Thread: Summit Oval Hole

Default Summit Oval Hole

Hi Everyone,

This is my first thread starter on this forum which has been a wealth of information for me since taking up the Mandolin a couple years back (after many years of playing guitar and 5 string banjo).

Anyway, I went to the Acoustic Music Company in Brighton UK about a month ago looking to buy my first really nice mandolin. I was pretty much set on the oval hole arch-top sound (my musical interests are in Celtic, old time, and a bit of classical). While trying out some Webers (and expecting to leave with a Gallatin or Bitterroot), the salesman brought out a Summit oval hole built by Paul Schneider (back in 7/2013 though for sale as new), a model A-100-4. I had never heard of Summit before, and I understood why after looking up the name – their website only shows bluegrass oriented instruments with f-holes. Upon playing it I was immediately taken by its bell-like tone and clarity. It sounded brighter to me than the Gallatin (which to my ears had a darker, more complex tone which brightened when played loudly – I imagine it would open up beautifully). Among the Webers it sounded closest to the Bitterroot, but I kept being drawn back to the Summit which I happily purchased (for around £500 less than the Bitterroot). I've since been completely delighted with this instrument, and thought I'd post some photos since I haven't seen any pictures of Summit oval holes on the web.

Thanks again to all of the Forum members who have made this website such a valuable resource.

Cheers

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000098.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	406.0 KB 
ID:	146076   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000102.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	384.5 KB 
ID:	146077   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000103.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	590.5 KB 
ID:	146078  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000105.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	652.0 KB 
ID:	146079  

Default Re: Summit Oval Hole

Good choice. I am sure that you will be very happy with it. I have a Black A2 which is very comparable to your Old Summit.

Enjoy!
    Nic Gellie

Default Re: Summit Oval Hole

I have an A-style Summit with f-holes and it is a great instrument!