Thread: ktm-9

Default ktm-9

I saw today that lmi has discontinued the water based ktm-9 due to a fire at the factory. any suggestions on a replacement. thanks
    buy your kid a mandolin

Default Re: ktm-9

EM-6000 from Target Coatings.

Totally thought this was a motorcycle post.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to allowishish For This Useful Post:

After extensive testing, I have gone with Target's EM2000 and their waterborne shellac as a sealer. So have the Girouards and others.
    Rolfe Gerhardt

Whoops, Rolfe is right. I meant EM6000. I guess that's what happens when you are bored sitting at the airport waiting on delayed flights! DOH!!

Uhh, I think you still have it wrong??
    Richard Hutchings

8. The following members say thank you to Dick Hutchings for this post:

I've used EM6000 on several builds and I've decided to switch to Target's EM2000 and their waterborne shellac as a sealer or try and finish up the 1000 sealer I still have. The 6000 would leave a blueish haze in the sunlight especially over dark stains. A thin coating on an unstained finish worked best.
    I just haven't found anyone really liking the blue haze as yet.

Double DOH!!!!! EM2000. I wish I could blame it on jet lag, but it was only a three hour flight. As my Dad used to say, "I need to go back to work to rest up." That, and check what I've typed.

It's too bad folks can't appreciate a nice bluish haze. I see nothing wrong with it. Heck I may make a blue mandolin some day.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTimmons View Post
    I've used EM6000 on several builds and I've decided to switch to Target's EM2000 and their waterborne shellac as a sealer or try and finish up the 1000 sealer I still have. The 6000 would leave a blueish haze in the sunlight especially over dark stains. A thin coating on an unstained finish worked best.
    I just haven't found anyone really liking the blue haze as yet.
    Richard Hutchings

I think that's a great idea.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dale Ludewig For This Useful Post:

No love for bluish haze, but if it was PURPLE haze, all in my brain, lately things don't seem the same. Actin' funny, but I don't know why, 'scuse me while I kiss the sky! Well, that would be ok, wouldn't it?
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

15. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Had a feeling that was coming.
    Richard Hutchings

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Target Coatings EM2000 for me too. Have been using it for quite a few years. Have tried everything I can get my hands on, but nothing has worked as well as EM2000. Is a PITA for me to get, so there has been a strong incentive to find something else but I have failed. I noticed that KTM SV has also been discontinued.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Anybody tried one of those new KTM's? (I mean the other one's, Don)

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

I just picked up 400cc of KTM yesterday..I think it will be enough to last me for a while.. really tho, I've been using the Target EM 6000 with EM 1000 sealer.. Works great for me but does have the blue ish tint on dark colors.. I've thought about switching to the 2000.. How does spray,build, etc compared to the 6000?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	136430

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MANNDOLINS For This Useful Post:

well I bought the em6000 satin. brushed some on an old uke. seems like some good stuff. I saw a blue tint when I dipped the brush in it but I can't really see a blue haze in the finish. i'll use some of this up then might try the 2000. thanks.
    buy your kid a mandolin

I didn't try EM6000 because it contains too much acrylic, causing the bluish haze, so I can't compare with EM2000. I have found that every waterborne has its own quirks and application needs, so there is always a learning curve. For instance, EM2000 likes a very smooth base and otherwise looks lousy until level sanded after six or more coats. Then the next couple of coats go on like glass. And the solid contents seem less than some, so the full build might need an extra coat or two, and drop-fills more applications. Eventually, I'll work out application instructions and be glad to share them with everyone.
    Rolfe Gerhardt

23. The following members say thank you to Rolfe for this post:

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Yes that is pretty much what I do. Very smooth base, 5 coats brushed on, level sand, then 4 or 5 coats to finish. Buff after 5 days, or French polish. After the first 5 coats it looks like slapped on marine varnish, and maybe that is why not many luthiers are using it. Now that Rolf is using it that might change. After the level sanding it looks more like an instrument finish. With time it will darken to a light amber colour which gives the instrument a nice warm glow that I really like. Works well on guitars also. It is softer and more flexible than nitro, dents rather than chips or scratches, and is not sticky like nitro can be. I have had some good comments from people about my guitar finish, and that was amongst some mirror finished nitro guitars so was unexpected. My best sounding guitars are all finished with EM2000, and I think it does impart a warmer "looser" sort of sound to the guitars in comparison to nitro, but the difference is fairly subtle. Is a great pity Stew Mac dropped EM2000. My complaints fell on deaf ears.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com