Thread: Harmony fingerboard extension

Default Harmony fingerboard extension

Hello:
    Has anyone noticed the fingerboard extension on early Harmony mandos is shaped like a shark fin and some are like an ogee shark fin. I thought this could date them to a certain decade if the stamp is missing inside.
    I know someone has noticed this and can help me id an old chicago harmony
    Dub

Default Re: Harmony fingerboard extension

Sorry I asked

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Well dub,

Since the number of us who know BOTH what a Harmony FB extension AND an ogee shark fin look like seems small, why don't you post a picture of each and educate us? Maybe that would ring a bell in someone's mind.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

4. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

I'm pretty familiar with Harmony instruments and never noticed the difference. I'm with Phil, pictures are always helpful. I'm always looking for way to identify these things.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    Monterrey Mandos

I have that one you linked to. It's plywood. That bridge is not original. The bridge on mine collapsed, as did the plywood top eventually. The "ebonized" (that's what they called it) fingerboard, is also a lie - try sanding it, and the black fake ebony disappears instantly, revealing some kind of cheap white wood beneath the paper-thin "veneer", if it even deserves that designation. Overall a cheap beginner toy, at best. They did however play well. (until top collapse). I plan on using it for practice REPAIR, perhaps find a way to resurrect the collapsed top. I also made my first "one piece bridge" for this mandolin.
    My research was close; but not conclusive - dated approx 1969. And it has a sharklike extension for only a couple of partial frets, as per the pix in the linked older thread. (similar runs ran from 1967 to perhaps 71-73 max. See below, the 67's were real.

BUT
    My research, which I cannot link or replicate, indicated that some REAL mandolins were made roughly 1967, and perhaps for only 1 or 2 years max. Those had rosewood fingerboards and solid wood tops, at least. Naming was the same, hardware, not sure but very similar most likely. Again they were cheap but used real wood. I have not returned to research actual model name or number for the "genuine wood" version. I have seen a couple for sale here and there - but the cheap piece of junk I own, discourages me from indulging further in Harmony generally.
    So, there is a real mando possible; but sand the neck, and see if it's real wood, or just a picture of ebony - the real thing is real rosewood. But they changed to the fake recipe after 67/68

Tuners on mine are white, and they are horribly stiff to turn - I don't know if they are original, they had no bushings. I installed bushings, no improvement - have not tried cleaning/restoring the tuners - yet.

I consider to be collapsed ply, fake everything, cheap hardware, and not worth collecting or restoring. for my eventual use, it is a training or practice area for repair lessons. I could learn how to do back removal to attempt undo the collapsed top. In my sig, it appears also as a candidate for firewood.

Don't confuse this with the one that's made of real wood and rosewood - my research dated those 67. And yes, there's much inconsistency re stamps inside.

Beware people selling the cheap trashy ones for 3-500, just cos they are oldish. The REAL one is perhaps worth 200ish, perhaps more in setup playable condition. Scratch the fb - if the veneer disappears, walk away. A child's toy.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

1940 Harmony Marquis shark fin fingerboard extensionClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1940 harmony marquis.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	135971