Thread: Jiri Lebeda Instruments

Default Jiri Lebeda Instruments

Hi,

I was playing my Lebeda Jazz 5 today and got to thinking if anyone had heard anymore about Jiri recently. Mine was made in 2004 and he seemed to "disappear" shortly after.

There was talk that he had taken a break to regroup his operations, but was starting to build instruments again a year or so ago, but I've never seen any new instruments being played. Anyone got any further news. He certainly made exceptional instruments that I thought were good value?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	188.3 KB 
ID:	136715

Regards

Blog Entries

Default Re: Jiri Lebeda Instruments

Oh oh. Is the first sign of a recurrence of MAS?
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Mandrian -Jiri is still building instruments & i actually placed an ad.on his behalf in the Classified ads.last year. Jiri got divorced a few years ago & moved house. As i said,he's still building by himself,but almost 'only to order' - he may still have this one to sell. He built 2 with very old top wood,sold one & i placed an ad.for the other. If you ever wish to contact Jiri - PM/e-mail me & i'll pass his e-mail address on. He's always pleased to hear from owners of his mandolins & i'm sure that if he lived in the US,there would be a lot more of them,
    Ivan
    136728[/ATTACH] 136729[/ATTACH]
    The mandolin in the case is my own 2001 Lebeda "Special" - What the he**'s the Attach Config. thing going on ?????.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014 Lebeda Fern.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	136728   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leb.3.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	312.6 KB 
ID:	136729  
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

4. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

This Lebeda is one of the nicest mandolins I've played....http://www.outlawmusicguitarshop.com/used/used.html

Interesting take on a "lump scroll".

7. The following members say thank you to Boge Quinn for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mandrian View Post
    Hi,

I was playing my Lebeda Jazz 5 today and got to thinking if anyone had heard anymore about Jiri recently. Mine was made in 2004 and he seemed to "disappear" shortly after.

There was talk that he had taken a break to regroup his operations, but was starting to build instruments again a year or so ago, but I've never seen any new instruments being played. Anyone got any further news. He certainly made exceptional instruments that I thought were good value?

Regards
    I'd been to his house to buy a mandolin a few years back. His mandolins are built by a network of lutheriers with Jiri acting as the hub and assembly guy. That's probably an oversimplification but that's basically how explained his business to me.

If I can dig up his phone number I'll give him a call and ask what he's up to and report back.

That used to be the way Jiri had his mandolins built. All the builders were violin makers by trade. Jiri did put a lot of work into making sure that his mandolins were built to the highest standards. The 2 that i've had (i still have the 'Special' that Jiri himself built) were immaculate re. the workmanship.
    These days,Jiri is building by himself,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.