Thread: The Stable

Default The Stable

The Loar 520VS - bought from a Cafe member and very happy. This is after the Floridectomy and a good amount of finish removal. I've been travelling all over Montana lately and as this is the newest mandolin for me so it's been with me. It has stood up well to the vehicle/room/office transfers and stays in tune.

Kentucky 272 - Another Pac-Rim but I really like it for my Americana/Folk fetish. I love me an oval hole sound and this delivers very well. The only mandolin I have now that I haven't been tempted to remove the finish.

Fender 53S - Bought this a few years ago as my starter. And ya know this thing has floated the Blackfoot and Missouri rivers, been on countless roadtrips including the Northwest String Summit. It stays in tune all the time, way beyond what I should expect from all the abuse I put it through. It has a NATO top and back... I swear you could pound nails with this thing. Honestly the sound is a little thin, but knowing I can stick this in a truck, raft, tent for the day and play it around the campfire later- without worrying about it is awesome!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150607_144436_hdr.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	135024

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The Stable

Lou,
    Where in the Big Sky do you live?

I'm in Helena. Work any where from Billings to Missoula... Good place for traveling that's for sure. Gonna be in Billings this coming week and hoping the Stillwater clears up enough to toss a few flies!

I live in Helena too.

Do you ever go to the Tuesday Ox open jam?

Not in quite awhile, too noise with the bar next to the stage. I wear hearing aids and the noise level hurts.

Understood... it is a little chaotic.

Lou,

The upper Stillwater usually clears before the lower stretches. It's gorgeous up around Nye, but access is better in the Bliss area.

David
    You can't get there from here.

Thanks! Gonna check it out...