Thread: Nickel strings on acoustics?

Default Nickel strings on acoustics?

I got an old archtop that came with (I think) nickel strings; it's got a certain 'authentic' sound I like for '30s music. Has anybody written about typical string varieties through the decades and how they changed over time? It seems like we're in a bronze monoculture for acoustics right now.

Default Re: Nickel strings on acoustics?

While most people prefer phosphor bronze strings, I actually prefer to use stainless steel strings on all of my mandolins. It gives it a much more metallic sound on the open strings that I've come to prefer. I originally started using them because I felt they gave my G strings a much bigger sound, closer to how Sam Bush sounds when he strums an open G. I've used nickel strings too, but I felt they didn't last as long as the stainless steel. Phosphor Bronze is the norm, and people who play traditional music try not to stray too far from the herd. But if it sounds good to you, go for it!
    "I'd think learning to play the guitar would be very confusing for sighted people."
    -Doc Watson

"All music is folk music. I ain't never heard a horse sing a song."
    -Louis Armstrong

Bush uses Monel rather than straight nickel. PB didn't come along until the 70s, so vintage instruments used to sport variations on nickel and steel. I run Monel and sometimes nickel on just about all my instruments now. You get less acoustic bloom. That bloom is very pleasant and most prefer it. Monel, et. al. offer a stronger fundamental and fewer overtones. Many use the term woody to describe the tone it draws from an instrument. YMMV.
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck

I love D'Add Nickels on my acoustic D18 style guitar. They sound more woody, a little bit mellow, and I hear more of the instrument sound, less the sound of the string, if those descriptions make any sense.

I have used both Nickels and the SB Monels on my mandos, and don't care for them as much as on my guitar.

If you're looking to try something different, or for a different sound, give them a try. It's a cheap experiment.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Timeline wise, Gibson Mona steel , monel wound is older than Sam.
    G-161ML is the same set minus the endorsement portrait.
    the last ones I used were those ..

modern nickel winding wire typically has some Iron in it for magnetic pickups.
    Have a light Nickel wound on my Hodson D'Jangolin, [IDK what Newtone's alloy is]

Mine sweepers in WW2 were using iron poor alloys since they were made to disable magnetic mines.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Eck View Post
    Bush uses Monel rather than straight nickel. PB didn't come along until the 70s, so vintage instruments used to sport variations on nickel and steel...
    That's interesting, I had no idea. Were any other bronze alloys in regular use? Was 80/20 before PB or a later development? I'm sort of surprised the Authenticity Police aren't all over this one. So, if you listen to a Dylan record from the '60s, that's nickel and steel on the guitar?

Edit: didn't realize that Martin had a string devoted to exactly this: https://www.martinguitar.com/acousti...283-retro.html

I restrung my old tenor archtop with nickel tenor banjo strings, results are good. Do you think nickel/steel/monel sacrifices volume?

Replying to myself, for the benefit of anybody in the future who reads this thread; this guy's blog post is really informative:

http://www.campusfive.com/swingguita...ng-guitar.html