Thread: "Bowlback Mandolin-The Marquette- (1851?)

Default "Bowlback Mandolin-The Marquette- (1851?)

A neighbor just brought over a mandolin that has been a family heirloom for a number of years. I am trying to help him find out more about it and bring it up to serviceable playing status. The neighbor reports that this ancestor was Irish.

The bowl is perfect, no cracks in soundboards, and fret board is perfectly flat. Fret board appears to be rosewood. No issues. String and tuners are gone and the bridge is missing. Tailpiece looks just fine.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2675 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	135886Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2677.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	135887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2679.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	135888Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2682.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	135889Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2684.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	135890

I will try to attach pictures. Any information and help would be appreciated. I really believe this mandolin will be fine with a new set of tuners, an adjustable bridge, and some fresh strings..
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

Default Re: "Bowlback Mandolin-The Marquette- (1851?)

Biggest thing is the neck,neck angle, fingerboard, frets, etc., that's where those old mandolins need the most work.

If yours has a structurally sound neck joint and straight fingerboard, the worst is past. The neck may be flat but is it still at the right angle? It looks pretty good judging from the pictures, although there's no side view.

Best of luck.

Thanks, Mr. Brown ! I am recommending that he take the drive up to Lansing, MI to Elderly or a similar place and have it brought up to date. I really think it will pay off for him. Thanks for info. I will pass this on to him right now.

Mike
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

"Marquette" was a Lyon & Healy brand (reference from Hubert Pleijsier's book on Washburns). Apparently one of Patrick Healy's sons was named Marquette.

The mandolin looks like an early 20th century Chicago make, of modest quality, as judged by the low number of ribs in the bowl, and the general lack of inlay. No way it would be as early as 1851, when there were no major commercial mandolin builders in the US, as far as we know.

Worth fixing up? If it weren't an heirloom of my family, I'd say "no," since it's going to need replacement tuners and bridge, possibly other repairs/adjustments, and it's a <$250 mandolin after restoration. But if it has family/sentimental value, and there aren't any major structural problems, why not?

By the way: bowl-backs don't have adjustable bridges, as a rule. Bridge height on a bowl-back with a "bent" or "canted" top is generally lower than on a carved-top or flat-top, and won't accommodate the posts and adjustment wheels of a standard adjustable mandolin bridge. The non-adjustable bridge of a bowl-back needs to be adjusted to proper height by adding or subtracting wood from its base.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

5. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

I agree with Allen and David. This is a truly budget mandolin. The rosette is a decal. I would contact Eldefly before taking a trip up there to get an estimate on setup. Also that assumes that after it is strung up there will be no further issues. The luthier will have to check that the braces are all intact and firmly glued before bringing it up to full tension.

In any case they can also advise your friend on what to do.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    "Marquette" was a Lyon & Healy brand
    .....of modest quality, as judged by the low number of ribs in the bowl, and the general lack of inlay.

By the way: bowl-backs don't have adjustable bridges, as a rule. Bridge height on a bowl-back with a "bent" or "canted" top is generally lower than on a carved-top or flat-top, and won't accommodate the posts and adjustment wheels of a standard adjustable mandolin bridge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I agree with Allen and David. This is a truly budget mandolin. The rosette is a decal. I would contact Eldefly before taking a trip up there to get an estimate on setup. Also that assumes that after it is strung up there will be no further issues. The luthier will have to check that the braces are all intact and firmly glued before bringing it up to full tension.

In any case they can also advise your friend on what to do.
    Good advice.

Although this is a budget instrument, those Lyon and Healy mandolins can sound very good - sure it's a soundhole decal, but the top has nice close straight grain, that wood's pretty well aged, and assuming no MAJOR issues like loose braces, etc. the instrument may be restored at a modest cost.

Allen's comment about the lower bridges on a bowlback mandolin also ties in with my comment about the neck set angle, which has to be correct in order to set the action and bridge height.

I looked very carefully at the pictures, and the top seems intact, the back seems intact, obviously it needs tuning machines and strings and a bridge, but overall may be quite restorable. It's very similar to my next-model-or-so up Lyon and Healy, although mine has more ribs and real soundhole inlay.

9. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Regarding Jim Garber's recommendation that you call Elderly before taking the drive, they may be reluctant to give a repair estimate without first seeing the mandolin. I'm sure they'd give general advice that would be helpful, however.
    If you do take the trip to Lansing, may I suggest you speak with Arnold Hennig of Elderly's repair shop. Best of luck to your friend.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    I looked very carefully at the pictures, and the top seems intact, the back seems intact, obviously it needs tuning machines and strings and a bridge, but overall may be quite restorable.
    New tuning machines may be less trivial than it sounds: the spacings may not match those of any off-the-shelf machines, in which case you'll have to hunt around for other old basket-case L&H mandolins to scavenge tuners.

Martin