Thread: Lueez Mandocellos? (Need help!) MandoCelloQuest!

Question Lueez Mandocellos? (Need help!) MandoCelloQuest!

Hey all! It's been awhile. I've been playing electric mandola in a jazz/funk group the last coupla years, and now I plan on selling everything non-musical, and going cross country doing Americana blues stuff with a drummer and I. For this, I need a mandocello - so I'm exploring my cheapest route to obtaining one. I've been currently looking to buy a cheap acoustic guitar and convert it to a 10 string with a luthier up here (Northern Vermont), but recently came across these insanely (almost unbelievably) cheap Lueez Mandocellos.

Anyone know anything about Lueez instruments? Im curious if it's worth burnin' the money on.. if it's a good instrument, it will definitely keep me going and the money flowin

~Hank
    ~Henry Clark

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Re: Lueez Mandocellos? (Need help!) MandoCelloQuest!

Wow!! seems to good to be true?

Antonio Tsai specials... BEWARE!

The woods used in these instruments are not treated correctly and, therefore, they generally end up as firewood within a couple months of purchase. Beware! I'd suggest an Eastman/Ovation mandocello for your cheapest routes (~$2k) or a conversion mandocello from a guitar.
    Theo Wecker
    www.theowecker.com

Currently waxing poetic about:
    2008 Weber Buffalo
    2016 Collings MT
    2016 Martin D-18

Vietnamese stuff made in an open air factory - no humidity control. The wood is green, and they have many troubles. I'd skip it.

One odd option: here in Portugal locally made mandocellos are pretty inexpensive. I want to say as low as €500 (and the Euro is weak these days). Their mandocellos tend to be seven-string, having a single on the bass, but otherwise pretty much like we're used to.

Might to hurt to drop a line to Porto Guitarra up in Porto. Great shop, and the owner is a cool guy who speaks English. If you ping him he might could tell you what his more affordable models are and how much shipping would be.

Okay, I checked in on it today, and it's actually €750 for their standard mandocello, which is a teardrop-shaped seven string (single course on the lowest, apparently common here). Shipping to the US would be about €90, but fortunately the Euro is barely more than the dollar at the moment.

I tried playing it and was pretty pleased for the price, nice and resonant. The owner said that if you want a different sound, flat-wound strings give it a totally different character, taking off a lot of the high-end harmonics and giving it a character akin to an upright bass.

I have a photo of the mandocello at the local shop if you'd like me to post it.

Consider Soares'y Portuguese-made instruments; crude, sometimes weird, a wide variety available including mandocellos. Here's an acoustic/electric that emando.com had for sale for $400.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM