Thread: Central Ky Area?

Default Central Ky Area?

Are there any jams anyone knows of in the central Kentucky area? (I'm in Lexington) I've been playing for about a year and still have a lot to learn and I've been told by many to go to jams BUT I can't seem to find anything. Suggestions?

Thanks!!!!
    Proud owner of a Breedlove Premier Series Limited Edition FF!

Default Re: Central Ky Area?

I know that they are having some workshops at the Festival of the Bluegrass this coming week. Seems like that would be a real good place to mingle and find out about some jams.

Try asking Ken Holbrook. He has taught half of the pickers in the central Kentucky area, so he might know where they jam.

Hi Melissa, I used to live in Lexington and would pick from time to time with the "firehouse pickers" (look for the Facebook page) - an open jam of folk/bluegrassy stuff. They meet at Crestwood Christian Church on Tuesdays and Saturdays from 6:30 - 9:30 or so. Real nice folks, and you'd feel welcome to play with them. Tell Gary and Sonny that Dave says hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave LaBoone View Post
    Hi Melissa, I used to live in Lexington and would pick from time to time with the "firehouse pickers" (look for the Facebook page) - an open jam of folk/bluegrassy stuff. They meet at Crestwood Christian Church on Tuesdays and Saturdays from 6:30 - 9:30 or so. Real nice folks, and you'd feel welcome to play with them. Tell Gary and Sonny that Dave says hi.
    Great! Thanks! I'll check it out. I've never, ever played with people before and I think this will help me develop as I'm sorta stuck right now on where to go next.
    Proud owner of a Breedlove Premier Series Limited Edition FF!

Melissa, did you ever find a group to play with? i'm new and in the Frankfort area and like you kind of stuck but would like to find some help as well. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CSIMelissa View Post
    Great! Thanks! I'll check it out. I've never, ever played with people before and I think this will help me develop as I'm sorta stuck right now on where to go next.
    Hi Melissa, I can confirm that the Firehouse Pickers are alive and well at Crestwood Christian in Lexington. I've been going off and on for about 6 months now and have really enjoyed it. I also think it has helped my playing, especially improvising on breaks. We regularly have pickers of all skill levels and all are welcome.

Hope to see you sometime soon (and anyone else in the area, for that matter). Get started around 6:30 on Tuesdays and Saturdays, go until everyone's spouses start calling.

8. The following members say thank you to cwgivens21 for this post:

Thanks cwgivens..i would really be interested of joining in sometime if just to listen in for a couple of sessions. i'm a complete newbie..but i sure do enjoy playing this mandolin I've got!

Quote Originally Posted by A#Bb View Post
    Thanks cwgivens..i would really be interested of joining in sometime if just to listen in for a couple of sessions. i'm a complete newbie..but i sure do enjoy playing this mandolin I've got!
    Come on out, we'd be glad to have you. I have also heard that there is a Thursday night jam at the Kentucky Coffeetree Café in Frankfort. I have never been, but I've talked to a few people that have and they say it's a good time. Might be worth checking out as well.

Cool..that's right down the road from me! I will definitely check it out! Thanks!

If anyone knows of similar things going on in Louisville, I would love to know! ��

Quote Originally Posted by RevDrJo View Post
    If anyone knows of similar things going on in Louisville, I would love to know! ��
    I haven't been to this jam myself, just heard about it from a fiddle playing friend of mine in Louisville. I found the flyer on the Bluegrass Anonymous FB page. They seem to post quite a bit of info about BG shows and jams in and around Louisville.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	good wood jam.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	137395

The uke in the pic is a little confusing for a bluegrass jam huh?

Good Luck!!

14. The following members say thank you to Ky Slim for this post:

Hi, just noticed this thread. Thanks for posting the above flyer, KY Slim.

Yes, my band hosts a jam on Saturday afternoons in downtown Louisville. We usually have anywhere from 8-15 people depending on the week. It averages about 10 people weekly I guess. We play from 4-6:30 and there is a good mix of instrumentation. We try to be very friendly to beginners as we're mostly just starting off ourselves having just started playing in the past few years. We are trying to be foreward in organizing so it's a good jam, trying to make sure we discuss jam etiquette, etc, and that the jam keeps rolling and we don't chat too much between songs. It's a really fun afternoon with a good and diverse mix of people. Some really great musicians show up too...

Yeah... it's weird to have a uke in the flier. None of us are great with graphic arts and a friend printed those up for free unexpectedly. (Why couldn't it be a mandolin?!?!?!)
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

Old time jam Thursday evenings in Berea, Ky.
    Acton Folk Center, or the cabin in front of the train station.
    Starts @ 7pm
    Nice folks and good music.
    Enjoy.
    Have more dogs than friends.

Registered User agirlandheryarn's Avatar

I'm new to mando playing, but I have a beautiful mando and a real desire to connect with others and learn. I live in the Louisville/Prospect area.

I'd love to come to some jams. I'm sure I'd watch and learn a lot at first and then in time, participate and learn!

I'd love to find some mandolin playin! people! Other instruments just make it all the cooler!!

agirlandheryarn in addition to the goodwood jam on Saturdays you may also want to check out the Louisville Folk School beginner jam on the first and third fridays at the Clifton Center in Louisville. http://louisvillefolkschool.org/page...ly-jam-session