Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: band saw vibration

Default band saw vibration

I have an 18" Jet bandsaw which I've been very happy with for years. Over the past several months I've been noticing a vibration like something is unbalanced. I cleaned it out of all the dust, wiped off the wheels and checked the tires. Still there. Doesn't seem to be there at start-up until the rpm's get up, or when the rpm's slow down after its turned off.
    Any thoughts before I tear it down to check the bearings would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. The following members say thank you to David Houchens for this post:

Default Re: band saw vibration

Also I don't hear any bearing noise.

Is it a fast vibration like a resonance or is it more like a wheel out of balance? Have you changed the blade and is it still there?

5. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Have you changed blades since this started? Checked all connections/ bolts/ screws? I have a 20" Snowflake that makes a horrendous harmonic vibration as it comes up to speed, even though it passes the nickel test. Then it's silent. And it doesn't make it when it slows down, so I figure it's a torque issue, some twisting somewhere. And nothing to worry about. Also, with yours, does it sound like it's vibrating or can you feel it? I'd also pull the blade off and see if it goes away. That would help isolate or eliminate stuff.

7. The following members say thank you to Dale Ludewig for this post:

Jeez, John. We were typing at the same time and thinking the same thing!

9. The following members say thank you to Dale Ludewig for this post:

Mandolin & Mandola maker

I had a similar problem that was driving me crazy, tried everything. Eventually traced it to the blade was not quite perfectly centred on the wheels. Just a mm or so out was enough to cause the vibration, does not take much. Had been working perfectly for years and I had not touched the adjustment.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

11. The following members say thank you to peter.coombe for this post:

Could be a belt, too. Can you feel a "land" in the belt when you rotate it by hand? If so, a new belt or one of those link-belts might solve it. Hopefully it's just a wonky blade.

13. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

I had a vibration on my Jet that ended up being the tire on drive wheel that was old and lost a couple hunks on inside edge..they weren't noticeable with blade on ..but could feel them with blade off..

15. The following members say thank you to MANNDOLINS for this post:

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

I don't know bandsaws; but a belt problem can also be a pulley problem. Wear, tension, or guides on a belt. Wear, grooving edge of pulley, Intact belt can be one side worn, with pulley worn. Belt guides if any. Stretched belt.
    good luck.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

17. The following members say thank you to MysTiK PiKn for this post:

Switching to a poly link belt can be a real vibration reducer too.
    Steve

"They're approaching. That's very forward of them."

19. The following members say thank you to SGraham for this post:

It shakes the table noticeably. Seems it did it with the last blade but my memory is questionable. I will try it with the blade off, since this is my last one here. The belt was loser than I would have liked so I thought I'd found it but tightening didn't help. I'll look at the belt and pulleys as well. Thanks for the input. Some days the ol grey matter needs a good shaking.

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

shakes table? something bent, out of balance.

Bent shaft? , play in bearing,

play in pulley shaft.

Sometimes if you have a manual, it will outline troubleshoots.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

So off topic slightly, could one use a scroll saw for such applications?

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne-N-OnlyHomer View Post
    So off topic slightly, could one use a scroll saw for such applications?
    A few of them. Scroll saws are much slower, have less capacity and less power, so they aren't suited for many of the heavier tasks for which we use bandsaws.

I run my 30" Yates snowflake with a vfd primarily for power conversion, but one of the great benefits is that I can vary the speed to bypass any minor vibrations that come up at certain frequencies. I had an old Delta saw that had a vibration that gradually got worse and it wound up being the key that held in the rear pulley was coming loose.

Notice the responses- John, Dale, and I all have giant old Yates bandsaws. Ditch the Jet and come on over to the darkside and you'll never regret it!

j.
    www.condino.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yates Y30 snowflake.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	135656  

working for the mando.... Bluetickhound's Avatar

Wow! How much does one of those behemoths weigh??
    "A creative man is driven by the the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."

Rayburn Mandolins
    https://m.facebook.com/rayburnmandol...urce=typeahead

Somewhere I've posted a picture of my 20" on the cafe. I can't figure out how to find the image right now. James has a 30". Much heavier. I'll bet mine weighs 800 lbs, but I've never weighed it. It may weigh more. I know you need a forklift to move mine. I think John's may be even heavier. This old industrial machinery isn't for everyone. But the stuff is pretty good quality. My bandsaw was made pre-WWII. It has aluminum wheel covers. After the war started, all aluminum went to airplanes and such. My jointer is from 1918. It just sits there and purrs. It will also hurt you and not notice.

27. The following members say thank you to Dale Ludewig for this post:

The new Grizzly 17", 19", 21", and 24" saws are really beautiful. They range from $1300 - 3000. I've bought a few of them for various shops. Blade change with the flip of a lever and so rigid and nicely made no bearing realignment or wheel re-tracking is necessary as long as it's a new blade of the same spec. I used to work in a shop with an old Oliver 30", but I'd never want one of the old American ones over one of the new Grizzlies -- other than aesthetics and wow factor, which of course are unparalleled in those old works of art.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    I'd never want one of the old American ones over one of the new Grizzlies...
    I find that interesting, considering mine was well under $1000, can do everything from resawing over 12" widths to cutting tiny details. There's far more to this saw than aesthetics and wow factor.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spruce..jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	375.6 KB 
ID:	135674Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resaw.web.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	135675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	penny_hole.web.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	135676

Well, yeah, mass is good, until you have to move it. Stiffness is critical, too. If I can get similar stiffness and lower mass, I'm all for it. These Grizzly saws are adequately stiff, and reasonably light for the jobs they can accomplish. Even for cutting steel, which we do regularly.

I also have a 18" Jet. Recently I started to have a vibration issue. The tires aren't glued and while it appeared visually to be fine I think it must have stretched some over time. Replacing the tires corrected the problem.

32. The following members say thank you to barney 59 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    ...mass is good, until you have to move it...
    No big deal, just need the right equipment. Mine is in a shipping container "as we speak", strapped in and ready for a 400 mile truck ride. I wouldn't think of leaving it behind!

James, I'd love one but too many things on the list ahead of it. Those big saws would go through the floor of my shop. Thats why my milling machine is in another shop at my folks home. First what I'd like is a new shop. Some day maybe when money is flowing better.
    Barney, I'll give the tires a real good look. If I can't find anything else wrong, I'll just order them and see. The urethane tires run from around $40 - $60. Not to bad for the time they last.

working for the mando.... Bluetickhound's Avatar

Yeah, I'd love to have one of those old saws but I'm working out of a cramped garage right now and will be building (read:having a prefab building installed... lulz!!) a workshop in the backyard soon. The flooring wouldn't support something like that. The folks at Highland Hardware in Atlanta are about to be making a ton of money off of me in the next month or so. With some room to put stuff I have a laundry list of machines I'd like to upgrade, most notably my Rikon 10" saw... (The 14" pro model will be a welcome upgrade), an honest to goodness jointer, and a quality drill press are on the list along with dust collection equipment.

Yeah.... I'm hooked.
    "A creative man is driven by the the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."

Rayburn Mandolins
    https://m.facebook.com/rayburnmandol...urce=typeahead

I also had a Pac-Rim bandsaw (Ryobi 14") that I was very unhappy with. It was built so lightly that I couldn't get it into balance; it shuddered and screamed and wobbled and wandered. I replaced it with a 1940's Delta 14" for $200. What a difference. It runs smoothly, is easy to set up, stays set up, tracks very well while resawing, and is just plain a pleasure to use. I learned that the older American tools are very much worth looking into. They often need only a bit of cleaning and some bearings. Anyways, I'm cheap, and I'm drawn toward cheap solutions.
    Steve

"They're approaching. That's very forward of them."