Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery busking/session amp.

Default Battery busking/session amp.

A bit of context, the Monday night band I play with is long on rhythm, anything up to half a dozen guitars, two or three banjos and a double bass, but light on tune players me on the mandolin a fiddle and whistle or melodeon on a good day, next week it might be just me. In rehearsals (which is pretty much all we do) I am pretty much drowned out, unless I tremolo everything, and the Octave is inaudible if I am using that.

So I am thinking about a battery amp, I know this has been asked before but it seems not for a while, any suggestions? Here's a few I have come up with :-

Fender Passport Mini -good price in the UK not keen on C batteries, is it loud enough? How is it with an acoustic instrument?

Roland Mobile AC -still a decent price, looks like a boom box/Brixton Briefcase/Shouting Suitcase. Again loud enough?

Roland AC33 -expensive over here, but otherwise looks good.

For now I am using an old stick on Piezo, tested on my old Park valve amp -maybe that and a generator

Default Re: Battery busking/session amp.

I like the specs of that AC33, wouldn't mind one of those. I have a trusty ol' Roland Micro Cube which wouldn't likely be loud enough for you, but speaks well of Roland's battery amp quality.
    Blow on, man.

3. The following members say thank you to spufman for this post:

derbex 

I love my Roland AC-33. 30 loud watts plugged in, 20 loud watts on batteries and it has a very natural sound.
    I haven't tried the other two choices.
    Mark Levesque and Judy Handler
    International and Classical Music
    http://www.judyandmark.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acousticblend
    The New American Mandolin Ensemble on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4L...uROoOXFj6GVSg/

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Levesque For This Useful Post:

You list pretty small Battery powered amps from International companies

There may be European Higher powered Amps we dont get, from Asia..

like all those actually Made within the EU.

Studio recording sound quality may need a different amp entirely ..

Traded the Battery amp I had to a friend for his whole Jazz LP collection, he took it to
    Kosrae and left it on that equatorial Pacific Island.

the 220v mains there is different too.. different generators then too..
    Last edited by mandroid; Jun-19-2015 at 3:01pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

I'm really fond of my Pignose Hog 30. That's 30 watts of whoa! It doesn't run on batteries per se, but a built-in battery unit which you charge up. I don't know how long it lasts because I've never run it down. It may be a bit hefty for your purposes, and I imagine the shipping for it will be pricey, but once you have it I think you will be pleased.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Blog Entries

You can get an inverter to run any favourite mains amp from a 12v battery so you're not limited to any given type. If you box up the battery and inverter in one unit with a carry handle it's fairly neat to transport.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    I'm really fond of my Pignose Hog 30. That's 30 watts of whoa! It doesn't run on batteries per se, but a built-in battery unit which you charge up. I don't know how long it lasts because I've never run it down. It may be a bit hefty for your purposes, and I imagine the shipping for it will be pricey, but once you have it I think you will be pleased.
    That's a lot of horsepower there JB. I checked website for piggeez. They've grown. I've never seen a 20 or a 30. Note the 20 weighs 15 pounds. The 30 is 30 pounds. That's some difference altho some would be the larger enclosure, and likely the magnet on the larger spkr.
    Go big or stay home, eh.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

There are very few problems in life that can't be solved with another mandolin. Rather than worrying about amps and batteries, it sounds like what you need is a resonator!
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

11. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MysTiK PiKn View Post
    That's a lot of horsepower there JB. I checked website for piggeez. They've grown. I've never seen a 20 or a 30. Note the 20 weighs 15 pounds. The 30 is 30 pounds. That's some difference altho some would be the larger enclosure, and likely the magnet on the larger spkr.
    Go big or stay home, eh.
    Ha ha ha! Yes to all of that. Thing is, I've had a few battery amps along the way - The Mouse by Lectronics (discontinued), Peavey Auditon 20 (currently in limbo with a funky input jack), now The Hog. The thing about this is it was a yard sale purchase, my best ever. The guy was selling it because "we only used it to do karoke [sic] but the wife don't wanna anymore." Asking price: $20. I hemmed and hawed a bit, but he seemed firm. So I went for it. He was so pleased he said, "Hol' on a minute," went inside and got the mic and cord, saying, "I don't need this anymore, You can have it." It was a Shure SM58. I bungied the amp to my bike, and when I got home, looked it up online. The sale price at Musician's Friend for this gear was over $400!

Yes, it's probably too much for the OP's needs. Something a bit smaller and less obtrusive might be better. I'll tell you, though - that Mouse was a fine product. It had a really nice warm sound, even when I used the overdrive switch. I used this in my first recording sessions, even on some pretty seriously rocked out stuff, and I'm glad I did - those tracks sound good to me even now.

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Sadly resonators are rare over here -just the Ashbury ones are common and they sound like getting your teeth drilled. If anyone has an RM-1 they're looking to get rid of...

I did look at the Pignose, but like you say a bit heavy -and I thought they were for rocking out with?

There's one chap locally that uses an AC33 in a session, I'm not sure how many people realise as he keeps it in his back pack -but the little read light tells the story.

The smaller Pignose has guitar strap buttons, so you can wear It and play with your instrument on its strap ,

Pix: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/045...g?v=1398201904

DIY? there is the schematic.. too http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...gnose7-100.gif

Until I looked , Little did I Know that such an amp could also Be a Built in ..
    http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/a...nose_pgg200cs/
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/other-gui...uitar-day.html
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by derbex View Post
    Sadly resonators are rare over here -just the Ashbury ones are common and they sound like getting your teeth drilled. If anyone has an RM-1 they're looking to get rid of...
    Well, it's not a National, but it is significantly cheaper: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/84998
    But if affording a National is no issue, this one is awfully cool: http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/86574
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by derbex View Post
    I did look at the Pignose, but like you say a bit heavy -and I thought they were for rocking out with?
    Sure, and it has a funk-bass switch (some kind of overdrive), but it has three tone controls as well as pre- and post-gain controls, so it's pretty versatile. I used it at an Italian restaurant gig, background music in the large dining room, and it carried without being overwhelming. I also used it while busking sometimes, for which I cranked it a bit more to carry over the street noise. Worked fine in both settings.

But yes, it's overkill for a session. They'll probably bar you at the door if you were to bring one.

There's one chap locally that uses an AC33 in a session, I'm not sure how many people realise as he keeps it in his back pack -but the little red light tells the story.
    Ha! Sneaky but smart.

17. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

derbex 

My wife and I use a Roland BA330 for gigs -- it's a 40-watt amp and can run either AC or batteries (8 AA batteries). It's the same wattage on batteries or on AC (unlike the smaller AC33), it's got 2 inputs which can accept either 1/4" or XLR cables and are switchable between mic level or amp level plus it's got 2 other stereo channels which can accept either stereo output from an instrument or will allow two instruments to be plugged into the same channel (only 1 volume knob for each stereo channel though so it's not quite as flexible as a true mixer would be), allowing for up to 6 instruments to be plugged in at once. It's got a separate mp3 player stereo input with its own level control, and can work as a master/slave with another BA330 for true stereo separation and twice the sound and twice the inputs. My wife plays violin with a Fishman pickup (the kind that slips into the bridge) and I play either an Epiphone mandolin with the built-in pickup or an Alvarez-Yairi acoustic with a Fishman tone-hole pickup. The sound is very natural, the amp has a speaker-stand hole in the bottom so it's easy to put up high for better projection and it also has a kick-stand so it can lean backwards on the floor if you don't want to put it on a speaker stand. It's worth checking out as a great battery-powered amp for busking or for small/medium size rooms.

19. The following members say thank you to dhbailey for this post:

derbex 

I was just looking at these Traynors a couple days ago. Has a built in battery and supposed to work for 5 hrs

https://www.long-mcquade.com/826/Gui..._Wedge_Amp.htm
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

See if you can find a used Fender Amp Can; they're not made any more but there should be some cropping up on eBay etc.

I've owned two of them for the past decade or more; they're rechargeable, two-channel ("Inst" and "Mic"), have simple rotary tone controls (and a distortion button for the "Inst" channel, if you want to gross everyone out). Plenty loud (I use them with low-Z mics and line transformers, never turned the volume over "3"), go several hours on a charge. Small, not too heavy, and an Amp Can is my everyday PA for seniors' residences, etc.

Here's one on eBay for around $100.

Consideration: you say you have a "Monday night band" in which no one else is amplified. Once you become the first "plugged in" member, beware that others may emulate you, and you'll have the same problem you have now, only at higher volumes.

The alternative is to get the others to "throttle back" when you're taking a break or playing the melody. That's really not an impossible task, if your band-mates care about the group's overall sound.

Or, you could assassinate one or two guitarists and/or banjoists. Or start a spin-off band.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

22. The following members say thank you to allenhopkins for this post:

Thanks Allen, I don't think the Amp Cans made it over here -at least a search on UK ebay doesn't turn anything up.

I understand the arms race concept -but I think there's general agreement at the moment that I could do with being a bit louder, helps the rhythm section hear the tune, the violin and whistle can be a bit 'slurred', at times I get lost following them and I have the dots in front of me (could be part of the problem).

I have heard a few Banjolins but they aren't my cup of tea. If I have to I can get the tenor banjo out, it's not too raucous, but it doesn't suit every tune.

We're a pretty unsophisticated band, tends to be all or nothing, although there are a few tunes where I get a solo, 'Idbury Hill' and 'O'carolans Draught' are two.

24. The following members say thank you to derbex for this post:

Banjo mandolin might be loud enough, they can get quite loud and they are not that expensive.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

26. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

derbex 

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I have heard only good things about the AER compact mobile lots of watts but really expensive
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

28. The following members say thank you to darrylicshon for this post:

derbex 

Was trying to think of that brand, yea something made in Europe and paying decent Wages and Benefits,

will cost more than another product made in a country cutting those overhead costs as much as Possible ..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...154+3804773672

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...oustic_pa.html
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

http://www.roland.co.uk/products/kc-110/

I only got to a-b it once against the AC33 and I thought it was a little stronger though they are similar the KC110 has tweeters too … it has more versatile inputs though and I use a Zoom multi effects, stereo output pedal to get my tone and FX… which is really nice because it has noise gate, compression, amp models, 6 band eq, delay, reverb etc etc etc… and sounds great ...it's amazing how much stereo adds even though the speakers aren't that separated… I don't care for Rolands built in Reverb/chorus anyway.
    WesBrandtLuthier.com
    BrandtViols.com

& it lacks a Feedback supressor .. Keyboard MIDI, signal generators are Not subject

to the mechanical feedback of a Stringed acoustic Instrument

But it has a Mic input in channel one )
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Your right but pair it with this pedal and you have way more in depth a system including feed back busting

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...#productDetail

Plus I didn't realize it but the KC 110 has a much larger cabinet, 4 speakers… and the two woofers look to be larger that the AC 33.

I'm totally into Zoom FX though you can get a very pure acoustic sound as well.
    WesBrandtLuthier.com
    BrandtViols.com

Blog Entries

Just to be sure you are solving the right problem. Does the rest of the band value your contribution enough to quiet it down a bit so you can be heard?

Something else to think about - a mandolin is louder in front of it and the player often does not hear enough of the sound. Do others not hear you as well? One way to check is to stand in the corner of the room and play into the corner. If you sound so much better than usual, it may be that everyone hears you fine but you.

Third idea - a ToneGard. The tone gard really works, boosting your volume merely by keeping the back of the instrument off your body. Depending how you hold the mandolin, this may really make a big difference.

I am not trying to talk you out of an amp, but my experience is that playing with an amp encourages other amps, and then balancing all the sound becomes an issue and you need a sound man and soon enough it is no longer simple to "just play a tune".

I have an amp, and I use it solo sometimes, on a stage or with an amplified acoustic guitar, but I try not to need it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

34. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

derbex 

Crate makes (or did anyway) a couple of nice battery powered amps - the TX15 Taxi and the TX50 Limo. I played through the Taxi and it sounded quite nice. Looks like you'll have to get it second hand though, as Musicians Friend lists is as unavailable.