last edited by Michael Eck; Jul-29-2015 at 9:05am. Reason: mistyping
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Michael Eck For This Useful Post:

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Elderly Custom Martin Tenors

Nice!
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

They really did that one right. It looks great.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Blog Entries

Those tuners are gorgeous.
    The Elderly stamp on the back is classy.
    Very nice!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Looks great but quite small?

Why in the world did they have to use Sipo? I had never heard of it, I had to google it. Found out it's from west Africa, same genus as sapele, but a different species. Why couldn't they have just used sapele, which is more common and accepted by the guitar community? Or better yet, at that price, true mahogany?
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I'm sure they are looking for a new source of sustainable tone woods. It's like Mahogany. Probably half the mahogany guitars ever made weren't made with real mahogany. Similar to all those maple bodied mandolins made by Gibson that weren't made of maple. It's pricey but it looks great.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

That's really cool. I was curious about the 'sipo' thing, too- I suppose if these sell they might do a set with spruce or cedar tops?

This looks good! If I hadn't recently purchased a vintage Gibson tenor, I'd consider this one.

I had never heard of Sipo before, but I must say that the wood on the guitar in these pics looks more like Mahogany than Sapele does IMHO. I don't know about the sound, but they must have thought about it before building a batch, so I wouldn't be too worried.

On a size 5 all "mahogany" style, I think I would have preferred the smaller rectangular bridge like they used to have on 5-15T and 5-17T, and even 0-17T.

Ok, so I did more research on Sipo. I'm ok with it now. I hadn't heard of it. Apparently it is considered a "true mahogany", being a part of the mahogany family. By the same standard, sapele and Khaya are both true mahoganies also, along with 40 some odd other species. "Genuine" mahogany refers only to what we know as Hondouran mahogany. Kind of splitting hairs between "genuine" and "true", but I'm sure it's a good tone wood or they would not have used it. I would love to try one! Might be going to Elderly soon!
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I for one love the look of the Sipo... much more like the mahogany on the original 17s than Sapele to my eye. I'd be very interested to hear reviews of the sonic qualities.

Looks nice. I have played a few vintage style five tenors and they were sweet. They sound brighter and punchier then an O-18T.

I wonder if they are using the original moulds to build these.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

For anyone wanting to compare it in shape or size Mandolin Bros. has this one for sale.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

That looks, nice, Mike. I've got a '46 0-18T and may retire it from gigging if this 5-15T works out.
    2016 Weber Octar

I received that same email from Elderly..........I like that tenor.........a lot!
    Scott

Tenor Guitars, 1959 Martin 5-15T, 2007 Fletcher Tenor tuned cgda, Blueridge BR-70T
    Mandolins, Jacobson Nautilus #15, 2013 Eastman MD305, 2002 Weber Aspen
    Banjo, 1925 Oriole "by Gibson" Tenor Banjo

Registered User michaeloceanmoon's Avatar

Hey everyone, I'm new here so no pic yet. My tenor is a Regal from the 20's, 21" scale length with the Regal crown tailpiece which is very nice. I am hankering for another tenor so I can have a larger voice and different tuning options. I played a Richard Hamilton 12 fret at the Tenor guitar festival and I loved it, it had the low G tuning, very cool. I was looking through the Mandolin Cafe to ask about anyone's experience with the Artwood parlor 12 fret Tenor, because it's so like the Regal excep larger and the Hamilton too with the 12 fret body. That's when I saw this thread about the new Elderly Martin 5 Tenor! Wow! I can't afford one , but this would be a phenomenal upgrade for me to work towards. Has anyone played this small body reissue yet? How's the volume? Any experience with this body size from a vintage standpoint. It's maybe just a half inch bigger all the way around from my Regal and 3/4" deeper as well, it's also a 14 fret. What are your thoughts for this instrument tuned to low G? Any other experience to share. Thank you.
    Maybe I just attached a pic of my Regal?
    Attachment 137027

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Hi Michael, if you cant afford a Martin go for a Blueridge!
    I own lots of tenor guitars, one is an expensive custom but to be honest the Blueridge is such an easy & great sounding guitar regardless of cost!

