Thread: What do I need to know about guitar amps?

Default What do I need to know about guitar amps?

I've played acoustic, like, forever, but I'm just dipping my toes into electrics. What do I need to know about electric guitar amps? Are 'classic' amps like the Vox AC15 and Fender Blues Jr. all they're cracked up to be, or are you just paying an extra $400 so it won't say 'Kustom' on the label? Are boutique amps worth considering as a first amp? What's the amp equivalent of, like, a Gibson A9?

Blog Entries

Default Re: What do I need to know about guitar amps?

I am in a similar position, new to electrics, just getting into it. I got a Fender Mustang 1 amp, 20 watts good for indoors, light to carry, digitally emulates all these great classic amps I don't know as much as I should about. Also, verrrry inexpensive.

I figure once I find what I like, I can get a regular amp and go to town. Or not.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I use fender amps. Particularly a 25 year old m-80 I bought new that is my main go to amp. Obviously taste in tone is an issue. But nearly all the major brands have budget line issues that are relatively well priced.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Quote Originally Posted by SincereCorgi View Post
    I've played acoustic, like, forever, but I'm just dipping my toes into electrics. What do I need to know about electric guitar amps? Are 'classic' amps like the Vox AC15 and Fender Blues Jr. all they're cracked up to be, or are you just paying an extra $400 so it won't say 'Kustom' on the label? Are boutique amps worth considering as a first amp? What's the amp equivalent of, like, a Gibson A9?
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I am in a similar position, new to electrics, just getting into it. I got a Fender Mustang 1 amp, 20 watts good for indoors, light to carry, digitally emulates all these great classic amps I don't know as much as I should about. Also, very inexpensive.
    I play a lot of small gigs on electric guitar - and use a Mustang 1 V.2 for the smallest venues. Yes it's an inexpensive amp but it sounds good.

It's a digital modeling amp. So is my Peavey Vypyr VIP-2, which is a good all-around amp as it also has bass amp and acoustic instrument amp models. I also use a Fender Super Champ XD, which is a modeling preamp and tube power amp.

The big hype in guitar amps is "all tube" or "Class A" or whatever.

If you are going to be using a tube amp to get overdrive, turn your guitar down to "clean up" the tone, etc., like many if not most rock players, then a tube amp like the Vox, Blues Jr., etc may work.

But that brings us to tone color - those amps use EL84 tubes, which have a certain tone color. For me, the Vox and Blues Jr do not have the tone color I like, so I say they are not " all they're cracked up to be" - but the next guy will have another opinion.

I prefer a very clean amp and to use pedals or channel switching for overdrive/distortion. I also like Fender tube type sounds for most guitar styles, which means real or modeled 6L6 or 6V6 tubes.

I also like the sound of overdriven Marshalls of the late 60's and 70's, the "classic rock" tone - but only when I want that crunchy rock tone. That would be EL34 tubes or a digital sim .

So first, are you playing deathmetal, classic rock, blues, jazz, country, or a mix of many genres? I play a variety of styles so I need a versatile amp more than one dialed into a specific genre.

For me modeling amps are a great way to go. For other guys, they want the real tube feel. That why there are so many amps!

There are so many good guitar amps on the market these days, budget, boutique or big name brand. If you are just starting on electric guitar then most likely you are not going to find the perfect match between your guitar, your technique and the sound you want. It will take exploring. So I'd recommend finding something that matches your budget. Don't spend too much on your first amp.

I've got friends that love the modeling amps. I personally like a simple tube amp. Fender makes good amps and always has. But I've owned very good amps from Peavey, Roland, Crate and others. I like to get a good sound just from my guitar straight into the amp. But I've got a dozen guitars and some sound better with a certain amp and you don't know until you try. And I've got 3 amps, so depending on the gig and style of music, I grab a guitar and amp that sound good together.

If you want to save money then you can buy used. I've gotten some good deals from either Craigslist or the local pawn shop. Good luck and have fun.

I'm very pleased with my Roland Cube 40. I also bought the Roland GA-FC foot controller. I love playing my Goldtone solid body mandolin thru this rig.

7. The following members say thank you to Jon Hall for this post:

Tube versus Solid state is a bigger divide than F holes vs Oval holes.

You can get a Multi Effects Pedal and run it thru your Home stereo if you wish, it will be another Aux input.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

What's the amp equivalent of, like, a Gibson A9?
    Good question, and you could get a wide range of opinion on that. I have an Acoustic Image Corus amp that I just love for violin and archtop jazz guitar. Not so much for e-mando. Blues Jr. would be my preference; I only sold mine because I needed a line output, which the Jr. lacks. I have a couple of Roland amps that are okay: a Cube 60 and a KC 60.

I've had bad luck with cheap amps. But there are some great values out there. The guitar player in my band uses a ZT club amp, and gets a great jazzy tone.

Curious as to what instrument you'll be using it for...

I like tube amps for electric mandolin. I can't afford anything boutique, but a simple Fender Pro Junior can sound spectacular. I like a bigger cabinet myself, so I often play my pro junior through a 4X10 hot rod deville cabinet - I like the deville itself as an amp, but at home I can get more out of the smaller wattage amp without waking the neighborhood. I'd look into a used all tube amp for a starter amp. Another thing to consider is that if you're interested in electronics and can solder, you might want to build a kit amp yourself.

a tube amp has less headroom than a solid state amp generally speaking . but I prefer tubes for amp tone and crunch or distortion . but if running a lot of effects or modulators through an amp then you are better off with solid state (no tubes ) amps

12. The following members say thank you to ricomando for this post:

It really helps to know what you want your sound to be, then buy the equipment (mandolin and amp) that has as close to that sound as possible. You then need to play enough electrically you optimize that sound, which is VERY different than producing good sound acoustically.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete Martin For This Useful Post:

Pete's point is a good one. I play swing through a Polytone amp. Its great for this,
    but not good for other styles. Bad for a traditional blues jam.
    There are a lot of reviews of amps at sites like Harmony Central.
    Other reviews are available through Google. All to be taken with a grain of salt.
    Especially if the reviewer plays heavy metal
    Start with an inexpensive amp. Trying one out before you buy is essential in my opinion.

16. The following members say thank you to Joel Glassman for this post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I don't play a lot of electric so I'm sort of out of the loop on amps, but I do have a Blues Jr. Before that I had a Fender Champion 30. The Champion 30 was solid state w/ 10" speaker. It was smaller and lighter, but it did not have the warmth of the Blues Jr. tube amp w/ 12" speaker. The tone, especially when distorted, was harsher. Interestingly, the circuit was noisier--more hiss. I absolutely prefer the Blues Jr. but it cost 4x as much. I don't have an emando (yet) so I play my Tele through it.

I've owned other Fender amps like an old Pro Reverb and a Bandmaster. They all had that characteristic Fender sound. I also owned a Peavey Backstage that was a cheap solid-state practice amp. Nothing that I would use onstage. A friend of mine has a Vox AC15 that he likes a lot.
    Living’ in the Mitten

18. The following members say thank you to Steve Ostrander for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    I also owned a Peavey Backstage that was a cheap solid-state practice amp.
    For clean sounds only I have used a 70's Peavey Backstage ON stage.

The big difference if guitarists' view on amps really breaks down into 2 camps - those that play with a clean amp and often can use SS amps with good results (me included) getting OD from pedals, and those that like "the warmth" of a tube amp and "especially when distorted" like and make use of the overdrive that tubes give when cranked.

The second sort of players often "clean up" the tone by rolling off the volume on the guitar, and typically are "tubes only" guys.

It's a matter of taste.

Quote Originally Posted by SincereCorgi View Post
    Hey Corgi!

I play 4 & 5 string tenor guitar mostly......I took the plunge into amplification about 9 yrs ago....amp-wise I currently use a '65 magnatone 431 and a vox valvetronix vt20+... Thru a pedalboard with an acoustic preamp, overdrive, vibrato/tremolo, and reverb pedals.

I try to remember the following few (hard won) lessons...

1. Vanity, Vanity.... All instruments and equipment should be tested in the dark - in the end i really don't care what my stuff looks like. I care a lot about how it sounds and feels.

2. I struggle to follow my musical interests .... I try to be idiosyncratic. .... Remember to insist on it.

3. Sometimes the music pushes me to pursue an instrument or piece of equpiment, sometimes an instrument or piece of equipment opens a door music-wise... I try to stay open to both.

4. I try to be be brave in my choices - failure is the best teacher and is often more trustworthy than success.

Basically i learned the same things while aquiring my acoustic instruments.....

Happy hunting Corgi!

MdJ

21. The following members say thank you to MdJ for this post:

For rock, blues, metal, etc. (somewhat distorted, not clean, sound) a guitar amp is more important by far than the guitar. There are amplifier technologies with distinctive "distortion" or "breakup" sounds. Fender and Marshall are two important types. Mostly, you need to figure out what you want to sound like (or who). There are a million youtube videos with people playing guitar through various amps so that could be helpful.

23. The following members say thank you to Marc Katz for this post:

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

How loud do you need it?

What sound do you want? Jazz rock, blues, metal, etc

How much are you carrying it around?

Do you like tubes or solid state?

What's your budget?
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Katz View Post
    For rock, blues, metal, etc. (somewhat distorted, not clean, sound) a guitar amp is more important by far than the guitar. There are amplifier technologies with distinctive "distortion" or "breakup" sounds. Fender and Marshall are two important types. Mostly, you need to figure out what you want to sound like (or who). There are a million youtube videos with people playing guitar through various amps so that could be helpful.
    You have a point. If you do play the style that uses an amp to get the distortion, the amp is more important than the guitar!

Try this.

Take a great guitar and plug it into a cheap amp.

Take a cheap guitar and plug it into a really good amp.

Which one sounds better?

26. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

MdJ 

If you like a clean sound with your mando--go for a Roland--they make several amps with great clean sounds.
    And my JC-60 takes pedals well if you want dirt.

But a small tube amp can be nice as well.

I all depends on what you like, how much you have to spend & if weight is an issue.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

28. The following members say thank you to zedmando for this post: