Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Chip Pick for a bowlback?

Default Blue Chip Pick for a bowlback?

Looks like Blue Chip didn't get around to a specific pick for a classical mandolin yet. From their current range the only one that could possibly be used for a bowlback appears to be BC jazz 35. I wonder if anyone tried it for that purpose?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Blue Chip Pick for a bowlback?

i tried my CT55 on my Calace, but it was a dead loss in terms of tone and attack with way too much clicking going on.
    I love the feel of the Meldin and am seriously considering buying a sheet to make my own shaped picks once the patent is confirmed.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Blog Entries

Often for my bowlback the best pick is a simple Fender Heavy. Whether its classical or blues or old time. Better than a BC or a Wegen or even a Primetone.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

4. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

very happy with the Blue Chip Jazz 40. Bach, Telemann, Celtic (O'Carolan), etc. Thomastik strings. Not a bowlback though!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    very happy with the Blue Chip Jazz 40. Bach, Telemann, Celtic (O'Carolan), etc. Thomastik strings. Not a bowlback though!

f-d
    That may be the issue - NOT a bowlback.

Personally I get great results from a simple Pickboy mandolin pick:

http://www.amazon.com/Pickboy-Mandol...ews/B004UIFXRI

10 for $8.34

Some players complained that this pick was "too thin" and it may be if you have an archtop mandolin with long scale and 11's.

However for traditional bowlback and flatback mandolins, with light strings, this is an ideal pick for Italian and classical music.

It also has a pointed tip which is a MUST for good mandolin tone, round picks loose brilliance.

Personally I cannot play with those thick round post-Dawg picks.

$35 is also too much money for a pick, seriously, what's it made of, gold?

Another great choice is the Spike ultem pick:

7. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

RodCH 

I don't play a bowlback,but the best pick I found right now for speed,tone,control,etc. is the pickboy sharpe carbon 1.14.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    That may be the issue - NOT a bowlback.

<snip>

[/IMG]
    o.k. then. . . Remind me not to further contribute.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    o.k. then. . . Remind me not to further contribute.

f-d
    I didn't mean it that way and I'm sorry if I put you off - the instruments just have a different response and feel.

Please contribute, and accept my apologies.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

One time cost. How much was the mandolin?

Its all about the right tools for the right job. If the tool does what one wants, its better than gold.

The thing is, I find, a bowlback often requires a different tool.

If the Fender Heavy pick that I like for bowbacking were to cost $35.00, I might have to spend that much, because it makes that much or more difference.

I also like the Red Bear roman style picks, especially on the bowlback. They aren't cheap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	roman pick.png 
Views:	189 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	136225  

The entire staff
    funny....

13. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

I didn't mean it that way and I'm sorry if I put you off - the instruments just have a different response and feel.

Please contribute, and accept my apologies.
    Very classy of you David!

I knew what spirit your comment was made, cause I know from previous interaction with you how passionate you are about bowlbacks and classical mandolin in general...a good thing my man!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

15. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

David is right about different responses on bowlbacks, even different bowlbacks like different picks.

However I generally use BC Jazz 35 (and some heavier) for my regular mandolins and I have played the 35 on my Embergher. I also use a Roman pick but, tho I own one, I do not like the Red Bear at all. It sounds dull to me and the shape is wrong compared to the imported one I do use. I alos made some of my own Roman picks from a sheet of Ultem plastic. BTW Eoin, can you afford a sheet of Meldin? Last time I checked a thin sheet comes to about $1300 (no time to translate to British currency, sorry). Besides that stuff is super hard -- how do you intend to work it?

Generally I use jazz-size picks on all my mandolins. I had use John Pearse ones for awhile.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

17. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I have--and found it to be wonderful: the closest feel and almost sound of the [unnamed material] which I prefer for all my mandolins (bowlback or arched top). I don't, however, play bluegrass.

If you're willing to try out some Blue Chip picks on a bowlback, you would probably look for these characteristics, I imagine:

1) A fairly thin pick (better for light strings). Blue Chips come in 35 thousandths (0.88 mm), which is about right.
    2) A slender form with a fairly sharp point. That would mean the TD style (sort of an elongated teardrop) or the Jazz or Jazz Large styles.

So try the BC Jazz 35, the TD 35, or the BC Jazz LG 35. The Jazz picks are slightly pointier, but the TD picks have more of a bevel. You would have to try these out and see which one is too your liking (if either). Blue Chip will let you return any picks you don't like, which is a generous policy! Or, you can always sell them "used" (they rarely show any wear) on the Mandolin Cafe for just about $5 less then you paid for them. It's hard to go wrong with Blue Chip, IMO. And spending $35 is NOTHING compared to your other music-related expenses, including paying for the instrument itself. Remember, it will (almost) never wear down, so unless you lose the pick, it's a long-term investment. You will go through many hundreds of dollars' worth of strings by the time you replace a BC pick.
    Last edited by sblock; Jul-09-2015 at 2:35pm.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    David is right about different responses on bowlbacks, even different bowlbacks like different picks.

..... compared to the imported one I do use. I also made some of my own Roman picks from a sheet of Ultem plastic.....
    Generally I use jazz-size picks on all my mandolins. I had use John Pearse ones for awhile.
    What brand of imported Roman pick is that please?