Very interested to hear a report from the OP about this new Matin custom tenor, assuming that it has now been shipped and received. I would be especially interested in hearing how it compares to the Blueridge, if possible. I am very happy with my Blueridge, but that doesn't mean I couldn't get happier. Just a bump up in tone quality and playability (most particularly, action) would do it for me. My head was definitely turned by the Collings tenor, but ouch-the pricetag! This new Martin sounds like a reasonable in-between price, if it would give me that little extra for which I pine. (Fwiw, I'm a GDAE tuner).

OK. Here’s a report. It’s a size 5, so it’s not a roaring box, but it’s relatively loud considering its size. The build quality and attention to detail is typically Martin, although it is quite pricey.

I’ve got it tuned GDAE, with a standard set from Pearse.

This is a mahogany box, so the sound is very different from a spruce Blueridge, as someone asked. A Blueridge would be much more similar to Martin 0-18T.

I haven’t had a chance to gig with the 5-15T yet, but we did record a rehearsal yesterday and as of that experience, I am definitely keeping the new guitar. Like many mahogany-topped instruments, it records well and cuts through the mix because of its midrange focus. When I play the 0-18T in our duo, it sounds too much like another guitar and blends in indistinctly. The 5-15T speaks more clearly.

I do believe I will use it for some solo work, too, accompanying myself on old folk songs.

Expensive, but a good instrument and typically great service from Elderly.
    2016 Weber Octar

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Michael Eck For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I might have to scoot over to Elderly on Monday and plunk around on one just for fun (I sure cannot afford one )
    =============================
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    =============================
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

Thanks for the reply. I'm especially interested that you have yours tuned to low G for recording. That's a good sign. And I like that you refer to it as Mahogany. Elderly said they couldn't yet answer why the Sipo. It's interesting because the recent Seth Lakeman model was Mahogany. Anyway,..

The Ibanez Artwood tenor has been recommended to me if I go for a lower price tag. Any experience to share?

Please link us to the recordings or soundclips. I wish I could put one of the 5-15ts in my hands then I would know if I should be financing.

One last question. Since this new model is more expensive than some very nice vintage 5-15ts to be found, what factors went into your decision to go with the new release over a nice quality old timer?

Thanks!

Michaeloceanmoon,

The reason I opted for the a new instrument rather than a vintage piece has to do with utility. The vintage pieces often sound magnificient, but they rarely play well on a consistent basis. I traded a 1929 Gibson TG for a 1946 Martin 0-18T. Both sound lovely. The Gibson wouldn't hold tune. The Martin, which I still have, is hinky up the neck, requiring not just tweaking with a capo, but full retuning.

I like the fact that the 5-15T has a truss rod, plain and simple. If I can't gig with a box, I don't need it.

It's currently with my favorite shop—Parkway Music—getting a setup to settle in with the lower GDAE tuning.
    2016 Weber Octar

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Eck For This Useful Post:

Thanks M Eck, I'm looking at some on eBay and wondering what may be in each ones box of chocolates for maybe spending half up front. I took the chance with my Regal, but that was less than a $200 initial investment. I'm definitely wanting a workhorse of an instrument and not just a museum piece as well. The lack of a truss rod makes for more fussing over intonation in different temperatures etc.? And the technical term " 'hinky up the neck', does that mean that an instruments intonation changes at different points up the neck or that the intonation changes with the use of a capo? If/when I decide on the 2015, may I ask what set up changes you are having done for the low G tuning? If you come through Portland. Or., any time , I'll buy you lunch or some beers if you let me try your Sipo 5-15t. Thanks for all the help.

PS: I have Brooklyn roots, so I'll check in with the Jugstompers about any shows when I'm visiting home. Thanks again

Yes, the intonation on the 0-18T gets a little funny up the neck and much more pronounced with a capo. I use the tenors mostly for chordal accompaniment, rather than playing tunes.
    2016 Weber Octar

>> Just a bump up in tone quality and playability (most particularly, action) would do it for me.<<

Get a good setup. There's no reason why the action and playability can't rival a much more expensive instrument.

29. The following members say thank you to bruce.b for this post: