Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: What's the weirdest MUSICAL thing you've ever done?

Default Re: What's the weirdest MUSICAL thing you've ever done?

Our little bluegrass trio once managed to get a gig at a topless bar, The Pirate's Chest in Oceanview. The girls would perform to juke box music for 40 minutes and then we'd take the runway for 20 minutes, me on banjo the other two guitar and bass, from 8:00 o'clock to eleven. Audience loved us. Owner said he could no longer afford to continue paying us so gig over. I miss that gig.

The weirdest MUSICAL thing that I HAVEN"T done: many years ago, a lady approached us during a break and asked if we would play naked. It seems that her swinger's club was interested in having music at one of their get-togethers. We said yes, but never heard back, alas!

We used to play at a place that had strippers during the week and dancing on weekends. I had to set up my drumset around the pole, which I also played on with my drum sticks.

When I was in high school, a local strip joint had a drummer that played along with the juke box for the dancers. Interesting gig!

Blog Entries

A few years back I took my electric mandolin, a four string MandoStrat, out to the park. Under a pavilion I played the gigue from [COLOR=var(--ytd-video-primary-info-renderer-title-color, var(--yt-spec-text-primary))]Victor Kioulaphides Suite for Ali, through the amp, and a heavy metal fuzz pedal, and an octave pedal. [/COLOR]

Hey it was more interesting than loud angry fiddle tunes.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    ... I've long wanted a zheng. If/when you're done exploring with it - I've got a bunch of CBOM gear I'll trade you for it ..
    Well, 3-4 years ago i did trade for the guzheng and subsequently undertook study of trad chinese music. Compared with western forms, I guess it is a bit weird. Here's an old clip

Quote Originally Posted by JL277z View Post
    I once put a mandolin under my chin and then used my fiddle bow to bow the mandolin. LOVED the sound, at that time the sound reminded me a little of Scandinavian nyckelharpa, kind of open and haunting sounding.

If you're not familiar with nyckelharpa, here's one from someone else's YouTube page:

Another "weird" thing I did is go all in for hardingfele and Scandinavian music (adapting to playing fiddle on my chest/cradled in the crook of my arm in the traditional manner was weird feeling at first )

Great replies in this thread! Thanks everyone!

I don't actually do anything I think of as weird musically, but I will offer this. I play my mandolin for feral cats. My wife is heavily involved in trap/neuter/return (TNR) of feral cats and when she has feral cats who are especially scared, I play for them. I play quiet, soothing music near where they are being held. The effect is remarkable; really calms them. It's a real treat to observe.

I also like to play in one of my sheep barns for the barn cats who live there, especially on winter mornings when the sun is streaming in and they are having their breakfast. They seem to like it. No reaction at all from the sheep though.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

I love that, Bob! You should post some videos! I also love your tagline - I have a sign in my kitchen that says the same thing.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

8. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post:

Back in the '70's we played a bluegrass festival outside of Tallahassee, FL. It had rained for days and the place was a mud hole....we named it the Mud and Geek Festival. Anyway, one of the bands had an American Indian leader who played a seven string Martin D 28. That's right, a seven string D 28. He had added a tuning peg in the middle of the headstock. It was weird to say the least.

Yes and animals seem to like that "spark" or gleam of steel strings in motion - that jl277 is talking about .. they probably like it more than me, and I love it birds too seem to like metal reed resonances. Ha humans certainly sometines do emulate birds with any type of reed. This is the thing with mndlns and hardingfele and harps and horns..! Listening to the new david s ware release -

Strung up a 3 story building from basement to ceiling with aluminum wires for an
    art school project. Through the stair well. Played it with a big home made bow strung
    with fishing line. It sounded strange and frightening.

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    I love that, Bob! You should post some videos! I also love your tagline - I have a sign in my kitchen that says the same thing.

bratsche
    Thanks Bratsche! If I can figure out a way to video this, I will give it a try. I should at least be able to get some pictures. I'll let you know.

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

In the Spring of 1989, I was in my 4th year at university in California and traveled to Leningrad for a semester to study Russian (my major.) This was the last year of the Soviet Union and Gorbachev and glasnost were in full swing, but still, it was the Soviet Union. One did not step too far out of line if one wanted to avoid trouble. Trouble not from the government but from the little old ladies who wielded (and still wield) great power across Russia.

Of course, I had brought my mandolin.

There was another American in our group who had brought his guitar and we’d jam in our dormitory rooms periodically. A few other people in our group - Americans and assorted Europeans - started to join us to sing classic rock tunes.

One Friday after classes, our group decided to take a commuter train to the suburbs of Leningrad for the weekend to stay at a Russian friend’s summer home (his dacha.) This was illegal as foreign visitors to the Soviet Union were required to spend every night in the location where they had registered with the police. Of course, I took my mandolin and the other guy took his guitar. When we all arrived at the train station, we found out we’d missed the train we needed and had an hour or so to kill.

“Hey, let’s go play some tunes in the station!”

So we walk into the waiting area, took out our instruments and launched into John Barleycorn in front of hundreds of bewildered Soviet commuters. All culture in the Soviet Union was heavily controlled by the government, especially pop music, and there was a good likelihood that the police would show up. It’s possible they did but realizing we were foreigners, may have been confused as to what to do. Back then dealing with foreigners was the responsibility of the KGB.

In any event, we played for like 20 minutes. No one clapped. Everyone looked nervous, expecting the authorities to show up.

A few months later, the Soviet Union collapsed. Today people busk all over Russia. I like to think my mandolin and I played a small part in that. :-)

14. The following members say thank you to Jonathan K for this post: