Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dunlop Primetone pick

Default Re: Dunlop Primetone pick

Now, on a mandolin item: Is "grippy" a technical term? Everyone seems to be using it.

Look at post #1, the amber pick on the right has texture molded into the pick surface. It increases the ability to grip it, therefore is grippy.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

How grippy was me monroes pick? Better get me one exactly the same.

(And yes I know what pick he used: 'this one right here'.)
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

I was over visiting some family in the UK and picked up a pack of the "grippy" picks. I couldn't find anywhere stocking the "printed" ones.

They are a very nice pick and I've been using them along with my regular picks.

I normally use either a wegen TF140 or a Bluechip CT55. I switch between the two as I sometimes find the wegen too bright and the Bluechip can at times be a tad dark. I find the primetone "grippy" to be somewhere inbetween the wegen and bluechip in terms of brightness.

Thanks again to everyone for their replies.

I like the fact that we all can obsess over plectrums. I have saved a lot of money adding picks rather mandolins to my household!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tkdboyd For This Useful Post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tkdboyd View Post
    I like the fact that we all can obsess over plectrums. I have saved a lot of money adding picks rather mandolins to my household!
    Ha ha! I can just see the next thread..."What's the best mandolin to play with my Bluechip CT55?"
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    Ha ha! I can just see the next thread..."What's the best mandolin to play with my Bluechip CT55?"
    Please, don't even start!!!
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

From Noah - " I couldn't find anywhere stocking the "printed" ones.". GAK in Brighton UK sell them,but they should be widely available in the US. If like me,in warm weather the ''clammy hand syndrome'' kicks in,the flat,printed ones stick like glue to my fingers when even the grippy ones are tending to twist around a bit,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

I've got both kinds in large triangle 1.5mm. The non grippy one is my favorite of the two. The difference in sound is very evident between the two. My BC TAD 60 still beats out both for mandolin, but not by much, so I'm very happy with the Primetones. I'll take em out of the house and keep em in my wallet for going to music stores. I don't however prefer the BC for my acoustic guitars. The primetones also sound good on my Martin, but my Hense Happy Turtle 1.4mm is the favorite for flatpicking.
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

On my mandolins I still prefer my BC CT55, but the darker colored 1.4 mm Primetones aren't bad. I find BC gives the most full, darkest tone, PT is slightly brighter, and Wegen TF 140 is the brightest, though I like them all and use them all depending on my mood and the song•If I had to choose only one, it'd be the BC.
    Chuck

I was having trouble with all pics. I simply couldn't hold on to them anymore because of a neurological problem I've developed. I contacted Dunlop and told them that I was having problems and they sent me a couple of prime tones with a grippy surface for free. They're not the perfect answer but they do help. I very much appreciate Dunlop helping me and refuse to use anything else. When someone goes out of their way to help me they earn my business for life. You do whatever works for you.
    Last edited by randy_jiner; Oct-21-2019 at 10:57pm. Reason: Spelling

The Primetone picks with the texture are indeed easy to hold on to. I’ve been experimenting with superglue and sandpaper on my Blue Chip, which works fine until it wears smooth. The Primetones are brighter though, and I use one with my old A1.

I’ve also been experimenting with the grip Mike Compton uses, which places the pick between knuckle joints. It stays in place like that and gives a solid attack.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by randy_jiner View Post
    I was having trouble with all pics. I simply couldn't hold on to them anymore because of a neurological problem I've developed. I contacted Dunlop and told them that I was having problems and they sent me a couple of prime tones with a grippy surface for free. They're not the perfect answer but they do help. I very much appreciate Dunlop helping me and refuse to use anything else. When someone goes out of their way to help me they earn my business for life. You do whatever works for you.
    Always cool to hear about a company taking an interest in an individual’s needs!
    Chuck

I've been using Monster Grips for several years. They work great and don't wear out. They're small discs of silicon rubber with built-in tackiness that you can apply to one or both sides of a pick. They add no weight to the pick. When they begin to lose their tacky qualities, I wash them in a little soap and water and they're good as new. Alcohol hand gel cleans them, too.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Monster Grips in any way.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

15. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

Old thread, but I use the Dunlop 24513150003 Primetone Triangle 1.5mm Sculpted Plectra (Smooth)
    The ones with the grip are easier to hold but they are clicky to me. I know they are made of the same material but they sound different to me. I'm curious about the Blue Chip CT55 but I lose picks at shows and on tour pretty often. That would be a costly loss. Still, I'm curious...
    Gibson 2016 "Harvey" Fern
    Collings MT Mandola
    Weber 2017 Bitterroot A20-F Octave Mandolin
    Crump BIII Irish Bouzouki
    Petersen Level 2 Irish Bouzouki
    Eastman MDC805 Mandocello
    Collings 0002H
    Five & Six String Banjos
    Lots of other Guitars
    http://www.shadowfields.com

Quote Originally Posted by McIrish View Post
    Old thread, but I use the Dunlop 24513150003 Primetone Triangle 1.5mm Sculpted Plectra (Smooth)
    The ones with the grip are easier to hold but they are clicky to me. I know they are made of the same material but they sound different to me. I'm curious about the Blue Chip CT55 but I lose picks at shows and on tour pretty often. That would be a costly loss. Still, I'm curious...
    I think you will find that when you have a $40 pick, you know where it is at all times. I have a pick for every instrument, and it stays in the strings if I put the instrument. I really should have a traveling pick to take to stores. You pay more attention to where a BC pick is.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I don’t want to jinx myself, but I don’t recall ever losing a pick in 20 years of professional playing. With the exception of dropping one through a gap in deck material that was too scary to crawl under. That said, I weekly freak out as to where my keys or glasses have gone.
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    I've been using Monster Grips for several years. They work great and don't wear out. They're small discs of silicon rubber with built-in tackiness that you can apply to one or both sides of a pick. They add no weight to the pick. When they begin to lose their tacky qualities, I wash them in a little soap and water and they're good as new. Alcohol hand gel cleans them, too.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Monster Grips in any way.
    I've heard about those. I'll have to give them a try.

Thanks!
    M&M

Dunlop Primetones are among my favorite picks (particularly the Triangle and Standard shapes at 1.5 or 2mm), along with Dunlop Big Stubby 3mm in Lexan (purple) and Wegen M250.
    1923 Gibson A-Jr
    2011 Kentucky KM-630

Blog Entries

So happy for this thread!

I just picked up a 12-pack if the Dunlop Primetones 1.5. My mando is in the shop though, so I’ll have to wait to try them. They do feel really good.

I’m also a fan of the Tortex series, and recently bought a load of the gray/black ones, the 1.5s. They sound good, but they wear out pretty quickly.

You know, I was listening to the Mandolins and Beer podcast recently and Matt Flinner was the guest, talking about using Dunlop picks. Darol Angor turned him into the Dunlop Flow. That was pretty cool.

I read a lot of reviews on the Primetones so I ordered some 1.4 and 1.5mm and I don't like them at all. They were just dull and lifeless to me, I like my traditional lite 1.5mm VPick much much better and I don't notice a huge clicky sound as some mention.

I keep some around. They are good but slightly dull on the high end for my tastes. But I'm using .96 and 1.0 Primetones. And comparing them to BC 35 and 40 and Wegen Bluegrass 100. All three work for me. But some mandolins seem to have a preference of one over the other.

Did notice one of my favorite players, Bob Douglas, uses Tortex .88 on his mandolin. Might have to give those another try.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I have a few and I’ve noticed more wear on one in a couple of weeks than on my Blue Chips in two years. I do like them for guitar, but not as much as Wegens.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

25. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post: