Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ...and I am still in the hunt!!!

Default Re: ...and I am still in the hunt!!!

Dont get an MK ....they are beautiful but mine was so "toy" sounding that I wouldn't even play it..... I went with a Weber Gallatin and extremely happy with it !
    My Romeo is a Weber Gallatin F w/0val hole

2. The following members say thank you to Shari Windsor for this post:

@MandolinGypsy7 - thanks for the heads up on the MK. Checked the Weber's - very nice but really don't want to spend more then a $1000 on my first mando. Have played acoustic guitar for over 40+ years, teaching myself mando on a co-workers mando . It took me about 40 years to pull the trigger and buy my Martin D-18. Shoot, I ain't gettin' any younger, maybe I should just bite the bullet and buy a $2000 + mandolin!!!

Dennis @ The Mandolin Store has 1 of the Eastman 515 "Blems" in stock. I've bought from Dennis before and I know he would not be selling these mandolins unless he knew the Blems were minor and there were no structural defects. $749 delivered for a 515, that's going to be hard to beat. If I didn't already have an 815V I would jump on that. http://themandolinstore.com/product/md515-blem/

Randy

@Randy Linam - on the fence about the "blem" . Would be nice if there were pictures of this Eastman 515 (showing the defect) and not stock photos. So ready to pull the trigger on any mando at this point. Have even downsized my wishlist. Thinking more and more about going with a Kentucky 252 but man, I really want an F-style. I just keep going back and forth about the price difference between the 2 styles. And what would be the better style mando for bluegrass, folk? Is there really any difference in sound between the A and the F? So many questions in my mind. Feeling overwhelmed in making a decision.

I'd check the Olde Town Pickin' Parlor in Arvada, great selection of Mandolins and Nice folks. I go there whenever I get that far North. They have a black two point I have developed a lust for.
    Jim Richmond

7. The following members say thank you to Jim for this post:

If you have any questions about the blem, I would suggest calling The Mandolin Store and asking for more info. I bought my mandolin there, and found them to be very helpful.

The A vs. F debate is a frequent topic on this site. The general consensus is that there is no difference in the sound quality, and the F style scroll adds considerable expense to the cost of making a mandolin. You will get a lot more bang for the buck by purchasing an A vs. an F. But there is no denying the aesthetic allure of an F, many find them to be extremely appealing.

The standard rule of thumb is that an F model mandolin is about twice as expensive as a guitar of the same quality. So if you drop $1000 on a F, it would be around the same quality as a $500 guitar. You can get a decent guitar for $500, but it's not going to sound the same as your Martin.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

9. The following members say thank you to Austin Bob for this post:

@Jim - I will have to go to Arvada this weekend. BonCarbo,CO? Isn't that near the New Mexico border? You are far South!!! Thanks for the suggestion. In the meantime, I think I will try to get ahold of Dennis @ the Mandolin Store about the Eastman 515 that is on sale. Might pull the trigger on that if it sounds like a good deal.

@Austin Bob - thanks for the info. Interesting about the price, the standard rule of thumb. So basically if I wanted to get a mando with the same quality as my Martin I would have to spend around $5000!!!!! Say what?! I wonder why the cost is so much more. SInce their are no differences in sound between an A and an F, although I am sure there are those here who would argue that, maybe I should save some dollars and get an A. But , darn it, its that darn scroll on the F!!!! It's like some beacon that sends out a mind warping signal!!! A or F? Why is this so hard for a first time mando buyer?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Espresso Geek View Post
    @Austin Bob - thanks for the info. Interesting about the price, the standard rule of thumb. So basically if I wanted to get a mando with the same quality as my Martin I would have to spend around $5000!!!!! Say what?! I wonder why the cost is so much more. SInce their are no differences in sound between an A and an F, although I am sure there are those here who would argue that, maybe I should save some dollars and get an A. But , darn it, its that darn scroll on the F!!!! It's like some beacon that sends out a mind warping signal!!! A or F? Why is this so hard for a first time mando buyer?!!!
    EG, much of the cost can be attributed to the effort it takes to carve the top. If you compare the price of a flat top guitar to that of a carved arch top, you'll see a big difference.

Lots of bang for the buck with an A. It took me as long to finally get my Gibson F5 as it did you to get your Martin. But like you I always wanted one even though I had a perfectly nice A. In the end, it's your money and your decision.

Mandolin Dreams Unlimited MysTiK PiKn's Avatar

The weird markets I shop in break all the rules. Never mind double the cost - omg.

There's a lot of miles between Kt252, or whatever, and the East 515.

Also, it has been proven, once you start thinking you want an Fstyle, there will be no peace in the universe until ...

My rule is always cheat as much as possible - go get what you want and don't pay what they want. Simple. Aim higher. Pay lower.

Any questions?

One other thing, you can shop and research yourself into 'burnout' at which point you are willing to make a bad decision due to general fatigue. Go have fun, try some, try a bunch. Walk away. The one that calls you back, or won't let you leave, is the one.
    Having said that - one time I was ready to sell the farm on one - walked away, came back, tried it again - and it sucked dead wookies. do a reality check, anyway that works for you.

Cheers.

= The Loar, LM700VS c.2013 = "The Brat"
    = G. Puglisi, "Roma" c.1907 = "Patentato" - rare archBack, canted top, oval
    = Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

"The intellect is a boring load of crawp. Aye. Next wee chune".

14. The following members say thank you to MysTiK PiKn for this post:

The search continues , but, I have narrowed the field. Want to go with an F-style mando.
    Looking now at the Eastman MD515. Just as I was ready to pull the trigger, checked the Mandolin Store and they are sold out!!! Felt comfortable about making a purchase there without seeing the mando because of all the great comments here. Thoughts in the back of my mind are perhaps now going with an A-style, maybe the Kentucky KM 252 or the Eastman MD505. Then I thought about The Loar LM400. Anybody have any experience with The Loar? And what would be a good substitute F-style for the Eastman MD 515 ? Then I saw , elsewhere, Michael Kelly mandolins. Look nice but haven't heard anything on the Michael Kelly mandos. I know you all have your favs but some more input on the aforementioned mandos would help me to narrow the field again. But perhaps, I should just wait for the Eastman MD515 to become available again? And another question - what exactly does it mean when the description on a mandolin is graduated? Is this important and does it change the tonal characteristics of the mando? Just curious. I await your opinions and thanks in advance for all the great info here!!! After 40+ years of acoustic guitar, teaching myself mando is like a breath of fresh air!!!
    I have a great sounding and looking 2014 MD505 for sale.

16. The following members say thank you to nick hyserman for this post:

@MysTiK PiKin - Your advice is very sound and much appreciated. And your point about once you start thinking F style there is no peace in the universe.... priceless!!! And I do believe I have reached the point of "burnout" !!! I certainly don't want to make a bad decision. Perhaps I need to quit looking and researching daily and give all this a rest for awhile. Have now checked out a few local music stores, nothing appealing to me in any. And the staff at those stores really had nothing knowledgeable to say about mandos based upon there answers to my questions. They all kept trying to steer me into buying a new Martin or Taylor guitar. Say what? How did we go from talking about mandos to guitars? And yes, some mighty nice Martins there, but I already have a D-18!!! Have just contacted the Mandolin Store via email with questions. I am somewhat interested in the Eastman MD515 with the "blem" that they have for sale. Would prefer to check out these mandos in person but I fear locally the selection and knowledge about mandos is pretty much non-exsistent. I feel fairly comfortable about the Mandolin Store as members here in the forum speak very high praise about them. In the meantime, I will continue to play and learn on the mando I borrowed from a coworker. But would love to hear more input from members here. Thanks for you great thoughts and info!!

@nick hyserman - thanks for the offer of the Eastman MD505. Will have to give it some thought. Kinda of have my heart set on a F style at this point. That darn scroll is like some freaking super magnet!!!

Espresso Geek, this just showed up in the classifieds.......

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/87659

NFI
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

20. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

@Charles E. - thanks for the link Charles. I will have to check it out!!!

I know what you mean by no stores, no mandos - I have to call Ghostbusters just to find strings around here. And the only mandos I actually see - well, it's not worth mentioning that junk. There's a problem just finding mandos even in the big city scene - at least the internet doesn't mention where in Canada. They list distributors, or stores that supposedly carry them - but those stores have none of them on the menu. Starving. I found mine in an ad on kijiji - used, that saved a lot of money. I have seen ads for a few Eastman's, one was an 800series for about 750 - guy was up north in Ontario - he offered to offset the gas cost by drop price to 675. I declined. Travel cost made it 800.

The ads go dry, and then suddenly there's a rush on tons of them - unpredictable. Saw a gorgeous martin recently; but it need like 500 in repair - it was a 40's for 450 - add repairs, no deal. Lots of cheapies all the time tho. 100.

