Thread: When I'm Sixty Four

Default When I'm Sixty Four

This is the time in my life when I'd really like to perform in public, a little. My chops aren't what they used to be, and I want to try to get the most out of my fine instruments while I still can. I'd like to purchase a Schertler JAM 400 acoustic amp., and whatever else I need to use my instruments, and get a great sound.

1. Can I run a mandolin through this with a piezo without some sort of preamp, or mixer?
    2. For more freedom of movement, would it be better to use a combination piezo and mini-condensor mike. Or something like a Shure SM94, so I could keep a little distance between mandolin and mike?
    3. I've got a '72 D28, with a Goldline pickup, probably installed 15 years ago. Would there be any incompatibilities with it and the Schertler?
    4. How should I go about getting the proper sound from my Ellis F5 #65 and my Collings D3. The less surgery on these sweethearts, the better.

Thanks for any help.

Steven Anderson A #22
    Ellis F5 #65
    Martin D28 '72
    Collings D3 '09

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: When I'm Sixty Four

Your choice of mic or transducer has a lot to do with the ambient noise of the environment where you will be playing. The transducer technology has come a long ways in the last fifteen years. But will never IMO sound as good as a mic ....... vibrations in wood are different than vibrations in air..... but in a loud external noise situation a transducer works better. Transducers work without a pre-amp. Thy generally work better with than without. Small tube operated preamps an no longer an expensive ad on. And installation "surgery" is minimal and completely reversible. Truthfully the thing with gear is the more the merrier. A good pair of mics with a third to CYA a good transducer installed in your instruments a good preamp a quality small amp to use as small venue sound reinforcement and a quality small PA for larger venues... and extra cables .... The Cafe user Almeria will give you the most complete gear answer, and may already have while I typed , but this is my .02$. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

3. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

The transducer technology has come a long ways in the last fifteen years. But will never IMO sound as good as a mic ....... vibrations in wood are different than vibrations in air..... but in a loud external noise situation a transducer works better.
    This is so true, I have to use transducer with good built-in preamp to get good sound, not the best, but quite acceptable to my ears.

Transducers work without a pre-amp
    Some do, some don't. I bought a few guitars with a passive tone/volume control and the guitars sound terrible thru all my amps. Worst is no sound at all with my Yamaha powered mixer. After replacing the passive control with an active pre-amp, keeping the same transducer, the sound is great thru all my amps.
    My ukulele, for some reason, sound good with a cheap piezo (the round thing) glued under, near the bridge, and no feedback problem either. Dumb luck as the exact same piezo sound very bad on other instruments I tested, and with expected feedback problem as well, so I got to remove it).

Recently I purchase a Myers "pickup" (around 134$) , it is actually a goose neck mini-mic, it produces very good sound, better than all transducer I tested over the years. However, I have to watch where I stand to avoid feedback problem.

5. The following members say thank you to kkmm for this post:

couldn't help it I'll be there next year
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

7. The following members say thank you to woodwizard for this post:

seems kind of cart before the horse..

I like the Schertler Pickup and use it with a Less expensive amplifier,
    than Swiss Schertler's own.

but Dyn M, as a dynamic mic-transducer .. a Microphone will be as good too ..

A piezo signal impedance is a Lot different than a Mic's .

Piezo Dedicated Preamps should be in the signal chain..

A contact pickup will hear a lot of what it is attached to..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

9. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Only by a few months mandroid I loved my Schertler Dyn M... It worked very nicely & I'm sure it saved a lot of mic nicks
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

A great little tune, Mike. Thanks for sharing :-)

12. The following members say thank you to Attoyac for this post:

Are there any other pickups that are noteworthy. Do you prefer the K&K Twin Internal, or the K&K Fusion? I've read where some people think the JJB PPS-200 pickup is better than the K&K, and less money as well. Would you add the K&K Meridian mike, so you'd have the best of two worlds?
    I was considering these for the Anderson "A" Are there any others I should look at?

Now on to the Ellis F5 and the Collings D3. I had to save my hard earned money for quite a while to be able to have these nice instruments. I've been VERY protective of them until now, when I've realized I need to play them. I am only a steward of them, while here on this great Earth we live on. What type mike or pickup system would you want for these. I would think you wouldn't want any holes drilled into them, except for the end pin, possibly.

I understand, the pickup for noisy situations, and the mike for quieter scenarios. How are the musicians who play the Loars, and other fine acoustics, reproducing the sound of their instruments?

I certainly appreciate all the help that you can offer to me. I've been reading all the forum posts that I can find, on sound production with acoustic instruments. There are a lot of you out there that use this new acoustic gear (mikes, pick-ups, preamps, amplifiers, and mixers). Please educate me. Thanks :-)