Thread: Motown on mandolin

Default Motown on mandolin

I was a teenager when Motown was in but I was wondering if any mandolin music has been used in the present day for those great pieces of music , I was remembering the great Bass and steal guitar , but the questions is , has mandolin been used to play Motown in present day ?
    steven shelton

Blog Entries

Default Re: Motown on mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmando View Post
    I was a teenager when Motown was in but I was wondering if any mandolin music has been used in the present day for those great pieces of music , I was remembering the great Bass and steal guitar , but the questions is , has mandolin been used to play Motown in present day ?
    Don't know of any use of mandolin in Motown, though I'm sure it has at some point.

Here's my arrangement of Stevie Wonder's Sir Duke

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JimRichter For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I think it's much, much, much more likely that Motown has been and still gets played on mandolin than the other way around. I think one came up in last night's pickup band, backing the local Dead Head queen, though the night's a blur ...

I've done "My Girl" plenty of times over the years, and a few others. I don't see any reason a mandolin doesn't work on them. It's a very versatile instrument, more so than a lot of people, even its players, give it credit for. But I don't recall it being used in any Motown recordings. It just doesn't seem to fit into "the Motown Sound," which was built on bass, drums, guitars, organ, piano, horns, and string arrangements. Now and then something else would get used, like bassoon and flute on "Tears Of A Clown," but that's almost a novelty tune as a result. People are a bit more clued-in about the instrument's capabilities now than fifty years ago, though it still lags behind where it could be.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

lost in the woods below Lake Tahoe, California

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I've done "My Girl" plenty of times over the years, and a few others.
    Funny, as soon as I saw the thread title, I reached for my Coileman to play MY GIRL. We must be of an age. Now I'll have to go drag out my old MOTOWN SONGBOOK. I know it's back there somewhere... But no, I don't think mandos were part of the Motown Sound. I saw a documentary about the players some time back and I don't recall any mandos in the mob.
    Mandos: Coleman & Soviet ovals; Kay & Rogue A5's; Harmonia F2 & mandola
    Ukuleles: 3 okay tenors; 3 cheap sopranos; Harmonia concert & baritone
    Banjos: Gretsch banjolin; Varsity banjolele; Orlando 5-string; fretless & fretted Cümbüs o'uds
    Acoustic guitars: Martin Backpacker; Ibanez Performance; Art et Lutherie; Academy dobro; Ovation 12-string
    Others: Maffick & First Act dulcimers; Mexican cuatro-menor; Puerto Rican cuatro; Martin tiple; electrics
    Wanted: charango; balalaika; bowlback mando

I have always been open to possibilities when it comes to music and the mandolin , some times I can hear a piece of music and grapple with the idea of that song and tweak it a bit to fit the range of the mandolin but sadly some times it dilutes the music ,some songs were meant to have that bass and drums and everything that makes the Motown sound but sometime you come across a tune like Stevie Wonder sir Duke and that sounded great and exciting when play by Jim Richter
    steven shelton

Run C&W comes to mind. A novelty bluegrass inspired type of band with some very good players. Heavier on the banjo, but I believe there is a mandolin on some of the tracks.

Last edited by Austin Bob; Aug-03-2015 at 11:46am.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Austin Bob For This Useful Post:

Well if someone hadn't already done it--it would happen eventually--and it's cool.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

I prefer STAX on mandolin. We do a cover of "In the midnight hour" and the backbeats Steve Cropper played on his Tele work really well as mandolin chops.

11. The following members say thank you to crisscross for this post:

Blog Entries

Worked up "Dock Of The Bay" last week for a pick-up gig. Fun to play the whistling part at the end. Also fun to enlighten the singer about the VI chord, that it's major, not the usual minor. Good old soul music!

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Interestingly though, the beach boys used mandolin around the same time Motown didn't use it.

I think in part there are some social issues that prevent its use in Motown but mainly I think it's that it was a 'country' instrument (despite its use in jazz) and Motown was solidly urban.

Blog Entries

Yes, I'm sure mandolin wasn't on Berry Gordy's radar. Heck, in the 1960s it wasn't on anybody's radar outside of country and bluegrass. I'm not sure what you mean about its use in jazz, either, other than Jethro Burns, again hardly a blip on the general public's radar screen. The first instances I can recall of mandolin being used in rock music are The Rolling Stone's "Love In Vain" (thank you, Ry Cooder) and The Band, on a few occasions, notably "Rag Mama Rag." These were both in 1968. Fairport Convention and Steeleye Span may well have used it some; I'll have to check, or someone will ring in. Rod Stewart and Seals And Crofts came along in the early 1970s.

The Beach Boys used mandolin? Really???

Quote Originally Posted by /QUOTE View Post
    Yes, I'm sure mandolin wasn't on Berry Gordy's radar. Heck, in the 1960s it wasn't on anybody's radar outside of country and bluegrass. I'm not sure what you mean about its use in jazz, either, other than Jethro Burns, again hardly a blip on the general public's radar screen.
    Yes but if I'd ignored jethro, I'd be flayed alive

The first instances I can recall of mandolin being used in rock music are The Rolling Stone's "Love In Vain" (thank you, Ry Cooder) and The Band, on a few occasions, notably "Rag Mama Rag." These were both in 1968. Fairport Convention and Steeleye Span may well have used it some; I'll have to check, or someone will ring in. Rod Stewart and Seals And Crofts came along in the early 1970s. The Beach Boys used mandolin? Really??? [/QUOTE]

Two of them on 'Wouldn't it be nice'.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    Yes but if I'd ignored jethro, I'd be flayed alive The first instances I can recall of mandolin being used in rock music are The Rolling Stone's "Love In Vain" (thank you, Ry Cooder) and The Band, on a few occasions, notably "Rag Mama Rag." These were both in 1968. Fairport Convention and Steeleye Span may well have used it some; I'll have to check, or someone will ring in. Rod Stewart and Seals And Crofts came along in the early 1970s. The Beach Boys used mandolin? Really???
    Two of them on 'Wouldn't it be nice'. An eight string and a 12 string.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Blog Entries

Whoa! Apparently so.

And also, this has come up before hereabouts. No big surprise - we don't let much slip past us! I agree with this assessment, though, which is why it never occurred to me it was a mandolin. Or two mandolins, if you really want to count a 12-string half-neck as a mandolin. There is an awful lot of reverb on that, which makes it sound more like a harp. Also the doubling and cross-picking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Kessler View Post
    I've never thought that the intro to "Wouldn't It Be Nice" was played on any fretted instrument. It sounds more like a harp to me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Barney Kessel 12 String.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	137100

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Don't forget, Sam and Dave by Sam and Dave.

'Hold on I'm Strumming' http://mandolinmagazine.com/reviews/grisman_bush.html

19. The following members say thank you to M.Marmot for this post:

That I would like to hear.

Blog Entries

Wha? Whoa! Me too! Wish there were a little more soul music on it ... maybe ...