I think the ads would bring more in the states; but there's no warranty on used stuff. You gotta know what you are looking at. The potential savings is good tho.

That blem might be really good - if the blems are insignificant. All you need is a good setup, and you are playing and learning more. Also the blems will be insignificant after you carve your initials into the back.

Yeh, cool your jets for a bit. Just don't open this thread for a couple days. It's hard to ignore all the attention and the help and the discussion. I am so hooked on this place, it's insane. I have a zillion things to do. So here I am again. omg.

= Harmony, Monterrey c.1969 = collapsed ply - parts, testing, training, firewood.

23. The following members say thank you to MysTiK PiKn for this post:

@MysTiK PiKn - wha?! ThE!? Carve my initials into the back of my mando?! He, he!!! You would not believe the heart attack I nearly had when I got my first ding in my Martin D-18. But yeah, guess those nicks and dings give the instrument character. And yes, the forums here are addicting. So much info and very good help and advice for us newcomers.
    -SO, I am close to pulling the trigger on the Eastman MD 515 with the blem at the Mandolin Store. Have been in contact with Brian there. Super helpful and knowledgeable. Just need to get the approval of the wife. Took me years to get the approval on the Martin. But, the mando isn't as expensive, at least this first mando won't be. Later, once I get a few years under my belt...... perhaps a nice Gibson or Northfield or Weber? We will see. Still want to get a 12-string Martin. And a nice National for those slide blues!!! Ummm.... where was I? Oh yes. Mandolins. Enjoy playing/learning on the mando that a coworker loaned me. Did some fingerpicking on it this morning. Sounded really nice!! Okay. Until later. Thanks to all here for there helpful advice. Getting closer to that scroll !!!
    -

Time to pull the trigger, bro.

You can research and compare and over-think your choices forever. You're not buying a house, picking a spouse, choosing a college or deciding on a career. Heck, you're not even buying a car. If you select the wrong mandolin, the sun still rises, the birds continue to sing in the trees, and you trade in the mandolin you don't like, on a new one that you do like.

That's how it goes, here in the wondrous Mando Universe. Or, if you're like me, you keep the one you sorta like, and buy four others that you like a little more, and everyone thinks you're nuts. With good reason.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

@allenhopkins - your words are all too true !!!! The longer I think this over, the chances are this great opportunity will pass me by. Time to pull the trigger on the Eastman MD 515 blem...... but I just noticed this mando in the classifieds.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/87467 Hmmm...... looks to be pretty sweet!!! Ah heck. I am just a newbie mando player. Do I really need that mando?

28. The following members say thank you to Espresso Geek for this post:

@allenhopkins - your words are all too true !!!! The longer I think this over, the chances are this great opportunity will pass me by. Time to pull the trigger on the Eastman MD 515 blem...... but I just noticed this mando in the classifieds.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/87467 Hmmm...... looks to be pretty sweet!!! Ah heck. I am just a newbie mando player. Do I really need that mando?
    That's not a bad price. I'd probably go for that if the seller had an approval period. If you didn't like it, you could sell it and get almost all of your money back, since the seller is taking the depreciation hit already.

Like Allen said, don't get caught up in Analysis Paralysis. Buy one and play it. Repeat as necessary...

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Austin Bob For This Useful Post:

post deleted
    Last edited by MysTiK PiKn; Jun-19-2015 at 11:35pm.

@MysTiK PiKn - thanks for the PM!!!

33. The following members say thank you to Espresso Geek for this post:

The Mandolin Store is a real store .. well known and trusted .. if I'm buying online I'd go with a store vs a classified ad posted by a private individual .. just saying.

35. The following members say thank you to jlsmando for this post:

@jlsmando - that is sound advice. I think if you were to purchase a mando you would certainly want the seller to give you an approval period like Austin Bob talks about. Anyway, I am purchasing mando for the Mandolin Store. I was in touch with Brian and he has been very helpful. Plus they will set up the mando, free shipping and a lifetime warranty. Plus getting a great deal on top of all that. Felt really comfortable about buying my first mando there. Had some uneasy feelings about that 815. Play on!!!!

@EspressoGeek: Those Eastman finishes check and scratch like nobody's business!

Mine seems to attract more marks after every gig and occasional finish checking/cracking - more so than my other instruments. Doesn't do anything negative to the sound at all.

Anyway, finish checking on these instruments is par for the course.

38. The following members say thank you to msargent for this post: