Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brentrup V-8

Default Brentrup V-8

Hi I'm searching for the owner of this Brentrup v-8.
    I would love to even just talk to them about their mandolin.
    I think Hans is one of the most talented mandolin builders.
    He gets something to happen in the box that I've never heard in
    any other mandolin. He's not building anymore, but if he was I'd
    have him make me one of these in a Mando-sec. How many of these
    did he build? If the owner reads this feel free to private message me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	136252

Thanks,
    D

Default Re: Brentrup V-8

My correction, it's a eclipse V6.
    I'd link to hear from anyone with any kind of eclipse anyhow...
    Post a pic of your eclipse or something.
    I'd love this prototype eclipse if anyone knows
    what became of it.

Views:	262 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	136267

There is a Bentrup owners group here on the Cafe......

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=266

Fellow Cafe member Larry Sherman has a Bentrup registry he has compiled, he may be of help.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

That one originally belonged to Ken Olmstead in Alaska. He traded it with Acoustic Music Works. I don't know who they sold it to. I would talk to Manfred Hacker, in my opinion his is a little nicer and it's a little different. A super nice mando...

Gus, my mandolin is a Stealth and not an Eclipse. And so was Ken Olmstead's. In fact, the story he shared here triggered my desire to have the mandolin built I have had for four years now. As on the first day, it is still such a pleasure to pick up this mandolin every day and enjoy its sweet tone and playability.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manfred Hacker For This Useful Post:

My mistake! Yours is still the better mandolin in my opinion. You have great taste, I enjoy your playing and posted videos as well.

Ok so I'm unclear. Is it a V6 or a V8?
    All I know is aesthetically I wish I could order
    the exact mandolin I posted above. Everything about it is perfect.

...Well stop drooling, she is committed to another man...you also posted two different mandolins. Gail Hester is another great, right up there with Hans' in terms of their sound quality...Here is one that's more than perfect, and I think it may still be available...http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...luegrass+osage.

Hah I'm pretty sure every member on here drools over another members mandolin lol.
    I checked out the Hester, sounds cool.

11. The following members say thank you to Demetrius for this post:

OldGus 

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by officespace View Post
    I checked out the Hester, sounds cool.
    If you're interested in Gail's work, take a look at her social group: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=304 . It features lots of pictures and video clips of her mandolins in the hands of some of the best in the business (Statman, Steffey, Bibey, Brock, etc.).
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by OldGus View Post
    That one originally belonged to Ken Olmstead in Alaska. He traded it with Acoustic Music Works. I don't know who they sold it to. I would talk to Manfred Hacker, in my opinion his is a little nicer and it's a little different. A super nice mando...
    Ken traded it to Charlie Johnson at Vintage Mandolin/Mandolin World Headquarters. From there Massimo Gatti had it and then it was in the classifieds.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

14. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

OldGus 

Quote Originally Posted by OldGus View Post
    My mistake! Yours is still the better mandolin in my opinion. You have great taste, I enjoy your playing and posted videos as well.
    Gus, Thank you very much for your kind words.

For the droolers out there
    When I ordered my Stealth 6 years ago, I asked Hans to build a versatile mandolin with sustain rather than fast decaying tone.
    He recommended German spruce and red maple. The recipe (and his great skills) obviously worked.
    By the way, at that time I had not expected to ever be in a Bluegrass jam battling multiple banjos .....
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain

16. The following members say thank you to Manfred Hacker for this post:

OldGus 

Last time I was in touch with Hans he was building again. If you are really interested in one of his, contact him and see if he would build you what you want. I have an A4C that is not going anywhere away from me any time soon.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

On the UMGF (Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum) Hans announced that due to COPD he will quit building alltogether. This sounds really sad (check out: http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...#reply-1861021). I wish him all the best and hope he will do well. I was too short in money when I considered one of his instruments. I played a poor man´s Loar at TAMCO two years back. I liked it a lot. I played it back to back with a Heiden A5 and an Ellis F5 and an Ellis A5 that were equally impressive.

Hans was (is) a great builder.
    Olaf

Brentrup Evangelist Larry S Sherman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When Hans broke the news to me I was not surprised but I'm still kind of in shock and sad that there will be no more of these beautiful Brentrups after his last few are finished. I understand that it is for the best and I hope that he can focus on his health and family and be proud of his legacy.

Each instrument that he built was a work of art and I love every one that I have played or owned.

Larry

If you have one, hang on to it. I had a 2003 21V for sale on the Café (picture at the Brentrup Mandolin Registry, Italian Spruce top) at a very low price, no interest. So, I practically gave it away to an interested party. Oh well....
    John A. Karsemeyer

Hi Jak! I used to own the one you have as your profile pic.
    I sold it, and have regretted it everyday since. The only
    Good part about it is it went to someone who really deserves
    It cause they love it and treat it like no other, so that's what
    Keeps me sane, knowing this.
    I have a Dudenbostel, so that should say something about
    what kind of a mandolin the Brentrup is.
    I still think about it everyday.
    Last edited by Demetrius; Jul-18-2015 at 9:40am.

Quote Originally Posted by officespace View Post
    I have a Dudenbostel, so that should say something about
    what kind of a mandolin the Brentrup is.
    Someone on here was saying that a Hester compared nicely with a Dudenbostel.

I visited Hans a couple months ago. He had a very rough patch apparently but is doing better now. Unfortunately he needs to be done making instruments...at least for the time being. I am holding both MY Brentrup (a "Maestro" model, prototype, with one-piece rock maple back and red spruce top) and the last Brentrup in the white. Hans expressed to me that either he will finish it eventually or teach his wife to finish it.

While I'm sad he's no longer building, I'm grateful for the wonderful instruments he has built and especially for the one I'm taking care of. He's not only a great builder, he's a dang nice guy. If you know him, give him a call or go visit. He'll be grateful for the company.

Name:	Fred and Hans 2015.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	133.4 KB 
ID:	136460
    Last edited by Fred Keller; Jul-18-2015 at 10:52am.
    Lost on the trails of The Deep North

Oh wow, thanks for posting this...
    He is such a nice guy. That new f-5 looks incredible!

I don't visit the UMGF all that much so I missed this. I count myself among the very luck ones to have an A4C that I play practically every day. It is sad that Hans has to stop building and I wish him the very best. Here is what he posted in April of this year on UMGF:

Hi folks'

It's been a very long time since I have posted on this forum, but I have been getting some pretty bad news lately, A few of you may know that I have been battling COPD for over 15 years, I'm afraid that a very bad exacerbation that strarted in November has really set me back quite a bit, I'm afraid it is so advanced at this point, it makes no sense to continue building instruments. My wife and I have known this would be coming at some point, but were surprised at my last bout with a bad cold. I am afraid that I am on 4 liters of O2 and 6 liters when walking at a very slow pace. After much anguish, and a lot of grieving, we have come to the conclusion that the best situation for me is to quit building altogether. This has not been an easy decision, but there really is no other choice for me if I want to live a few more years.
    So, it is with an extremely heavy heart that say goodby to all the kind folks that expressed interest in my guitars and mandolins.
    After I sell off the shop and alll the wood I have accumulated over the years, we will likely hit the road for a time to further my photography hobby and give me a chance to reflect on my life. A book on building Larson and Stella guitars is also in the planning stages, so I will keep occupied.
    Thank you folks for all your kind words about my instruments,..
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Very nice! I played a Brentrup yesterday for about an hour and boy was it nice. Too bad I don't need another mandolin...right now anyways.....hmmmm.....

This eclipse prototype is mine

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrius View Post
    My correction, it's a eclipse V6.
    I'd link to hear from anyone with any kind of eclipse anyhow...
    Post a pic of your eclipse or something.
    I'd love this prototype eclipse if anyone knows
    what became of it.

Views:	262 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	136267
    I got to pick a couple tunes on this instrument, or it’s twin, last night. Sadly I had to hand it back.

That is the original Eclipse prototype. There were several changes made to the following builds. So, there isn't another one like it . I'm the original owner and really wish I had never sold it. That's my picture too.
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #57
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2017 Boeh F5 #27
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31
    2012 Grey Eagle 2-point #57V