I did make a couple out of various material, and I was under-impressed, perhaps I made the Roman pick somewhat wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Vuksinich View Post
    I have--and found it to be wonderful: the closest feel and almost sound of the [unnamed material] which I prefer for all my mandolins (bowlback or arched top). I don't, however, play bluegrass.
    Nor do I for the most part! I grew up playing Italian music, jazz, Klezmer, and classical.

Personally I get great results from a simple Pickboy mandolin pick:
    Funny you mention the Pickboy. Just yesterday, I recorded a little classical duet on my bowlback using this pick, and though it felt quite good playing it, the resulting sound is a little to thin for my taste. Guess I'll have to do it again using my Wolle pick. Not as expensive as a Blue Chip but at least a "blue chip"http://trekel.de/de/zubehor/9058-wolleplektrumblau.html

Thanks everyone. I currently use Dogal No3 for a bowlback, but find them to be wearing out too quickly. I also have unbranded celluloid ones that are similar to pickboy and they are not too bad. But the point is to find somthing similar to unnamed material ones but more durable. Will give BlueChip Jazz 35 a try. It is a pity they don't make the ones for classical, hope they will one day. Beanzy, If you get around to making your own picks of Meldin, please let me know. Thanks.

Wolle is interesting, heard a lot about them, need to give them a try, too.

Quote Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
    Funny you mention the Pickboy. Just yesterday, I recorded a little classical duet on my bowlback using this pick, and though it felt quite good playing it, the resulting sound is a little to thin for my taste.
    There are times when I wish they made a slightly thicker one, but overall I'm happy with them. Of course it depends on the tone you want, the way you play, your particular instrument and set-up, etc.

Are the Wolle picks those German school plastic ones? Even the soft is a thicker pick and a whole different style.

http://trekel.de/de/zubehor/zubehor-...trumweiss.html

https://schneidermusik.de/shop1/inde...ath/87_146_539

I'm trying to find an easily obtainable pick in the Neapolitan tradition.

Like this sort of thing:

something like the Pettine and De Pace

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vic-victor View Post
    Thanks everyone. I currently use Dogal No3 for a bowlback, but find them to be wearing out too quickly. I also have unbranded celluloid ones that are similar to pickboy and they are not too bad..
    I've wanted to try the Dogal picks. What thickness is a #3?

thanks.

I've wanted to try the Dogal picks. What thickness is a #3?
    Not sure, but I think around 0.75mm. I tried #2, but they are too flexible to my taste, though they sound OK on super light strings.

27. The following members say thank you to vic-victor for this post:

Are the Wolle picks those German school plastic ones? Even the soft is a thicker pick and a whole different style.
    Yes, that is the Wolle pick. The soft one is made from a little softer material but the thickness seems to be the same as the hard one.
    There is a shop here in Germany specializing in music accessories called Tonetoys. They have some interesting picks:

The Old Fashioned mandolin pick http://www.tone-toys.com/shop/Old-Fashioned

The Tor Tis pick. The two in the pictures below come close to the shape of a pick in the Neapolitan tradtition. http://www.tone-toys.com/shop/Tor-Tis_1
    But 13 € for a single pick? At least they seem to have the right thickness for my taste.

Galli 310 picks. I have some of them , but they are a little too large for my taste http://www.tone-toys.com/shop/Galli-Tortoise-Picks

Herdim mandolin picks: I'm not a big fan of nylon picks, but the shape is OK http://www.tone-toys.com/shop/Herdim-Mandoline
    Last edited by crisscross; Jul-10-2015 at 1:23am.

29. The following members say thank you to crisscross for this post:

Thanks for posting the links to the German picks - I'd like to try them out.

The German classical mandolin tradition has diverged a bit from the older Italian school - they vary in terms of things like use of tremolo, type of picks and strings, etc. So there are also some cool options of picks that don't get marketed outside of Germany , unfortunately.

Some of those picks look very good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    BTW Eoin, can you afford a sheet of Meldin? Last time I checked a thin sheet comes to about $1300 (no time to translate to British currency, sorry). Besides that stuff is super hard -- how do you intend to work it?
    Still waiting for a final quote on a 12"x12" sheet from a friend in a uk company that use it. It would only be a one off on top of their next order and they normally order bars not sheets. The initial cut-out of blanks will be done with fairly straightforward tools, the tests so far using recycled Meldin don't have any issues. My only worry with the recycled stuff tested is that this comes from a high speed part that has normally failed by then, so the bits I'm testing are possibly fatigued too. Also the manufacturer who uses it are only one of many in that market so it's hit and miss in terms of getting hold of it. At the moment I'm using water buffalo horn, but that wears and needs reshaping after about 4 or 5 months.
    Thing is I'm not convinced I'll ever make it viable anyway, but the design is worth it for the improvement it delivers over what's available. But we're talking a niche within a niche here.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Got BC Jazz 35 this morning and it works great for a bowlback. Tried several instruments, including Embergher. Clear sound, great tremolo. Hard and strong and thin enough. Just what the doctor's ordered.

33. The following members say thank you to vic-victor for this post:

Just got a modern day bowlback from Carlo Mazzaccaro. He sent along a Galli Medium (0.70 mm) pick. I really like it.

Blog Entries

I just had a revelation. I don't think Pick Boy is the same company as Pickboy. The former is a famous brand of many kinds of guitar picks, of all kinds of materials, the latter makes those stretched heart shaped 0.7mm picks that say mandolin on them, shown in post #5, and I don't think they make anything else.

The entire staff
    funny....