Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Beatles for Solo Mandolin

Default Re: The Beatles for Solo Mandolin

Hi Everyone, Sorry, late to the discussion, but I just discovered the forum. I did the "Beatles for Solo Mandolin" arrangements and yes, they are chord/melody style arrangements. I had done the "Beatles for Jazz Guitar" book as well as a large number of note-for-note Beatles transcriptions for Hal Leonard and they asked me to do the Mandolin book. Hal Leonard sent the song list to me as well as a few books to model the arrangements after. I couldn't make them too advanced, but not too simple either, it's tricky to get right. And I agree, the "look inside" feature is the best, wish the sites would use it more.

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to blaf For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I'd just like to say that this book is great. I buy many books that get opened only occasionally but I use this one on a daily basis. I've been looking for chord melody arrangements for GDAE-tuned tenor banjo and octave mandolin for years and this is perfect, despite being labelled for mandolin. I find the arrangements challenging but rewarding. It takes me weeks to get certain tunes under my belt but I'm learning a lot on the way.
    Top marks to the author!

4. The following members say thank you to Mandocarver for this post:

JL277z 

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blaf View Post
    Hi Everyone, Sorry, late to the discussion, but I just discovered the forum. I did the "Beatles for Solo Mandolin" arrangements and yes, they are chord/melody style arrangements. I had done the "Beatles for Jazz Guitar" book as well as a large number of note-for-note Beatles transcriptions for Hal Leonard and they asked me to do the Mandolin book. Hal Leonard sent the song list to me as well as a few books to model the arrangements after. I couldn't make them too advanced, but not too simple either, it's tricky to get right. And I agree, the "look inside" feature is the best, wish the sites would use it more.
    A big thanks to Tommcgtx for the review on page one this thread, and to Bill LaFleur for taking time to register and comment.
    Technique, theory and fun, fun, fun. I love playing, studying and sharing MUSIC.
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN
    ------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Collings Mandolins | MandoCymru
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

6. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

This version is gorgeous!!!!!
    TKD Falcon F5

Hey Marc, just beautiful stuff - fantastic to listen and inspiring as a fellow player to hear and hope to emulate. If you have any more keep them coming.

I've ordered the book and look forwatd to giving it a try. I was initially put off by the one and only review it has on Amazon which is utterly damning. If you've found it to be a good product it might help the author if you leave him a positive comment to overcome what I'm sure will put other people off as it did me.
    Last edited by Darren Bailey; Oct-16-2015 at 3:03am.

If my dive into choro ends, I will pick this book back up and continue work on Blackbird. I really like what I see here, and look forward to tackling the songs when I do not have so much on my mandolin plate!

And I had to laugh at that review, "..most of which aren't compatible with the mandolin..." lol!
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Here's my Here Comes the Sun - I'd be curious to see some another take on this. I have Yesterday and Something as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Here Comes the Sun WITH TAB.pdf  
    Tim Connell
    Portland, Oregon
    www.timconnellmusic.com
    www.rioconbrio.net

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tim C. For This Useful Post:

Tim, thanks for sharing the sheet music, very generous. I visited your site to see how I might find others, and noticed that you had included an mp3 of this version in a blog post. Great resource. Sending PM.
    Technique, theory and fun, fun, fun. I love playing, studying and sharing MUSIC.
    ------------------------
    - YouTube Stuff

Had a go at Nowhwere Man - inspired by this new book. Rosie and Jim like it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjeayuJF__Y

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Darren Bailey For This Useful Post:

I received my copy the day before yesterday, and this evening found the time to leaf through the book. I had the sudden inspiration to try one of the arrangements on my tenor banjo tuned CGDA, but not wanting to disturb the silent night, I opted for my tenor Tele played over headphones. "Eight Days a Week" seems to work. https://soundcloud.com/tele1310/eight-days-a-week-1
    Can't wait until the Holidays are over and I can get out my tenor Banjo and start practicing this nice arrangement seriously, especially the tremolo parts.
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Jan-12-2016 at 12:54pm. Reason: link no longer found

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crisscross For This Useful Post:

Nice job guys!
    Here's my go at "I will" Next up...Blackbird!
    I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different. -Kurt Vonnegut

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mando_Zeek For This Useful Post:

Today, with all those new year's firecrackers exploding prematurely, I dared to bother my neighbors with my tenor banjo. I added some ukulele as a back-up.

20. The following members say thank you to crisscross for this post:

Finally got a copy of this and took a few minutes last night exploring a few of the arrangements. They're just great. Kudos Bill LaFleur!
    ------------------------
    - YouTube Stuff

Here's my version of the song for a lady who turned 50 last December, slightly simplified and sans tremolo

on my tenor banjo

23. The following members say thank you to crisscross for this post:

Enjoyed both of yours here on banjo and uke; also the other vids posted in this thread.
    ------------------------
    - YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by markscarts View Post
    Finally got a copy of this and took a few minutes last night exploring a few of the arrangements. They're just great. Kudos Bill LaFleur!
    Couldn't agree more. I bought this book just after it came out and am still finding it fantastic. There's a real shortage of intermediate-level chord melody arrangements out there and I hope Bill LaFleur will consider writing more.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Just ordered it. Y'all have me convinced....

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I have this book. It is excellent. Especially Blackbird and Michelle. I am presently looking for other Mando chord books he has put together. No luck so far...

Last edited by Dweinsh289; Feb-19-2016 at 10:17am. Reason: Need to add quote

Quote Originally Posted by blaf View Post

We want more! Have you done any similar mandolin chord stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Dweinsh289 View Post
    We want more! Have you done any similar mandolin chord stuff?
    Thanks to all for the kind feedback! I haven't done any other chord/melody mandolin books, although I'd like to. Been working on a Mandolin Fake Book for a while now, over 300 tunes - but they are basic fake book style melody with standard chords. Also, talk of a Bill Monroe play-along book in the works.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blaf For This Useful Post:

Enjoying the Beatles book, I'd love to see some more chord melody/jazz books from you!

This book comes in a Kindle version. Amazon lets you download a sample of their Kindle books before you buy. I just downloaded the free sample of the Beatles book. In addition to the table of contents it contains the full score for the first 5 songs in the book. The Kindle reader is also a free download so you can read it on a phone or notebook. I have mine on an iPad. Very nice!
    Greg
    "I yam what I yam"

I have been hunting for a book like this for the Mandolin.

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I get my copy this Thursday and CAN'T WAIT.
    Eastman MD305 mandolin
    Epiphone Special ll electric
    Jay Jr. Dreadnought, cutaway, electric/accoustic