Thread: My 'new' bowlback

Default My 'new' bowlback

So my 'new' bowlback has arrived. It's new to me but very old - a vintage Ceccherini restored by Tavy. I'm just getting to grips with it and have already fallen for its sweet, sweet tones. They are slippery beasts, bowlbacks, but Tavy has made this helpful video, and I'm sure he won't mind me giving this link...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=mlnUGKXjWJE

I've also bought some of that non-slip shelf liner, as recommended by Forum members in my previous post, when I asked 'Do I need a bowlback?' I have already bought a replacement hardcase, as the original one was very flimsy, although it had protected the Ceccherini for the best part of a hundred years. The old case will be filed away for future generations.
    Thanks to Tavy for his restoration, and to Forum members Martin Jonas and Sherrie for their advice and encouragement. Now let me get back to perfecting Neapolitan Tarantella...
    Eastman 504, Eastman 305, Grafton P-200 open back mandolin banjo

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Default Re: My 'new' bowlback

Congratulation on your Ceccherini. Those are highly thought of. I saw some of those in the bowlbacks thread (I think in Vintage forum). I just picked up a Puglisi but it's not a bowlback - kinda one of a kind. Can't find much info on it beyond a Mandolin Cafe general post from 2004 archives. It was wallhangered for last 20 yrs; so I'm cleaning it up, doing some minor repairs. It had a protective layer of dust. Should be playable soon. I fell in love with it in an ad; had to have it. I blew a tuner peg button, broke in half - should be a reglue to fix that. It's also circa 1906-09. It's quite unique but I think more of a midrange instrument - not a lot of frills. Some of them are very highly decorated (esp. bowlbacks). Mine has some nice simple decor - I just like looking at olde wood. It has a "Patentato" stamp on it, label inside. It sounds really woody; but the trebles are there too. It's not really a flatback either - the back is arched, but tapers to the heel, and the top is mainly flat. All original stuff on it - strings seemed original also Those are gone. I picked up strings, by accident, didn't notice the gauge - before I bought them, which is interesting, didn't know I was going to buy a Puglisi. Weird custom gauge ErnieBall strings. gauges 9-13-22-34, and labelled "lights". Those should be pretty easy on the olde tonewood. Did a little clean up and fret filed very slightly - more like "shining" them. Needs a tailpiece repair. I think it will be my "parlour mandothingy". It needs a name. It's posted in Builders forum w lots of pix.

Anyway, have fun with the 100+ yr club. Good idea to keep that case for "collectors value". It's condition is less important than it's originality.

Cheers, thx for posting.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

3. The following members say thank you to MysTiK PiKn for this post:

Congrats .... That was my first Mandolin...I miss it !
    My Romeo is a Weber Gallatin F w/0val hole

Quote Originally Posted by Tezzerh View Post
    So my 'new' bowlback has arrived. It's new to me but very old - a vintage Ceccherini restored by Tavy. I'm just getting to grips with it and have already fallen for its sweet, sweet tones. They are slippery beasts, bowlbacks, but Tavy has made this helpful video, and I'm sure he won't mind me giving this link...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=mlnUGKXjWJE

I've also bought some of that non-slip shelf liner, as recommended by Forum members in my previous post, when I asked 'Do I need a bowlback?'
    Congratulations -- great choice for a first bowlback! As to the holding question, even with the positions shown in Tavy's video, most players find they still need the non-slip mat as well.

Martin

6. The following members say thank you to Martin Jonas for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Jonas View Post
    Congratulations -- great choice for a first bowlback!

Martin
    So what should be my choice for my NEXT bowlback, Martin? LOL

Blog Entries

Enjoy that Ceccherini. It can do it all.

I particularly like the sound of a bowl. Its so very musical, almost, in my mind, like a singing voice. Delicate and intimate when you want, or bold and dramatic like a rock and roll ballad, if needed.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Congratulations on your new old bowlback, you'll love it even more the more you play it.

Ceccherini bowlbacks have a chiming sound that's all their own. I assume yours has the double soundboard, as do most examples.
    Don't worry about your second one; it'll come along soon enough. The one you have to worry about is the one that sends you into double digit territory. (Every new order of magnitude is scary. Eventually they take over all available space. Ask Jim Garber, if you can find him under all those cases . . .)

So very true..........
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

Did I hear someone say "double soundboard"? (more info?)

I can't even imagine what that might mean?
    Only in Ceccherini? Priceless.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

Double soundboard? Apparently so. But Tavy and Martin Jonas know far more about this than I do. I only bought it! Over to those two...

Quote Originally Posted by MysTiK PiKn View Post
    That was a patented system by Ceccherini and not found in any other bowlbacks. It's very much like the Virzi in Loar-era Gibsons, except 20-odd years earlier -- a thin unvarnished sheet of spruce suspended underneath the main soundboard. It's slightly smaller than the soundboard itself, and attaches to the braces with little wooden tags, but is not fixed to the sides of the bowl. There's also a small round soundhole in it. As it's hidden on the inside, you can't tell it's there unless you closely look into the soundhole. The idea is that the sympathetic vibrations in the suspended second soundboard create a more complex frequency spectrum.

Martin

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MysTiK PiKn View Post

I can't even imagine what that might mean?
    Only in Ceccherini? Priceless.
    MysTik, the instrument that Terry bought from me is the one in this thread.

Seems like all the Ceccherini's had a second soundboard suspended below the top, so far I've had 3 Ceccherini's and they're all different: double top on the first one was described in this thread, it has a second sound board that runs from the sound hole all the way back to the tailpiece. The one I'm working on now is similar but has 4 holes in the second soundboard:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resonator.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	135710

Terry's one has a shorter internal soundboard that runs from the sound hole and stops just short of the cant in the top.

Sound wise, I think Terry had slightly the better of the first two, the third is more of a "pro" spec instrument so it'll be interesting to see how it compares.

HTH, John.

17. The following members say thank you to Tavy for this post: