Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dunlop Primetone pick

Default Dunlop Primetone pick

I'm thinking of getting some primetone picks to try.

I see the listing for primetone picks shows not only a selection of different shaped picks but also different colours. There seems to be an amber coloured pick and a brown coloured pick.

My question is - is there a different material used in the different coloured picks or is it just the material coloured differently?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primetone 'flat'.jpg 
Views:	454 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	136206Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primetone 'molded grip'.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	136207

Default Re: Dunlop Primetone pick

I have both kinds. I was told that these are the same material, but they sure feel and sound different to me.

The dark brown picks have a smooth face, with the logo painted/printed on the face. The amber colored picks have the logo cast into the face, and make them grippier. It may be that they dark ones are simply cut from a sheet of material, where the amber ones are injection-molded, possibly causing the color difference (if indeed they are the same base material).

FWIW, I find myself liking the amber ones with the grippy logo better.

I too, have both, but I prefer the "brown" ones. Reminds me of a more costly plectrum (won't mention the name) but with these I can easily afford to have one in each instrument rather than trying to carry one or two of those that won't be mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdboyd View Post
    I too, have both, but I prefer the "brown" ones. Reminds me of a more costly plectrum (won't mention the name) but with these I can easily afford to have one in each instrument rather than trying to carry one or two of those that won't be mentioned.
    Why would you be afraid to mention the name of the pick?

Seems odd....
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

A lot of people have said they're similar to Blue Chip. Personally, I don't think so. I've used each brand in the same shape and thickness and I feel the Blue Chip is a bit smoother and fuller sounding, although, for the money, the Primetone is not that far behind. The bevel on the Primetone is what keeps me from using it. I feel it makes the tone too harsh on the higher strings. At least with Blue Chip you can order with a rounded edge.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Limited experience here but I do use the 1.3mm one pictures on the left. I have not tried the other. I like the rounder type picks and think they are great. I have tried a few others and have really gotten used to the feel. I think they sound great and so does my mandolin teacher. Hard to beat for a great value.

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I have the clear grippy one in a more pointed version. I rounded one of the corners and reproduced the bevel as best I could using something like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Jaylie-4-Way-P...ne+emery+board
    The result is a terrific pick that gives me two distinctly different tones on my mandolins.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

I like the Dunlop Primetone small triangle shape, but I wish that their 'standard' pick shape was the same size as the Fender standard. It's smaller, and to my right hand, that makes it NOT 'standard'. The Fender is the starting point and I guess I've grown used to it, especially for guitar - but I like the material Dunlip used in the PrimeTone™!
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

The material used in both types of Primetone is the same. The smooth 'printed' ones are made from sheet material,the ones with the 'grippy' surface are presumably made by heating a suitable sheet spec. of the same material to soften it, & then pressing it to shape to make several picks at one 'pass'. It may be that the 2 materials,although the same,might exhibit different structural properties resulting in a difference in sound.
    I'd been using the 1.3mm Teardrop shaped picks for a while & asked the question on here - ''would a thicker pick give any more volume'' that was considering that the 1.3mm thick picks were already as stiff as could be. I bought some 1.5mm thick ones & was amazed at the increase in sheer 'punch' that they gave,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Very interesting. Thanks to all for your replies.
    @ Ivan - Ivan are you using the printed or grippy ones?

I have the translucent one and I did not like it on my mandolin, but I found it to be absolutely awesome for strumming on my acoustic guitar. Really easy to hold on to. Try them both. They are not expensive.

+1 on the grippy version, very easy to control and good sounding pick.

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

+2 on that
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

+3, though I use the more pointed one. I have it in 1.4 and 1.5mm, and both are excellent.

Hmmm...

I've tried the grippy ones and they just don't do it for me. Good volume, but I find them to be much too clicky on the strings, both on guitar and mandolin.

However, the plain ones are superb! I use a .96 standard teardrop for guitar and it gives really good volume, punch and string articulation. For mandolin, I love the sound of the large triangle (pointy, not rounded) 1.5mm. Again, fantastic clarity and a really punchy sound.

I do own a Blue Chip td40 which is also great for guitar, but my wife keeps liberating it for her own guitar, so I use the .96 Primetone a lot. I also have a Blue Chip Ct55 for mandolin, which delivers a gorgeous tone, but it's too quiet in a jam setting - whereas the 1.5mm primetone really punches through the mix. YMMV, IMHO, etc!

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

My favorite all time pick is the red 1.3 grippy one. Though, I do use a clear (very difficult to find when dropped) v-pick tremolo for less pick click those occasional times I am plugged in. The Dunlop is also a great value at less than $2.00 each when purchasing a twelve pack.
    I own one of the $35.00 picks and just cannot find any redeeming qualities in it.
    I'm thankful so many choices abound, as we all have our preferences.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

Hi Noah - My first Primetones were 1.3 mm thick & i bought 3 of both - smooth & 'grippy'. I found that in warm weather = moist fingers,the smooth ones gripped very well,but in cold weather = dry fingers,the 'grippy' ones worked better. I only bought 1.5 mm 'grippy' ones & they work fine. I don't think that i personally need to buy any other picks,except maybe another 3 pack of 'grippy'
    1.5 mm ones as spares,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Amber grippy. But for me the old Ultex and some celluloid picks, e.g. Kasho, that I have deliver a slightly better tone for many purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by ccravens View Post
    Why would you be afraid to mention the name of the pick?

Seems odd....
    Tongue firmly planted to the side of my cheek. Seems like anytime the word Bl$#Ch!@ picks come up in the forum the lovers and haters come out fighting.

The grippy one is a go-to pick for me, sounds nicer or nice-as any and stays put in a loose grip. I've tried a bunch. Still use a Wegen occasionally, depends on the mando or music at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny60 View Post
    Hmmm...

I've tried the grippy ones and they just don't do it for me. Good volume, but I find them to be much too clicky on the strings, both on guitar and mandolin.
    That can be true: though it depends a lot on the instrument, certainly when I tried recording my mandola using one of those the pick noise was terrible! Strangely fine on mandolin though, go figure...

22. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post:

My response copied from a previous thread:

I used Pro Plec 1.5 tri-corner picks, (actually the Jazz Mando branded version)exclusively for mando and guitar for several years. Last year at IBMA, I picked up a 3-pack each of the Primetone 512P 1.5 tri-corner and 514P 1.3 rounded tri-corner picks (after seeing Scott Fore using them at the Bourgeois booth). Upon my first trial of the Primetones when I got home, I immediately stopped using the Pro Plecs on guitar, but continued to use them on mando. I settled on the 1.5 for large body guitars with medium strings and the 1.3 on small body guitars with med. light strings. After some time I started playing more with the Primetones and settled on the 1.3 for mando as well. The Pro Plecs went in the pick storage box.

I recently had a chance to get a couple BC picks as part of a trade. Based on my other picks I chose a TPR 50 and a TP 60. It did not take long for the TP 60 to replace the Primetone 1.5 and the TPR 50 to replace the Primetone 1.3. Although I do notice a perceived minor loss of volume (have not tested with a meter and brighter has the false perception of being louder) , the BC pick just have a richer tone and feel better attacking and sliding off the strings. The Primetones sound just a bit overly bright and plastic in comparison. And I mean just a bit. The Primetones are probably 80% as good as the BC. If I had to live with only the Primetones for the rest of my life I could do just fine. That said, after having used the BC I would certainly shell out the extra bucks for more if needed.

So in a nutshell:
    Mandolin and small body guitars = BC TPR 50 (Primetone 514P 1.3 a close second)
    Large body guitars = BC TP 60 (Primetone 512P 1.5 a close second)
    Pro Plec 1.5 sounds dark and dull in comparison to the others = retired

In reference to the OP, I agree what many have already stated. All other things being equal:
    Thicker = darker
    Rounded corners darker than pointed corners
    Softer material darker than harder material
    Bevel and other design factors also contribute to tone and volume.

My $0.025 worth. Your results may vary.

Getcha a bunch and play what you like!

I really like the standard 1.3 grippy ones. I only bought two at the IBMA last year so I ordered a three pack from a company called Sweetwater. The cost was $4.59, free shipping and they included a brochure and a pack of candy consisting of five peppermint candies, two atomic fireballs and two packs of smarties! What a deal.

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    I really like the standard 1.3 grippy ones. I only bought two at the IBMA last year so I ordered a three pack from a company called Sweetwater. The cost was $4.59, free shipping and they included a brochure and a pack of candy consisting of five peppermint candies, two atomic fireballs and two packs of smarties! What a deal.
    Whoa! Wait a minute. Forget the picks. The last time I ordered from Sweetwater, I only got four peppermint candies and the Smarties. I did get two Bit-O-Honeys, though. Never mind.

Now, on a mandolin item: Is "grippy" a technical term? Everyone seems to be using it. Are there degrees of grippiness? If so, how do you measure it? Do you count the number of times you almost drop the pick while doing a 4 minute tremelo or something like that? Just wondering.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrousgeek View Post
    My response copied from a previous thread:

I recently had a chance to get a couple BC picks as part of a trade. Based on my other picks I chose a TPR 50 and a TP 60. It did not take long for the TP 60 to replace the Primetone 1.5 and the TPR 50 to replace the Primetone 1.3. Although I do notice a perceived minor loss of volume (have not tested with a meter and brighter has the false perception of being louder) , the BC pick just have a richer tone and feel better attacking and sliding off the strings. The Primetones sound just a bit overly bright and plastic in comparison. And I mean just a bit. The Primetones are probably 80% as good as the BC. If I had to live with only the Primetones for the rest of my life I could do just fine. That said, after having used the BC I would certainly shell out the extra bucks for more if needed.
    Ah, another convert to Blue Chip! Yes, those Dunlap Primetones are very good picks, indeed --- and also a fabulous value, given how little they cost to buy. But the Blue Chips are great picks! Perhaps they're not as good a value (although this metric is pretty subjective, and it depends on your finances), but they're better picks all around. At least, that's what a great many of us think. Also, the Blue Chips are "grippier." Gotta love that term!